Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: AFO? Anyone's child wear one?

DD wears them. We bought her the Walmart sneakers and took the padding out. I've also gotten shoes at Target. Since her feet don't touch them, I don't worry about them being high quality. She just wears 2 sizes up. The nice thing is that the AFOs don't change size, so she's been in the same size shoes for 6 months, and has a couple more months in them.

If it is hurting, it probably isn't fitted right. DD has never complained, and will willingly put them on. She has bilateral toe walking, so she can more or less walk without them.

We wear Circo brand socks from Target and the Old Navy socks. We never wear them without socks. She's not had red marks ever. In some of the pics, she has on fake crocs.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 04-03-2009 at 10:25 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
rileykidmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd has been wearing them for 3 yrs. She has SB and was a heel walker before surgery. I agree with a lot of the other mamas; if it hurts, it needs to be taken back to the orthotist. Ellie has never complained about them; we get new ones each year as she grows. We get her the cheapo Athletic Works shoes from WM and take out the insoles. She also wears fake crocs, like Kristen's lo. She never goes without socks, and has even taken them in the wading pool with her: shoes, socks, AFOs and all. They're just a pain to dry out; we're pretty hard on them. But Ellie can't really walk without them, so whatcha gonna do?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I LOVE the dinosaurs!!!! They are adorable.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
rileykidmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, Kristen! Ellie's such the tomboy (hence the dinos); I just love that she likes to be outdoors as much as I do. Of course, that doesn't bode well for her AFOs either. Oh well; we just clean them as best we can and get back to "work".
Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileykidmama View Post
Thanks, Kristen! Ellie's such the tomboy (hence the dinos); I just love that she likes to be outdoors as much as I do. Of course, that doesn't bode well for her AFOs either. Oh well; we just clean them as best we can and get back to "work".
Those are cute!
Ds has had spiderman on his last 3 sets. He is very rough and broke the hinges on one pair once and we had to get the next ones re-inforced. I wish we could get cheaper shoes but he would shred them apart in no time flat. He shreds the soles off shoes quickly b/c he drags his toes and he crawls sometimes too. New Balances are the only shoes that he doesn't completely deconstruct in a few days.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #16
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

Ok so I'm MOSTLY used to the AFO by now. Mostly. I have to wear two socks or the hinge rubs and makes me nuts.
Now I do need to call the guy who made them though. For some reason (that I can't figure out) after about 3-5 hours of wearing them and walking in them, the ball of my foot starts aching and my toes tingle. Its a horrible feeling, very painful actually and I have to take the AFO off. Kinda awkward since my shoe is a size too big on the right and I don't have an insole lol
I want to be able to walk in this thing like normal - not stop after a few hours!!! grr. Not cool AFO!!!
One good thing - I've only fallen once since wearing it. That was my own fault though. I put it on and didn't have a shoe on...on hardwood floors. Yeah, they should put non-slip lining on these things!
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote