Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Pictures of my Converted Flips into Elementals..I love them! Added 4.0 pictures!!

This is something I have been contemplating for awhile.....just never took the time to come on and ask about it. Then a couple of days ago a super sweet momma posted about doing this.....and another great momma posted a link about how to do it.....so I did it! Finally.....I think I love them!

The insides of my new AIOs. . In the first picture I used a trifolded unmarked prefold that is bamboo/hemp and then a Geffen baby hemp fleece preold. The second picture is a Swaddlebees flat, a Dainty Rags hemp flat and a Geffen cut out to the pattern given. I like the looks of the one I cut out, but prefer more coverage of the others. I think my favorite will be the Swaddlebees and dainty Rags flats just because they are so trim. I can add a doubler or even 2 if we are going to church or out for groceries (which are about the only places I ever go!!).

I did sew through all layers to keep them nice and flat when washing.....

On a side note....I totally messed up when I sewed the cut out piece into the Flip. I put it too high up under the flap and I think I turned it the wrong way. It still works well and serves it's purpose. That's just what happens when you are in a hurry to sew something and have a 5 month old crying and a 2 yo and a 4.5 yo trying to "help" with him!! I will eventually take it off and fix it.....lol!

I am thinking about attaching my flats to my 4.0s also at the back.....I don't stuff them and just use them more as an AI2....I just wonder how that would work. I might have to try one.

ETA: make sure to read through all posts. . I have added in thoughts and tips throughout!!

I have also learned that prefolds are too bulky for my liking....harder to see through also.

ETA...again!

I have finished with my 4.0s and I am very happy with them. Through trial and error I found what I like best. I first used this thread to fold and sew the flats so they wouldn't be a pain when washing. These are with Diaper Rite size large flats. I didn't fold exactly as she did, but something similar as I wanted a bit wider coverage.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1223723

Then I experimented with different places to sew the flat to. I first tried the easiest place which was the outer flap. That went well, but I found it pulled some at the upper back when on baby....so I tried these other places. (There are pictures of this first placement by another momma later in this thread. )

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...3&postcount=30

Here are my other placements.....this was too the lower part of the pocket opening. It left the top part of the sewn together flat showing....not very pretty to look at, but that gets covered up by the top flap. The purple dots you see are for center placements.

Lays nicely....

This is my favorite. Slightly harder to sew since it is up under the top layer and a smaller space to sew onto, but easy enough that I can do it so anyone can.
It was so easy to put on baby and no bunching or tugging on the upper back like I found with the other placings.

Very trim....

Advertisement

Last edited by nicolehedges; 01-26-2014 at 12:09 PM.
nicolehedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pictures of my Converted Flips into Elementals.....I love them! <3

those are great.

I like the idea of doing it with the pockets. I just might have to try it on an old 3.0 I have.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #3
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
those are great.

I like the idea of doing it with the pockets. I just might have to try it on an old 3.0 I have.
Thanks! if you try it, please let me know.....I will post if I do it too!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolehedges View Post
Thanks! if you try it, please let me know.....I will post if I do it too!
Will do. I have a kid free/no work day tomorrow so I think I will try it.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
rachi882
Registered Users
seller

Great Job!! Those look amazing!
rachi882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
jessnye
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So cool!
jessnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mommas!! They are so nice! . I am going to dig through my flats and everything I have put away to see what else I can put together. Lol!!

Old 01-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you didn't want to sew it into an AIO you could always sew the absorbent in the flap style, add KAM snaps on 4 sides and to the cover. Course if they are all different sizes for different covers that would be annoying.

Very inventive -- I guess my only worry would be the sew holes created..
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
If you didn't want to sew it into an AIO you could always sew the absorbent in the flap style, add KAM snaps on 4 sides and to the cover. Course if they are all different sizes for different covers that would be annoying.

Very inventive -- I guess my only worry would be the sew holes created..
You are only sewing into the flaps so no need to worry about holes....especially if you use the right needles. Any teeny holes would close back up after a quick toss in the dryer. There isn't any sewing to the outer layer so no cause for worry there either.....