Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is this what child-led weaning looks like?

DD is 27 months, so I highly doubt this is a nursing strike or anything, lol. She had been nursing about once/day, usually right after her afternoon nap. Sometimes we skip it b/c of circumstances and/or she doesn't ask or whatever. But several times over the past week, she'll wake up and ask for mah (her word for nursing), and then a few seconds later she changes her mind and asks for a cuppy of milk, or a cuppy of juice, or crackers, or something else. That part is not new. What IS new is that now, once she changes her mind about mah, I can't bring her back to the idea. I'll ask her if she wants some mah first, and she'll repeat the non-mah request. Even if I sit her down in the chair w/ me and show it to her, she pushes it away. I am 11 weeks pregnant but I still have plenty of milk, on both sides (despite not having used the right side for several weeks now). Another thing is that while DD has never been a slow nurser (even as a newborn she was an "eat and get it done" baby and didn't nurse for longer than 10 minutes), on the instances where she DOES stay in the mood for mah, she's done after only a minute or two.

We've had a wonderful nursing relationship thus far, and I was kind of looking forward to tandeming this fall (and who knows, maybe it could still happen), but I'm not sure how to feel about her different behavior. I'm so SO glad I had DH take a few nursing pictures last month, since they may be the last ones I have w/ DD. I just really don't know what to think yet about the possibility. I thought I was ready, but I am almost crying here while typing this all out.

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
lguse
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is this what child-led weaning looks like?

I have no real advice, but just wanted to offer some , mama.

Sounds a bit like weaning, but she could always pick back up...
Old 03-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
kitty1163
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It does sound like weaning. I cried for a week when dd1 stopped. She just never asked for it after Valentines Day 2005. It's tough ... such a sweet and wonderful experience.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's been a couple of days now....
Old 03-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I can just share with you what has been my experience with my dd. My dd was 27 months when I got pregnant again. At that time she was nursing about 5 times a day still. Within 3 months, she had cut way down to about once a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but on average about once a week. I was sure that she would continue to nurse less and less and that she would be completely done by the time the new baby came. I was open to that or to tandeming, whichever way it went, but it just seemed like she was going to be done soon at the rate she was going. BUT, she has kept up this once a week nursing for 6 months! Baby is due very soon now, and I'm now pretty sure now that we will be tandeming some. I wonder if she will keep once a week or increase it once baby is here, or what - at this point, I just know that I can't predict it at all!
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
clothmomof3
Registered Users
seller

Maybe your milk has a different taste and she is having a hard time adjusting to it I would just continue to offer and see where she leads you. Good Luck mama
Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

I would say it is probably pregnancy related.. it probably tastes funny or something.. she may pick back up.. may not, may keep up once a week or every few days until your milk comes back after baby.. my milk dried up at about that point too.. are you engorged or you can just express milk so you know its there?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can express milk. I haven't been engorged in a long time. I did offer to her the other day and she took it same as the past few months, but she's pretty much stopped asking on her own.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd just turned 3 yesterday and I am 25 weeks pregnant. I have been hoping dd would wean, but no such luck. She is verbal and tells me when my milk is all gone, and she does not nurse very long at a time, but she still wants to nurse!! I have stopped offering, and it is more on her request. She still nurses 2-4 times per day. I will be a little sad when she does wean completely as it is a sweet bond, nursing a toddler!
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
**Lisa**
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like weaning. i have hear of milk tasting different and things changing during pregnancy. It is hard thinking about weaning, no matter what the age is. Your relationship with her will still be special...