Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Anyone had to take Miralax or the like while pregnant??

I am going to call my midwife tomorrow, but I've had major constipation issues this whole pregnancy, way worse then my other two. I have mild hyperemesis so I am still needing to take Zofran once sometimes twice a day so that I can keep food down.

My midwife told me stool softners were fine and I've been taking 2 every night, plus eating as much veggies and fruit as I can, AND eating fiber bars and fiber cereal.....I've used Milk of Mag when nothing else works, but I know as you get the 3rd trimester they don't like use to use that and it really isn't working as well as it did. Nothing is working very well.

I get so constipated it makes my nausea worse . I am nervous about taking anything else, but I think I have to.....I feel like my life revolves around you know what . Has anyone had this problem??

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone had to take Miralax or the like while pregnant??

SS mama- it really is the worst- I had no clue why old people complained of being backed up until I was pregnant and hadn't really cleared out for two weeks and finally had to give myself an enema- it was awful. I also had major hyperemesis . My doc finally cleared me to do regular enemas with just plain warm water because nothing worked and I was absolutely miserable the whole pregnancy. It was awful! Have you tried eating a couple of activia yogurts a day? This did help some! I had to finally switch to a prenatal without iron (though my doc was really upset by this) and I just ate lots more things with iron in it so I could process it better- this helped me some as well. Also- be careful about people telling you to take fiber pills- they backed me up bad- and bloated me up so bad. I know they have a different affect on everyone but I thought I would share. After I gave birth it was even worse- I was so backed up and in so much pain from hemmerroids and being so swollen- I couldn't go unless I was sitting in warm water and I bled like crazy from there- sorry if this is TMI . I'm not trying to freak you out but please be prepared for afterwards and take care of yourself so you don't have to go through what I did. Warm prune juice helps a lot also (I know it sounds ick but it's worth it!). Anyway- for my next (if there ever will be -this whole deal scared me away from this for a long while) pregnancy my plan of action is loads of water a day (I know I needed way more than what I was drinking), 2 activia yogurts a day and regular miralax- this is the route I suggest you try- who knows- maybe just the yogurt will do the trick! I hope things get better for you-it's so not fun being irregular and backed up!

Last edited by avidreader; 03-20-2009 at 01:36 AM.
avidreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #3
mamaholdyou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never took miralax although I know some people who did. Benefiber might be a good step between what you are doing already and that though. It now comes in flavored tubes you can mix into water bottled but so far I havent been impressed with the flavors.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
kaymurr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe try a natural fiber supplement. You can get any kind you want at your local health food store (chewable, caps, flavored, whatever) and in really amazingly high doses of fiber. My dd takes one daily because she just has constipation issues and had been prescribed Miralax.
kaymurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
mommyshannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Meagan, I've been in the same boat. I've done all the things you mentioned as well. I was constipated with my first two, all of the things that you mentioned would fix the problem. My doctor told me at my 18 week check-up that I could use Miralax, but I didn't buy any because I really didn't want to take a laxative. I had never used one before, and I didn't want to use something like that while pregnant. Well, this week (24 weeks) I broke down and used it. I took it once a day in hot RRL tea for 4 days and nothing happened. I was starting to think that I was never going to go to the bathroom again. I didn't take any yesterday because I didn't want to keep taking it if it wasn't working. Well, last night I went to the bathroom 3 times!! I feel great today!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I take Miralax! It's not actually a laxative, but a stool softener. I also take Zofran at least once a day. I eat insane amounts of fiber and veggies. Nothing was working, but the Miralax did work. If you have insurance, see of your doc/midwife will prescribe it for you because it's cheaper. I got a HUGE bottle of it for $5 and the regular Miralax is $9ish for a small bottle. I dissolved it in juice or water and it's tasteless. It won't work immediately. It took three or four days for it to work for me. Good luck! Constipation has been my worst enemy this pregnancy, besides the constant nausea.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
doranae
Registered Users

My Mood:

Do take the Miralax! I also take Zofran 2x a day and have horrible constipation. To make myself regular i take 15 pills of fiber a day or 3 servings of Benifiber (mixed in juice) and still have to do the Miralax every once in a while. I know fruits n vegis are the best fiber source but when you can't keep much down the fiber pills help.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
ericamichelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took Miralax when I was on Zofran. The constipation that Zofran causes is absolutely unbelievable.

I am high-risk, but my doc had no problem with me taking Miralax.

Hope you get back to normal soon.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama, get a good magnesium supplement. I promise it will work wonders. Magnesium is so good for you when you are pg and it loosens your stools. Get a good one at a reputable health food store. Start out with 200 mg before bed and if that isn't enough, work your way up to as much as you need. It's great for nerves and muscle cramps, too!