Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #101
anahrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky32982 View Post
Do you guys wash it with detergent afterwards or just rinse it till no more suds?
I rinsed all of mine in the bathroom sink. I rinsed and then squeezed each one out and then rinsed again for about 6 or 7 rinses for no more suds. After the last squeeze then I just threw them in the dryer. These smelled so bad before I did this. Now I smell no ammonia at all!

Advertisement

anahrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #102
OKKiddo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by anahrose View Post
I rinsed all of mine in the bathroom sink. I rinsed and then squeezed each one out and then rinsed again for about 6 or 7 rinses for no more suds. After the last squeeze then I just threw them in the dryer. These smelled so bad before I did this. Now I smell no ammonia at all!
I did this back in the middle of February and we're at the end of March now--no smell has returned in the inserts/dipes/prefolds that I used the concoction on. I even used several of the Fuzzi Bunz and their inserts overnight repeatedly (obviously I washed in between ) so that I could make sure that it had killed it all. No smell in any of them! Oh, and none of the dipes have broken down or shown any sign of wear from the bath that they got.
OKKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:04 AM   #103
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm so glad I read this. I've been battling the ammonia smell for weeks and a few hours soaking in this did the trick.
What I don't understand: I have NO microfiber, all of my dipes are cotton, bamboo or hemp, I use a non-sudsing, CD safe laundry detergent, and I always rinse! WTH could possibly have caused this horrible ammonia smell?!?! I've been cd'ing for 8 months, using the same detergent for approx. 3 months and have never encountered this before. It's driving me crazy! I'm so worried it's gonna happen again!

Last edited by SewGreenBaby; 03-30-2009 at 02:06 AM.
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #104
sjanea74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturally Pampered View Post
I'm so glad I read this. I've been battling the ammonia smell for weeks and a few hours soaking in this did the trick.
What I don't understand: I have NO microfiber, all of my dipes are cotton, bamboo or hemp, I use a non-sudsing, CD safe laundry detergent, and I always rinse! WTH could possibly have caused this horrible ammonia smell?!?! I've been cd'ing for 8 months, using the same detergent for approx. 3 months and have never encountered this before. It's driving me crazy! I'm so worried it's gonna happen again!
I had the ammonia stink on my pf when I washed with Charlies. I could get rid of it for a few uses at a time then it'd come back. I had to switch to Tide to get rid of the stink. This time around (I'm getting NEW pf tomorrow from GMD) I'm going to try country save and see if that keeps the stink away. I figure I can always try this vinegar/oxyclean mix if they get stinky.

But I wonder if anyone had thought about any chemical residue this process may leave behind?? I know I've used bleach and just rinsed, and rinsed and rinsed but does this stuff smell at all so you can tell for sure when its rinsed clean? Or do you just wait for no suds?

sjanea74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #105
OKKiddo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjanea74 View Post
I had the ammonia stink on my pf when I washed with Charlies. I could get rid of it for a few uses at a time then it'd come back. I had to switch to Tide to get rid of the stink. This time around (I'm getting NEW pf tomorrow from GMD) I'm going to try country save and see if that keeps the stink away. I figure I can always try this vinegar/oxyclean mix if they get stinky.

But I wonder if anyone had thought about any chemical residue this process may leave behind?? I know I've used bleach and just rinsed, and rinsed and rinsed but does this stuff smell at all so you can tell for sure when its rinsed clean? Or do you just wait for no suds?
The smell left behind is absolute clean freshness! I rinsed until no suds too though--but you know you can't resist the urge to stick your nose in deep and inhale to make sure. As far as any residue, usually with bleach I can feel it on my hands for a long time afterwards, with these as soon as there were no more bubbles I picked them up--to sniff of course--and there wasn't any kind of feeling on my fingers.
OKKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #106
sjanea74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKKiddo View Post
The smell left behind is absolute clean freshness! I rinsed until no suds too though--but you know you can't resist the urge to stick your nose in deep and inhale to make sure. As far as any residue, usually with bleach I can feel it on my hands for a long time afterwards, with these as soon as there were no more bubbles I picked them up--to sniff of course--and there wasn't any kind of feeling on my fingers.
Good to know! Makes me want to give it a try - but first I'll just hope the stinkies stay away this time. And yes, I can't wait to get my new dipes, wash 'em and stick my nose in them for a good, long sniff!!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #107
aclee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjanea74 View Post

I have prefolds now, and am battling stink issues too. I also use Charlies. Do you use a FL or TL? How much were you using? I think I"m using too much soap. I just washed a load, and added oxyclean. I'm on my 4th wash with extra rinse cycle, with no more added detergent and I still have bubbles in the rinse...so I'm going to keep rinsing, and then maybe try and soak in the Vinegar and oxyclean and do more rinses...I really like Charlie's soap so I'd rather not have to switch.
aclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #108
sjanea74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclee View Post
I have prefolds now, and am battling stink issues too. I also use Charlies. Do you use a FL or TL? How much were you using? I think I"m using too much soap. I just washed a load, and added oxyclean. I'm on my 4th wash with extra rinse cycle, with no more added detergent and I still have bubbles in the rinse...so I'm going to keep rinsing, and then maybe try and soak in the Vinegar and oxyclean and do more rinses...I really like Charlie's soap so I'd rather not have to switch.
I think our biggest problem was hard water. I have a top loader and was using a half scoop but when I would strip with a hot wash with no soap I would have bubbles. I did love Charlie's too - all of my laundry was very clean. Vinegar did nothing for me but oxyclean seemed to help as did adding a squirt of dawn in every prerinse. We are making sure we have salt in our water softener so I'll know that won't be the problem this time around. We're giving countrysave a try this time around though so we'll see...

Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #109
Mallory
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wasn't so sure about it, but I gave it a shot in my FLer. Granted, I'm straying from the "directions" since using a machine means adding water, but whatever. I have noticed lately that when Elliott pee's it stinks more then it should. And the last time I took dipes outta the dryer they didn't smell so clean. :/

So I'm trying this. I did a load with about half a scoop of OC right in the machine, and two cups of vinegar in the detergent slot. Hardly saw any bubbles, but did a couple extra rinses anyways at the end. When it was done, I checked them and they just didn't seem any different. So I got a little daring and poured like, an entire scoop of OC in the detergent slot this time, along -with- the vinegar (I have it a one of those squirt bottles the hospital gives you after you hadda baby, ya know, the one to squirt your crotch with, lol) so it made it start bubbling right away... And I cancelled the load after a couple minutes and poured some extra hot water in on the dipes (about a gallons worth) which was a little tricky with a FLer...

There were mega suds when I just went down there during a rinse cycle, so here's to hoping it'll be a success like some of you ladies are talkin' 'bout.

I think I'm going to pull them outta the wash after its done doing this heavy load (meaning the setting for "heavy" where its in there for a wash and then a bunch of rinses for like an hour and a half...) and then rinse them out by hand, which will probably take forever but not as long as the FLer would. Then I'll just run 'em through another long cycle with no soaps or anything and check for suds...
Also in the family, Dakota the German Shepherd and Boudreaux the Great Dane
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #110
aclee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
I wasn't so sure about it, but I gave it a shot in my FLer. Granted, I'm straying from the "directions" since using a machine means adding water, but whatever. I have noticed lately that when Elliott pee's it stinks more then it should. And the last time I took dipes outta the dryer they didn't smell so clean. :/

So I'm trying this. I did a load with about half a scoop of OC right in the machine, and two cups of vinegar in the detergent slot. Hardly saw any bubbles, but did a couple extra rinses anyways at the end. When it was done, I checked them and they just didn't seem any different. So I got a little daring and poured like, an entire scoop of OC in the detergent slot this time, along -with- the vinegar (I have it a one of those squirt bottles the hospital gives you after you hadda baby, ya know, the one to squirt your crotch with, lol) so it made it start bubbling right away... And I cancelled the load after a couple minutes and poured some extra hot water in on the dipes (about a gallons worth) which was a little tricky with a FLer...

There were mega suds when I just went down there during a rinse cycle, so here's to hoping it'll be a success like some of you ladies are talkin' 'bout.

I think I'm going to pull them outta the wash after its done doing this heavy load (meaning the setting for "heavy" where its in there for a wash and then a bunch of rinses for like an hour and a half...) and then rinse them out by hand, which will probably take forever but not as long as the FLer would. Then I'll just run 'em through another long cycle with no soaps or anything and check for suds...
How did it work for you?
aclee is offline   Reply With Quote