Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Petal Power Bowtique
Registered Users
Formerly: PeasandCarrotsBaby
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding in the news (and NOT in a good way)

WHAT!? Formula is wonderful?! What a crock. This really made me sick. Just another excuse for moms who just plain don't want to bf to say "See, look, it's not as great for your kid as everybody says". The truth is when you choose not to bf, you ARE putting you child at risk for obesity, asthma, etc. It is not like the fact that breastfeeding can reduce the incidence of those things was just made up by a bunch of crazy hippie moms, or something. There ARE facts behind it, unlike her so-called "case" against breastfeeding. And the worst part is, she goes on to say she's NOT against nursing... so why name your article that? It seems like this woman's writing career need a boost, and this is her way of drawing some media attention. I am disgusted. And yes, SOME women, like, a minute percentage, CAN'T breastfeed. The rest are simply too lazy to put in the effort, or just have no interest in bf'ing. I am so tired of hearing this CAN'T garbage. It is what your body is DESIGNED to do. 100 years ago, your baby faced death if you couldn't breastfeed, and I guarantee there were a lot less women back then running around saying they just couldn't do it. Please, if you are one of the FEW women who honestly could not breastfeed, do not be offended. For example, if a mom is on a medication that she absolutely needs, and it is not compatible w/ breastfeeding, that is a CAN'T situation. I am merely saying that there are a lot less CAN'T situations then some people would have you think. And "Oh, we need to support young mothers." Please! This 22 year old mom of 2 has been nursing for 4 years straight (on march 11th!) and I don't need THAT kind of support, thank you very much. Some people call handing a mom who just gave birth a bag of formula on her way out of the hospital "support" too. I call it sabotage.

Advertisement

-Suzanne

Need Long Sleeve Lap Tees? Petal Power Bowtique's Got 'Em! Adorable Appliques! Blanks Available Too!
Petal Power Bowtique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeasandCarrotsBaby View Post
WHAT!? Formula is wonderful?! What a crock. This really made me sick. Just another excuse for moms who just plain don't want to bf to say "See, look, it's not as great for your kid as everybody says". The truth is when you choose not to bf, you ARE putting you child at risk for obesity, asthma, etc. It is not like the fact that breastfeeding can reduce the incidence of those things was just made up by a bunch of crazy hippie moms, or something. There ARE facts behind it, unlike her so-called "case" against breastfeeding. And the worst part is, she goes on to say she's NOT against nursing... so why name your article that? It seems like this woman's writing career need a boost, and this is her way of drawing some media attention. I am disgusted. And yes, SOME women, like, a minute percentage, CAN'T breastfeed. The rest are simply too lazy to put in the effort, or just have no interest in bf'ing. I am so tired of hearing this CAN'T garbage. It is what your body is DESIGNED to do. 100 years ago, your baby faced death if you couldn't breastfeed, and I guarantee there were a lot less women back then running around saying they just couldn't do it. Please, if you are one of the FEW women who honestly could not breastfeed, do not be offended. For example, if a mom is on a medication that she absolutely needs, and it is not compatible w/ breastfeeding, that is a CAN'T situation. I am merely saying that there are a lot less CAN'T situations then some people would have you think. And "Oh, we need to support young mothers." Please! This 22 year old mom of 2 has been nursing for 4 years straight (on march 11th!) and I don't need THAT kind of support, thank you very much. Some people call handing a mom who just gave birth a bag of formula on her way out of the hospital "support" too. I call it sabotage.
I totally agree with you. The saddest part is what percentage of women (and men) are going to believe that crock? From women who will eventually become mothers to women and men who will be there to support them and just don't take the time to do the research.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand that some moms have troubles bfing or other circumstances that prevent it, and they shouldn't feel bad if they can't, but I do not think it should be encouraged as a choice for the sake convience or whatnot.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
naykeewabbits
Registered Users

My Mood:

Even my friends who BF and had to suddenly and sadly stop say the difference is obvious, and they are not talking about health! I don't care what they say.... I would have it NO OTHER WAY! This is what the core of my being says is right for me to do and I have super happy healthy , ell adjusted kids to prove it! 3 kids, no ear infections.. EVER!
naykeewabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the article also sadly deemphasized the bond that is created by breastfeeding. It is amazing to nurture and feed your child from your own body. Even when breastfeeding is difficult or frustrating (thrush, for example) it makes me feel close to my son. It is the ultimate show of love for another being.
flynnsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #16
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am just sad! Wow, what an awful article.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #17
MRL2611
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am always the oddball with these articles. My healthiest kids were my formula fed ones. Dakota is my only child what has never had a drop of formula and has had ear infections since she was 2months old and now we are looking at tubes If you can give breastfeeding the time and effort to make it work- great. If not don't beat yourself up about it, formula is okay too
Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #18
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like someone got a formula company endorsement if you ask me!!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #19
twolittlebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeasandCarrotsBaby View Post
And yes, SOME women, like, a minute percentage, CAN'T breastfeed. The rest are simply too lazy to put in the effort, or just have no interest in bf'ing. I am so tired of hearing this CAN'T garbage.
Wow. I just don't get it. Yes, those articles are bad. Breastmilk is usually best. But sometimes it doesn't work out for women for numerous reasons and I don't see why we need to make women feel guilty for that by calling them too lazy.

Anyway... I don't agree with the articles or the way they portray BFing. It's too bad a lot of people may read those and think at least trying to BF isn't worth it.

Last edited by twolittlebirds; 03-17-2009 at 10:56 AM.
twolittlebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #20
Treighsie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did FF my first DS... although I breastfed her for 4 months... even in the hosptial, in the NICU... I was told "If we run out of breastmilk (that i pumped) it's okay, we'll just give her formula"... and at 19 I didn't question them....

HOWEVER... I then EBF'ed all 3 of my DS's (am currently EBF) and I love it!! I love it for every reason imaginable. I wish I could convince more women to do it because they don't know the joy they are missing.

These articles make me sad.
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote