Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you could raise your child all over again, what might you do differently?

I found an old thread on this.. and I am curious what everyone would say now.

I have a 12yo and I really wish that I taught her more how to do things herself when it comes to picking up or organizing. I go nuts with her messy room and it seems like I have to give her a task at a time in order to get it done! Other than that....she is a great kid

Advertisement

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Treighsie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you could raise your child all over again, what might you do differently?

I definitely would have used cloth dipes with the older 3...they are so much easier and better than I thought they were.
I also would have worn them more. I had a baby carrier, but it was nothing special and although I used it, I didn't use it for long. I LOVE the babyhawk I have now with Owen.
I would have followed through more. I tend to make threats, and then realize how unrealistic they are so I don't do it. Such as, if you don't stop you won't go to grammy's tonight... and then would think, "Aww, but that would be sad if she can't go..." and then let her go anyways. I am REALLY work on that with the older kids and will try harder with Owen.
I wish I wasn't so anxious and am trying to be less.
There are times I wish I hadn't said "In a minute..." and then forgot... I am trying harder with that too...
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
The*Fab*Four
Mama behind Jem*Jam Customs!
Formerly: Jem*Jam Customs
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you could raise your child all over again, what might you do differently?

I would have cd'ed, kept them rear facing longer and nursed longer ~ all the things I plan to do with this one
J{4.04}, J{11.05}, J {8.09}, J {3.11}
Sweet Baby Girl J will arrive the week of May 12th {34w} due to a Placenta Percreta.
The*Fab*Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
redone5683
Banned

Wish I wouldn't have vaccinated my ODS at all. Wish I would have CD him earlier. I wish I would have developed more patients...
I wish I would have started eating healthier with my ODS... makes me cringe to think what I fed him!!!
I wish I would have kept him rear facing longer. Wish I would have worn them more and in a better sling! Probably more but that's all I can think of! LOL!
redone5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nick is only 2.5 yrs old, but i wish i was better at disipline w/ him. he walks all over me and he has me wrapped around his litle finger, and knows it.
he knows that if mommy says no, just whine a little and sh'll crack
Old 03-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I would have used cloth with the older two and would've done vaccines differently with them as well. I would've nursed my oldest longer. Don't know that I could've done anything differently with my son in that department, though. I would not have started my oldest on solids so early, either. Probably would've started my son later, too, though he was around 6 months, so not real early. There is not a lot that I would've done differently with my youngest, though, and most of what I would do differently is in regards to my oldest. I think that's pretty normal though.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
waa510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennym91005 View Post
nick is only 2.5 yrs old, but i wish i was better at disipline w/ him. he walks all over me and he has me wrapped around his litle finger, and knows it.
he knows that if mommy says no, just whine a little and sh'll crack
I'm trying to get better with her, but it's hard to be consistent with a 4 month old strapped to me in a babyhawk ALL DAY. Timeouts don't seem to phase her much..it's so hard. I wish I knew how to be a better mama.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I wouldn't have gone for the induction, and I wouldn't have taken the c-section for DD. I'd have started cloth earlier.

Can't really think of anything else, but DD"s still young yet.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Though Madeline is only 3.5, I would of started CD'ing her sooner, also I would have moved her to her own bed a lot sooner (she's still in bed with us), mommy is just touched out (that and the combo of being 35 weeks pregnant, on bedrest for the past 7 weeks, she has to be touching me or up against me all night long when she sleeps). Don't get me wrong, I love co-sleeping and holding my baby, but I'm done with it right now....mommy needs a break and me time (even if is just me sleeping)
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
crunchymom2.0
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an 11 year old DD1 and I wish I would have had more education and support with breastfeeding and many other things. I had her when I was 17 and had to go back to school. I would have pumped in the nurse's office if I knew more about it and storage. Everyone assumed I was just another stupid teenage girl who got pregnant.

Also,
I used to get so upset at her getting dirty blah, blah that I didn't let her explore and learn enough. I would also have spent more time with her. But you have to do what you have to do to keep food on the table. I hope she knows that I did my best for her.

Luckily, I get to start over with DD2 and teach DD1 the way it should be for her kids