Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
momofapeanut
Registered Users
seller

Baby dropping off the growth curve after 12months?

I've not posted in here before, but I have a 13 month old. We just went to the one year appointment and she's falling off the curve for height and weight. She's tiny - size 3 shoes, 27in, 20lbs. The doctor gave me a hard time because she's so small. But she's petite. She's proportionate. We are smaller people. Both my husband and I are short, we're stalkier build, but not really big people or anything. My family has more petite women as well. I was a little annoyed at the allegations that I am forcing her to continue breastfeeding and not offering milk to her (not true, she hates milk, like yogurt and cheese though).

Am I doing something wrong or is this common or what? Anybody?

Advertisement

momofapeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby dropping off the growth curve after 12months?

My dd is also small. Smaller than yours. She didn't hit 20 pounds until almost 2 years, and now at almost 3 is maybe 25. She is in size 5 shoes now. For the first year she was always about 10-15% on the curves, then she went down to 3%, and then she fell below the charts. She's proportional, she meets her milestones, she's alert and active - she's just small! But our regular ped has not thought it was a problem and says she's just small. We have a new ped now (old ped left) and the new ped also does not see it as a problem. The ped we saw one time in between did have some concerns, but even he didn't have any problem with the breastfeeding.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would not worry, peds can be crazy. She eats, she plays, she's happy? Some babies are just small.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

If she's happy and healthy I wouldn't worry a bit about it. Different people are different sizes.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
RWMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that people come in all different sizes. I wouldn't worry. And shame on your doc for accusing you of forcing breastfeeding! That kind of thing drives me nuts! Don't they learn anything in medical school?!?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am surprised that her weight is dropping of the growth curb. My ds is now 15 month, but at his one year appointment he weight 20 pounds and that was slightly under the curve, but it is not anusual that children pick up in length and then pick up weight again. 20 pounds at 27 inches sounds good to me. I would not be worried.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
cassandrakfreaq
Registered Users

My Mood:

have you been charting her on a breastfed baby chart as opposed to a formula fed baby. they tend to grow differently

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html

I would give these to your ped or just charts yourself to allay some worry. I had one tiny bf baby and one monster bf baby hahaha its all in the range of normal unless you notice behavior changes and such.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
BrilliantGlass
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son started dropping down the growth chart around 9 months. At his 1 yr check (where he was actually 13 months) he had dropped further. Our ped said it was no biggie, that breastfed babies usually "lean out" after a year. She said, "He is obviously healthy and happy so it's fine."

I think your ped was totally out of line with the forcing bfing comment though.
BrilliantGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Conner did. He gained almost nothing from 12-18 months, but from 18 months- 2 years, he gained a ton!
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
momofapeanut
Registered Users
seller

Thank you so much ladies! I feel much better now. I think I'm going to look for a new Ped. I never get the one we WENT to this office to get. She's always busy and I get this guy that gives me heck for everything I do with my child. Plus he makes my little girl SCREAM when he comes in the room. She doesn't do that unless she really doesn't like someone. She's a very very happy healthy child. I didn't think anything of her being small, except that she's petite!

Thank you very much for the bf growth chart. According to that she's a perfect 50% for weight. When I said "dropped off the curve" I meant that since she was born her weight was always right around the 50% curve, height was always around 25% and it dropped to weight at 25% and height 15% - I think. So she dropped off "her curve" I guess.
momofapeanut is offline   Reply With Quote