Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #21
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding in the news (and NOT in a good way)

I agree about the "unimaginable joy", that was the biggest surprise about breastfeeding for me. I was expecting it to be hard and a battle, when it has turned out to be so wonderful.

Advertisement

flynnsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #22
Chabby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Terrible! As so many of you already said, we have enough formula advertising, women need more support to stick with EBF, which can be difficult in certain circumstances.

I agree that if a woman can't or won't BF she can still be a great mom, and she shouldn't be critizised. But putting BF down for their sake? I'm sorry, but that's just too much.

BTW, where does she live? Being put in the corner for not BF? Wow! In my country, unfortunately is the other way around, the huge issue is to NIP! Handing a child a bottle of formula is the common thing to do.
Chabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloecat View Post
sounds like someone got a formula company endorsement if you ask me!!

Just what women in the US needed - another reason NOT to breastfeed

Breast is best
If you tried and cant - hey you tried
If you are just to lazy why have kids at all
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #24
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeasandCarrotsBaby View Post
WHAT!? Formula is wonderful?! What a crock. This really made me sick. Just another excuse for moms who just plain don't want to bf to say "See, look, it's not as great for your kid as everybody says". The truth is when you choose not to bf, you ARE putting you child at risk for obesity, asthma, etc. It is not like the fact that breastfeeding can reduce the incidence of those things was just made up by a bunch of crazy hippie moms, or something. There ARE facts behind it, unlike her so-called "case" against breastfeeding. And the worst part is, she goes on to say she's NOT against nursing... so why name your article that? It seems like this woman's writing career need a boost, and this is her way of drawing some media attention. I am disgusted. And yes, SOME women, like, a minute percentage, CAN'T breastfeed. The rest are simply too lazy to put in the effort, or just have no interest in bf'ing. I am so tired of hearing this CAN'T garbage. It is what your body is DESIGNED to do. 100 years ago, your baby faced death if you couldn't breastfeed, and I guarantee there were a lot less women back then running around saying they just couldn't do it. Please, if you are one of the FEW women who honestly could not breastfeed, do not be offended. For example, if a mom is on a medication that she absolutely needs, and it is not compatible w/ breastfeeding, that is a CAN'T situation. I am merely saying that there are a lot less CAN'T situations then some people would have you think. And "Oh, we need to support young mothers." Please! This 22 year old mom of 2 has been nursing for 4 years straight (on march 11th!) and I don't need THAT kind of support, thank you very much. Some people call handing a mom who just gave birth a bag of formula on her way out of the hospital "support" too. I call it sabotage.
Wow okay, let me rip apart your little shiny rainbow world where I'm a lazy mom because I gave my girls formula. I TRIED MY A$$ off to bf. I cried tears of pain, agony and despair over the fact that I couldn't. Don't you DARE insinuate that I was lazy about it. I tried until my nipples literally scabbed over and the milk couldn't even come out. I had masititis 3 times in a span of a month. Nothing in my life has caused me more pain. And it's women like YOU, who turn me off to the "magic" of bf, not articles like these. I thought the article had many good points. And Ironically, the daughter I breastfed the longest (3 months) has diabetes and my formula fed daughter is a million times more healthy than she ever was through infancy. There is absolutely NO concrete studies to show that bfing prevents this. Is bfing best? Sure it is! Is it a magical thing that makes your baby healthier than mine?...prove it.
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #25
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weintz8 View Post

Just what women in the US needed - another reason NOT to breastfeed

Breast is best
If you tried and cant - hey you tried
If you are just to lazy why have kids at all
So in order to be given the right to have children, we must bf?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #26
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolittlebirds View Post
Wow. I just don't get it. Yes, those articles are bad. Breastmilk is usually best. But sometimes it doesn't work out for women for numerous reasons and I don't see why we need to make women feel guilty for that by calling them too lazy.

Anyway... I don't agree with the articles or the way they portray BFing. It's too bad a lot of people may read those and think at least trying to BF isn't worth it.
Thanks for that first part. But what I gleaned from the article and I think many who read it...is that giving formula to your kid isn't the end of the world...it actually was a life saver for my family.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #27
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabby View Post
BTW, where does she live? Being put in the corner for not BF? Wow! In my country, unfortunately is the other way around, the huge issue is to NIP! Handing a child a bottle of formula is the common thing to do.
I don't recall in any part of the article that insinuated that bfing was a bad idea. In fact, many times it said, Yes! bfing is best!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #28
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRL2611 View Post
I am always the oddball with these articles. My healthiest kids were my formula fed ones. Dakota is my only child what has never had a drop of formula and has had ear infections since she was 2months old and now we are looking at tubes If you can give breastfeeding the time and effort to make it work- great. If not don't beat yourself up about it, formula is okay too
I think bfing is awesome...just not the end all be all. My mental health was more important to me than bfing my child....

Sorry I'm posting so much, just some seem to need serious enlightenment to the DARK side of feeding your child.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #29
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

ok.. so there were a lot of WRONG things in those articles.. that woman (the case) had ISSUES. seriously.

anwyay.. she said that in human milk antibodies go into the intestines and not into the blood stream as in other mammals .. but what it failed to note was that in humans when the intestines are immature (pre-6 mo , before they are ready for solids) whatever the baby eats/nutrients etc. can go through the intestines... directly into the bloodstream.. which is why/how allergies are increased when given solids or milk too early.. DUH.

did anyone else catch that?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRL2611 View Post
I am always the oddball with these articles. My healthiest kids were my formula fed ones. Dakota is my only child what has never had a drop of formula and has had ear infections since she was 2months old and now we are looking at tubes If you can give breastfeeding the time and effort to make it work- great. If not don't beat yourself up about it, formula is okay too
I would say that your unhealthiest child is much healthier because of your choice to BF her. Thank goodness she is breastfed, because she would likely be much worse off if she didn't have those benefits to help her along. I'm sorry you may need to get her tubes. I'm not sure if you're nursing or pumping, but remember that it's bottle-feeding that can contribute to more ear infections as well, so even if you're giving her breastmilk in a bottle, that can contribute to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
Wow okay, let me rip apart your little shiny rainbow world where I'm a lazy mom because I gave my girls formula. I TRIED MY A$$ off to bf. I cried tears of pain, agony and despair over the fact that I couldn't. Don't you DARE insinuate that I was lazy about it. I tried until my nipples literally scabbed over and the milk couldn't even come out. I had masititis 3 times in a span of a month. Nothing in my life has caused me more pain. And it's women like YOU, who turn me off to the "magic" of bf, not articles like these. I thought the article had many good points. And Ironically, the daughter I breastfed the longest (3 months) has diabetes and my formula fed daughter is a million times more healthy than she ever was through infancy. There is absolutely NO concrete studies to show that bfing prevents this. Is bfing best? Sure it is! Is it a magical thing that makes your baby healthier than mine?...prove it.
I'm sorry you had such a rough time. I read your post and I could have written it myself. I never cried so much as the first three months of nursing my son. I also had mastitis three times (that fever! the pain! OMG!). Thankfully, I was able to get through that difficult time and have gone on to nurse my son for 2.5 years (and counting!). Again, breastfeeding didn't cause your daughter's diabetes. And I'm guessing she has type 1, not type 2 (which is the kind caused by obesity that you develop later in life as a result of poor diet, etc.). Type 2 is the kind that breastfeeding lowers the risk of. Also, keep in mind three months is really a short amount of time when it comes to giving your child the benefits of nursing. But don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you gave her such a great start!

I'm the most radically pro-BFing mom you'll meet, but I also know that almost every mom I know is doing the best they can with the information they have. If that means formula, then that means formula. I try, really, really hard, not to judge, but I'll admit it's difficult. Because breastfeeding was hands down the HARDEST THING I have ever done in my life. But I did it. And I'll do it again.

For me, personally, you couldn't pay me ANY amount of money to not breastfeed my children - I believe so wholeheartedly in the physical, mental, emotional and psychological benefits. I really believe my children will be healthier, smarter and more secure (not than YOUR child, but than MY children WOULD HAVE BEEN had I not breastfed them) as a result.

Last edited by Riverdavidsmama; 03-17-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Riverdavidsmama is offline   Reply With Quote