Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How many CD?

I am brand new to cloth diapering and my son is 18 months. With disposables, I don't change him but about 5 times a day. (It seems like he goes all at once or none at all. My question to all of you is how many cloth diapers should I get? BTW I am planning on getting Fuzzi Bunz. Any suggestions for CD. Like how do you clean them out, do you just put them in a bucket and clean them later... etc.

Thanks,

Misti

Advertisement

greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

Re: How many CD?

It all depends on how often you want to wash. If it's 2 or 3 days get like, 20. If you want to wash daily you'd only need like, 7. I put my dipes into a wetbag (not literally wet just a bag that does not leak the pee and poop into the outside and keeps the smells in) and wash every 2 to 4 days and I have no willpower at all so I have 32 diapers. This also includes my daycare stash of 7-9 diapes I keep there.
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

I started out with 12 Fuzzi Bunz. We didnt'/don't have a lot of money, so that was a huge investment for us!

But, it worked great! My son is 15 months old, so I don't change nearly as often as I would if he were younger. With 12 dipes I was doing a load of dipes sometimes every day, but usually every other day.

Since then I have been slowly building my stash when/if I can. Just buying one dipe at a time, or trying different kinds, etc.

I bought a regular old diaper pail from Target for like $8. It has a fliptop lid, and a little "disk" spot--to put a pail deodarizer in. I line mine with garbage liners, because I haven't had the money to buy a wetbag liner.

After I change my sons bum, I shake the insert into the pail and then throw the pocket in after it. I also use cloth wipes, so those go in the pail as well. With poopy dipes, I just shake the poop into the toilet and put everything else into the pail and leave it until wash day. If his poop is "sticky" (eww, I know!), then I shake off what I can, turn my diaper so the fleece is facing out, and fold it in half (does that make sense?), so that the poop is outward facing. I dip that part into the toilet (my hands are on the clean upper part), and swish it around until the gunk comes off. Then I toss it all into the pail. (I don't have to do that very often, since his poop is usually more solid at this age.) But, you can always invest in a minishower if you wanted.

I just keep it all in the pail until wash day. It really is fairly simple!!

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who does that with sticky poop! My mom was visiting and after a poopey diaper change I handed dd to her and went into the bathroom, after two flushes she came in and asked why in the world I was playing in the toilet. I explained it to her and she just kep looking at me like I was crazy! Recently I bought some rice paper liners for the pooey parts of the day (dd is very regular, almost to the hour) and just peel them off and flush, it is so much easier! I started with only 6 fuzzi bunz that fit dd (I also got 6 for ds but he ended up with a fleece allergy) and washed them every day and would triple stuff (to make it fit) one of ds for night time. Now we have 12 that fit dd (I still overstuff the larges to make them fit her if I am being really lazy about laundry though) and I usually do laundry every other day. Her daycare loves the fuzzi bunz too!
Old 05-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

I have a almost 15 month old and use FB exclusively now and wash every other day. I bought 12 FB but found I needed about 5 or so more just to be on the save side. I have some AIOs too so it's nice to have too many and not enough.
hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

i agree 18-20ish is a nice number for washing every other day. you'll probably have a few extra clean ones while you're doing laundry, but it makes it less of a rush to get it done if other stuff comes up. my 20 month old sometimes goes for several hours w/o wetting, so the # of diapers she goes through varies. but i'd say 6-7 or so is pretty usual.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree w/ pp about getting about 18-20, depending on washing frequency. I would add, though, that I wouldn't go all out on FuzziBunz, as you may find out you don't like them as well as you might think. We do use Fuzzis, but they aren't my favorite. We've found that side-snapping dipes fit both kids much better than front snapping. That being said, Fuzzis are really dependable. I would say buy a quantity that gets you some kind of price break (6 or 12) and then check out the FSOT board here to find other dipes to try out. My favorite pockets are Green Acre Designs (GADs) and BayBee (kind of hard to get) and Swaddlebees (but not good if you have a heavy wetter). I've never tried them, but many mamas like Fuzzi Fannies. Have fun shopping!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #8
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Nothing more to add since the other mamas already said it all! Just have fun exploring the CD world!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #9
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I dont know anyone that has came here and said "how many to start off with" has actually stuck to a numberr!!!!! They are SOOOO freaking addictive you cant stop even when you get to a good number!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hear ye hear ye I agree about the addiction! It's my daily activity to shop for diapers (how sad is that though I know you all understand).

I too agree with a previous poster about not getting too many of one kind. I love Happy Heinys and so thought I'd try Fuzzi Bunz and hated them. They just had a weird fit on DS. Also, I started out with pockets but have gone to fitteds and wool and LOVE my fitteds and wool now. You never know what you're going to like until you try it. If I were you I would get about 6 FB and 6 HH and decide which one you like better. Then if you like one more than the other, sell the other ones and get more or sell them and try some other different kinds.

Welcome to Diaper Anonymous...the place for cloth diapering addicts