Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #11
Juliansmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

Thanks Mama, I'm gonna try that this weekend!

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
lovinminkymama
Registered Users

Ha I'm glad I got on here today. I was about ready to post a question about my diaper stink ammonia problem. I have gotten rid of most of my microfiber because of this issue i have had with not being able to get rid of the ammonia smell. I have a couple of Tail feathers with the microfiber sewn in and I love these diapers but the ammonia smell is terrible!! I am going to try this. You don't think it will hurt the actual diaper do you?
lovinminkymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
GodStillTalks
Registered Users
seller

What I found on google-

Vinegar and peroxide (what oxiclean mostly is) creates peracetic acid, which is an industry-level disinfectant.

I also read that it should be handled VERY carefully and is unstable because it explodes when 105-110 degrees Celsius (about 220 degrees F). That's pretty hot, but I don't know how hot the reaction itself is getting.

So- I would SERIOUSLY do this outside, and safety goggles might not be a bad idea, without kiddies around.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #14
OKKiddo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandjennie View Post
What I found on google-

Vinegar and peroxide (what oxiclean mostly is) creates peracetic acid, which is an industry-level disinfectant.

I also read that it should be handled VERY carefully and is unstable because it explodes when 105-110 degrees Celsius (about 220 degrees F). That's pretty hot, but I don't know how hot the reaction itself is getting.

So- I would SERIOUSLY do this outside, and safety goggles might not be a bad idea, without kiddies around.
Holy cow! Yeah, mine didn't get anywhere near 220 degrees F. I don't think it got too close to 120 degrees F. So, it got hot enough for me to put it down but not get burned. It certainly disinfected everything though, lol!

As far as putting a diaper in it with elastic--I'm not sure. Do you have an old, outgrown diaper that might have loose elastic? Or some elastic laying around that you could put in the mixture to see if it makes it snap? If you do go ahead and use your diaper, I'd make sure to not stretch the elastic until it had cooled. After having said that, I don't think that it will hurt it. But, I could be mistaken.

Maybe I need to take a chemistry class because it was fun doing this!
OKKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #15
Milo'smom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Good to know! I have had mild stinkies (very mild, like bury your nose in the insert and take a deep breath, gross I know), and I have been using a little vinegar and oxiclean in the wash and they have been coming out fresh and clean. So, if I ever get a major problem, I will do a straight mixture and soak it all!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #16
OKKiddo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo'smom View Post
Good to know! I have had mild stinkies (very mild, like bury your nose in the insert and take a deep breath, gross I know), and I have been using a little vinegar and oxiclean in the wash and they have been coming out fresh and clean. So, if I ever get a major problem, I will do a straight mixture and soak it all!
So I guess if you're doing it with a diaper that has elastic in the wash and you don't have problems then things *should* be ok. And I know what you mean about a deep in there kind of stinky.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #17
peytons mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well my stain only faded(still- better then it was) so I'll have to try this again, I had only used about half the scoop of oxyclen last night. But since the diaper didn't decintigrate I'll do few things today. I use the same style dish washing tub.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #18
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

I use to use this combo in my prewash then switched to oxyclean only.
Never knew
Old 03-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #19
OKKiddo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytons mommy View Post
Well my stain only faded(still- better then it was) so I'll have to try this again, I had only used about half the scoop of oxyclen last night. But since the diaper didn't decintigrate I'll do few things today. I use the same style dish washing tub.
Good luck with that!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
mybrowneyedgirls
Registered Users
seller

I'm trying this right now with some inserts that were no matter what I did to them. The reaction was pretty cool.
mybrowneyedgirls is offline   Reply With Quote