Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
JMBaby
Registered Users

My Mood:
Exclamation Who here has never had a major problem?

Sometimes after reading all of the "stink issue" threads and the "persistent rash" threads and the "I've stripped 125 times but they still stink" threads, it makes you wonder why you ever started CDing in the first place.

Not to mention some of the routines are insane...

"Well, first I spray every item with bac-out, then it all goes in the washer and I use 1/2 recommended Charlie's and do a cold wash.

"Then I take everything out, inspect it thoroughly, going over rough spots with a toothbrush. I put everything back in the washer and put in 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/4 recommended Calgon, 1/2 recommended Tide, 3/4 tablespoon tea tree oil, 1/5 cup bac-out, and a shamrock for good luck.

"Then I start my washing machine on hot but halfway through filling I switch it to warm because too hot will ruin the elastic.

"When the final rinse starts I but another 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 scoop oxi clean and say a prayer.

"I also do an extra wash with nothing to make sure everything I just over-dosed my diapers in is washed out.

"And now that I've wasted 57 gallons of water and $20 worth of different cleaning supplies I feel better that I'm saving money by hanging my diapers out to dry instead of using the dryer."

I want to hear from those of us who have a fairly simple routine, no stink issues, no chemical burns, no weekly stripping, no running down to our washer 300 times to add or subtract, no 2nd, 3rd or 5th wash to make sure everything is rinsed clean and a happy, healthy baby on the other end.

Not to say we haven't had the occasional rash or a moment we've had to do a second wash because something still smelt off or an afternoon of sunning because of a stain or two, but in general we have it pretty good.

Let's raise our voice and give encouragement! It can be done!

Advertisement

Last edited by JMBaby; 03-19-2009 at 10:51 AM.
JMBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who here has never had a major problem?

The only problem I had was when I tried Tide and my kids got a bad rash. I could not get the enzymes out so I bought all new. But I own a diaper store so it wasn't that expensive to do.

Other than that, no big problems and my routine is easy:

Spray poopy dipes.

Cold prewash with white vinegar, hot wash with Allens or Mountain Green, cold rinse, another hot wash. Dry on hot and done.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

LOL that was really funny. But I completely understand.

I've only had a handful of "issues."

My routine was:
spray poop diapers off with diaper sprayer, then spray with Bac-Out
cold-pre wash with no soap.
Wash on hot with charlie's soap (whole amount)
the post-wash with nothing in it.
Dry in dryer.

I started having stink issues. So I just did the hot water strip. After washing (like normal) I washed with no soap and put 2 large pans of boiling water in with the hot water. I realized quickly, that I had detergent build up. So I just kept rinsing and rinsing until no more bubbles.

Well, the next morning, there was NO ammonia stink in my diapers.

So When I washed today,
cold pre-wash, no soap
hot wash with HALF the amount of charlie's soap.
And then, I noticed in the rinse cycle, there were NO bubbles. So I skipped the extra rinse.

I'll let you know tomorrow morning how the ammonia smell is. If it's not there, then I figured out my problem.

But let me tell you... the other day was only the 2nd time in a little over a year that I needed to strip. So I guess I haven't been dong too badly.

I can say, that if I have more than 3 or 4 poopy diapers in the wash, I will add some Bac-Out to the rinse cycle of my pre-wash, and thne let soak for a few hours.

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
KingsDaughter76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never had any major issues in my many years.. since 1999 of cloth diapering my kids. Our trick is to stick with natural fabric diapering options...one cold pre rinse then use NORMAL amount of detergent (using TIDE currently) in HOT wash, one extra rinse and everything goes in dryer. (Covers are always washed with babys clothes and hung to dry). We never have had stink- no rashes.
Kellina ~Wife to a Cowboy & Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and YES we would love to have more! Baby #9 is here!! IT'S A GIRL!! Born Oct 1st 2014!!
Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus EARN Amazon giftcards for FREE!! Click to sign up for SWAGBUCKS!!
KingsDaughter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
HMinshall
Registered Users
seller

I have had no problems. We've been cding for almost 2 years. I use all pockets (various brands). I dump poop in the toilet (no spraying) and wash every third day. I dump everything in the washer, do a cold rinse (to get the rest of the poop off), then a hot wash and then throw everything in the dryer. Occasionally I do an extra rinse. The only time I had a stink issue was with one detergent, but I switched detergents and no problems.
HMinshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've never had repelling or major stink other than night time diapers a while back.

Quick prewash rinse with cold
Hot Soak with 4 Tbs of Washing Soda, 1 Tbs Dawn (and 4 squirts of Simple Green if there has been sickness) 4+ hours, usually overnight is easiest
Without draining, regular cycle wash and cold rinse
Either extra rinse or quick cycle in cold

It's time consuming because of the soak but relatively easy.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never really had any issues either! I had a bit of a stink issue with BG's when i was using Crunchy clean- but now that i use tide we are good(and we no longer use BG's) ! I do the initial prerinse- then wash on Hot with an extra rinse at the end- i nevr check for bubbles and i haven't had any repelling either- i have a FLer and use 1/2 to the 1 line of tide original HE.-- also i spray all poopy diapers before putting in the dry pail and spray them with Bac-out If i have it!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Kathy66
Registered Users
seller

You made me lol, but I'd love to know what you do actually do. Would you mind sharing your wash routine.

Personally I just do cold rinse with baking soda, than a hot wash cycle with about 3/4 of the normal amount of detergent and vinegar in the fabric softener compartment and one extra cold rinse added on the end, which my machine has a button for. I do have a FL, so think the extra rinse at the end is necessary, since it uses so little water.

I actually had a huge rash issue, that sent me to disposables, but the long story shortened is, that I am beginning to think it was the disposables that caused the rash in the first place.( I had used them a few times periodically. before the rash started)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBaby View Post
Sometimes after reading all of the "stink issue" threads and the "persistent rash" threads and the "I've stripped 125 times but they still stink" threads, it makes you wonder why you ever started CDing in the first place.

Not to mention some of the routines are insane...

"Well, first I spray every item with bac-out, then it all goes in the washer and I use 1/2 recommended Charlie's and do a cold wash.

"Then I take everything out, inspect it thoroughly, going over rough spots with a toothbrush. I put everything back in the washer and put in 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/4 recommended Calgon, 1/2 recommended Tide, 3/4 tablespoon tea tree oil, 1/5 cup bac-out, and a shamrock for good luck.

"Then I start my washing machine on hot but halfway through filling I switch it to warm because too hot will ruin the elastic.

"When the final rinse starts I but another 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 scoop oxi clean and say a prayer.

"I also do an extra wash with nothing to make sure everything I just over-dosed my diapers in is washed out.

"And now that I've wasted 57 gallons of water and $20 worth of different cleaning supplies I feel better that I'm saving money by hanging my diapers out to dry instead of using the dryer."

I want to hear from those of us who have a fairly simple routine, no stink issues, no chemical burns, no weekly stripping, no running down to our washer 300 times to add or subtract, no 2nd, 3rd or 5th wash to make sure everything is rinsed clean and a happy, healthy baby on the other end.

Not to say we haven't had the occasional rash or a moment we've had to do a second wash because something still smelt off or an afternoon of sunning because of a stain or two, but in general we have it pretty good.

Let's raise our voice and give encouragement! It can be done!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
Dreddin
Registered Users

My Mood:

So far, so good! I have been CDing a month with no stink issues or repelling. I wash every other day.
Cold Soak with a bit of vinegar
Cold wash with 1/4 Ecos Detergent
Hot Wash no detergent
Extra Rinse

About once a week I add 3 swirls of Dawn to my load to prevent repelling which I will do until I run out of my detergent. Then I am switching to Planet.
Dreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
GodStillTalks
Registered Users
seller

I've had a few bumps in the road, but no major problems. Bacout gave my babe a rash, but as soon as I stopped using it, that problem went away. We've had nighttime ammonia, but I don't classify that as a deal breaker because it was only once a day, and now that we use natural fibers it isn't a problem.

ETA: I've been CDing for 4 years.