Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #31
Shawnah's Avatar
Shawnah
Registered User
sitesupporter
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 8,997
My Mood:
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKKiddo View Post

Hey, I didn't know that about chalk and vinegar! I know you can eat chalk for constipation--and I'm seriously considering grinding it up and sneaking it into my son's food the next time he is given a grape by a parent who didn't listen to my instructions (NO GRAPES/GRAPE JUICE/RAISINS or we have the runs for weeks!).
And I didn't know that about eating it It works great on tarnish my Grandma taught me that years ago and I haven't found anything better yet.

Advertisement

__________________
Shawnah
SAHM to 6
Shawnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #32
gkplander's Avatar
gkplander
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON area
Posts: 753
My Mood:
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

Hmm I wonder how this would work on my TFFs? They are our overnight diapers and they reek of ammonia in the am along with the fab doublers. I'm talking take a wiff and burn your nose ammonia smell. I've tried RLR...it toned down the smell but it's still there. I've tried vinegar soak for a few hours did nothing. So I did an overnight soak with vinegar and a little water last night until 1pm this afternoon. I dried the doublers in the dryer and they still smell poopy...not as bad. The diapers are still hanging on the rack. They smell good so far but I have a feeling the minute I put them in the dryer for a few minutes to soften them up the smell will be there . I'm going to try this if that doesn't work. Usually 1/4 cup of bleach with dawn in a hot wash takes away the microfiber stinkies. Does anyone know if the bleach will discolor my fab fitteds if I try that? Hmm what to do.
__________________
Kristy wife to Graeme since 10/8/05, mama to O 9/15/08 and R 10/8/10. #3
gkplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #33
eljube112's Avatar
eljube112
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 4,195
My Mood:
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

Ok, so I tried this "experiment" today with my diapers. I don't have a particular stink issue, but they were getting a bit grungy and needed a good whitening (which because we have no sun in the north, I needed an alternative).

I put about 2 cups of vinager and 2 scoops of oxyclean into a top load washer on it's highest water cycle and dumped in the diapers. I meant to add soap but got distracted. Anywho...long story short, I came back 5 minutes later to check and there were SO MANY SUDS!!! Like, rediculous. Anyone else have this reaction?!? I have rinsed this load 4 times and have finally gotten rid of the suds. I didn't realize that my dipes were that loaded...could it have been the vinager and oxyclean that cleaned them out so well?!

Also, on a side note, my inserts don't have any smell AT ALL and my BG suedecloth inners are BRIGHT WHITE. The inserts still have some dinginess but I'm doubting that will ever totally go away.
__________________
Elaine, SAHM to E (11/07), J (8/09), A (2/11), G (11/12)

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #34
OKKiddo's Avatar
OKKiddo
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Leavenworth, Ks
Posts: 684
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyBee View Post
And I didn't know that about eating it It works great on tarnish my Grandma taught me that years ago and I haven't found anything better yet.
Yep, my hubby found that out when he was in South Korea with the Army. A bad virus or something in the food and everyone had the runs. The posts ran out of anti-run meds (can't spell the other word ) and the post Dr's started handing out whole sticks of chalk with the instruction to chew them up well and drink a glass of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkplander View Post
Hmm I wonder how this would work on my TFFs? They are our overnight diapers and they reek of ammonia in the am along with the fab doublers. I'm talking take a wiff and burn your nose ammonia smell. I've tried RLR...it toned down the smell but it's still there. I've tried vinegar soak for a few hours did nothing. So I did an overnight soak with vinegar and a little water last night until 1pm this afternoon. I dried the doublers in the dryer and they still smell poopy...not as bad. The diapers are still hanging on the rack. They smell good so far but I have a feeling the minute I put them in the dryer for a few minutes to soften them up the smell will be there . I'm going to try this if that doesn't work. Usually 1/4 cup of bleach with dawn in a hot wash takes away the microfiber stinkies. Does anyone know if the bleach will discolor my fab fitteds if I try that? Hmm what to do.
I have put a small amount of bleach in with my colored diapers and as long as it's diluted BEFORE I put my diapers in, I've never had an issue. And I know what kind of ammonia smell you're talking about. When we were sick in February all of the diapers sat there until day 10 when I was well enough to handle it and even remember them. HORRID smell. I was almost sick again after washing, washing, washing. That's what brought on this little experiment actually.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eljube112 View Post
Ok, so I tried this "experiment" today with my diapers. I don't have a particular stink issue, but they were getting a bit grungy and needed a good whitening (which because we have no sun in the north, I needed an alternative).

I put about 2 cups of vinager and 2 scoops of oxyclean into a top load washer on it's highest water cycle and dumped in the diapers. I meant to add soap but got distracted. Anywho...long story short, I came back 5 minutes later to check and there were SO MANY SUDS!!! Like, rediculous. Anyone else have this reaction?!? I have rinsed this load 4 times and have finally gotten rid of the suds. I didn't realize that my dipes were that loaded...could it have been the vinager and oxyclean that cleaned them out so well?!

Also, on a side note, my inserts don't have any smell AT ALL and my BG suedecloth inners are BRIGHT WHITE. The inserts still have some dinginess but I'm doubting that will ever totally go away.
I'm glad you got really good results with the whiteness. And oxyclean and vinegar will clean out a lot of stuff. I had a lot of suds in my prefold that was stained. However, I gave up on going the safe route with a washer full of water. When I did this experiment it was my last ditch effort before I threw the inserts out. So, I used at least 2-3 cups of vinegar with a nearly full scoop of oxyclean straight on my diapers--no water at first. I even stirred the combination and got the smoke and lots of heat and that's when I added the teensy bit of water to try and dilute it down. It worked as the smoke stopped but the fizzing and bubbling kept working (and the heat was still there but not getting any hotter). The next day it was completely neutralized and after the first rinse I could see that things were looking up!
OKKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #35
lovinminkymama's Avatar
lovinminkymama
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 41
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

Ok so I did this with a couple diapers I have that have microfiber sewn in. I turned them wrong side out and let them sit all night. These are diapers I have washed and washed and they still stink. SOOO..... Now they are currently on their 5th run through in the washer because of all the suds.. I didn't add anything I just took them out of the plastic tub, squeezed them out and put them in the wash. They must have A LOT of build up. I have several other diapers that are the same way with the microfiber sewn in so I am going to do this same thing. I can't wait to see the results after they are all done and dry.
lovinminkymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #36
OKKiddo's Avatar
OKKiddo
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Leavenworth, Ks
Posts: 684
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinminkymama View Post
Ok so I did this with a couple diapers I have that have microfiber sewn in. I turned them wrong side out and let them sit all night. These are diapers I have washed and washed and they still stink. SOOO..... Now they are currently on their 5th run through in the washer because of all the suds.. I didn't add anything I just took them out of the plastic tub, squeezed them out and put them in the wash. They must have A LOT of build up. I have several other diapers that are the same way with the microfiber sewn in so I am going to do this same thing. I can't wait to see the results after they are all done and dry.
Sounds like there was a lot hidden inside the microfiber. Makes me sick when I think about what was hidden in mine. Good luck and let us know your results!
OKKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #37
gkplander's Avatar
gkplander
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON area
Posts: 753
My Mood:
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

Alright so my upteen hour vinegar soak didn't work. They still have a faint poopy smell coming out of the dryer. I must say its not as strong but def still there. So I'm off tomorrow to buy a bottle of vinegar and a tub of oxyclean
__________________
Kristy wife to Graeme since 10/8/05, mama to O 9/15/08 and R 10/8/10. #3
gkplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #38
AllyAsh's Avatar
AllyAsh
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Camp Casey
Posts: 677
My Mood:
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

i will have to remember this just in case we do get the stinkies in the future.

sounds like fun and a way to get DH on board lol
__________________
Wife to the Army, I mean Chris Mommy to Samara (3-8-08) - CDing, BWing, BFing, Tree Huggin, Ext. Rear Facing, Animal Lovin, Organic Eating, Alt Vaxing, AP'n Mama
My ISO/IHA
AllyAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #39
aclee's Avatar
aclee
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 936
My Mood:
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4kids View Post
I use a front loader & once a week I put a full scoop of oxi-clean & a cup of vinegar in the wash & they come out all clean, extra-fresh & extra bright.
I use this on my pocket dipes too & covers....and to be honest...I didn't even think I could be wrecking them. No elastic issues though.
How do you load the vinegar and oxyclean in? Do you put the oxyclean inside and the vinegar in the detergent bin? I have a front loader, and use Charlie's. I find that everything smells fine, till DS pees, and then I get the strong ammonia smell on the PF. I also have some issues with the Velcro on my proraps smelling like ammonia.

Thanks
aclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #40
OKKiddo's Avatar
OKKiddo
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Leavenworth, Ks
Posts: 684
Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyAsh View Post
i will have to remember this just in case we do get the stinkies in the future.

sounds like fun and a way to get DH on board lol
That's funny! I'm sure he'll like the reaction as well, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclee View Post
How do you load the vinegar and oxyclean in? Do you put the oxyclean inside and the vinegar in the detergent bin? I have a front loader, and use Charlie's. I find that everything smells fine, till DS pees, and then I get the strong ammonia smell on the PF. I also have some issues with the Velcro on my proraps smelling like ammonia.

Thanks
I don't put it together inside my washer until it's done soaking. I put it inside an inexpensive plastic tub from Wal-Mart (found in the dishes aisle). I put in the inserts and then pour the vinegar over it (enough to cover them) and then I take a nearly full scoop of oxyclean and pour that in--swishing it around to mix in well. That's when I really get the reaction, lots of foaming, bubbling, slight smoking, and heat. I was afraid of the heat (it got really hot) and put in a little bit of water--about 1/4 of a cup at the most. Then I walked away.
OKKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.