View Poll Results: Is your OB/GYN
Male 24 45.28%
Female 29 54.72%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 AM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OB/GYN gender

I personally have had mostly women OB/GYNs, but I have had one man. He only examined me at my first appt, did the Group B Strep swab and those were the only 2 times he was down "there" He didn't make it to my delivery and I moved to another city 2 days before giving birth. I've only had a woman dr since then. I can understand the uncomfortableness, its not easy talking to a man when it comes to pregnancy and things in that region. They may have learned about it in school and stuff, but they haven't actually experienced any of it! My dr has gone through IVF a few times, high-risk pregnancies, etc. I trust her opinion not only as a medical professional but as a mother herself. As much as I liked my male dr, it was a different type of relationship!

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #12
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

All 3 of my kids were delivered by a midwife, she was female..
Old 05-19-2006, 04:09 AM   #13
aschrimp
Registered Users

I voted female, because the midwives who I saw throughout my entire pregnancy/delivery are female. And for standard, no complications OB care, I would *ALWAYS* go to a midwife, which means basically always a female provider. Mostly, though, not because they are women, but because they don't treat being pg as a disease for them to cure. LOL

BUT - prior to getting pg, I had a fantastic GYN who was male. I'd had several who I had hated, both male and female, and I was very comfortable with this dr. He actually did surgery to remove a hemmorhaging ovarian cyst a couple years ago, and I was immensely greatful that he was my gyn at the time. He listened to me, was able to remove the dead ovary before I was septic and risked my uterus, and was able to remove a canteloupe sized ovary laproscopically! WOW! BTW - he has a very dry sense of humor too. Must help them survive or something.

When I got pg, however, I was not very comfortable with the big university hospital setting for labor & delivery - very cookie cutter. They want you in your room, in your bed, etc. If you meet their special low risk criteria, they might *LET* you walk around *IN YOUR OWN ROOM*!!! I wanted an earthy squirmy new baby all wet on the chest no pain meds low lights push however I want to waterbirth kind of birth, so that really wasn't going to work for me. It was the hardest thing I'd done in a long time to switch to the hospital that offered midwives and waterbirths (I knew he wasn't accepting new patients anymore, my chances of getting back in with him are basically none).

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:33 AM   #14
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I always had a male ob/gyn and loved them. I avoided women like the plaque, thinking they were rough and unsensitive. The group I am with now (and have been for 5 years) are awesome.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #15
smugsmilz
Registered Users

MW for all my kids and for this next one.

I would choose a female OB though-if I had to. I like the idea that this person has or has had the ability to experience what I will be experiencing in childbirth.

As much as they might try and empathize, I cant see a man doing that.
smugsmilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

I have been to both. Currently I like the lady I saw when I had Hailey she was a lot gentler and listened to my needs more the the guy who say me through my first childs birth.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #17
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

double post.

Last edited by bobandjess99; 05-19-2006 at 09:00 PM.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #18
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Why is there never a choice for me? LOL

I have never gone to a OB/GYN or midwife for any type of internal exam. I do not believe they are necesary.

I suppose you could say female, because i do all my own personal health care...or possibly male, since DH also has "down there" privileges!!

I did see a midwife for a couple visits while pregnant with my dd, she was female. Just to talk/consult though, and to get a heartbeat when i thought i might be miscarrying.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:08 AM   #19
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

With my first I thought I wanted a female so I would feel more comfortable. She was ok but not really compassionate or caring.

We moved to a new town that only had a male dr. and he turned out to be my all time favorite!! Such a sweetie, caring and sympathetic and just a doll. I thought I would be self-conscience but he made it really easy for me.

Then with my last we moved again and I went to a female. She also was nice but not compasionate or really caring.

I feel like the women dr.s I've had were like..."Yeah Yeah, I've been there done that so tough it up honey"

With the males dr.s I've had they are really sincere and gentle.

With our next it will be a male and he is really sweet. My sis had a miscarriage last summer and he called all the timeover those days to make sure she was ok and he was really soft and caring with her.

Last edited by hollyhobby30; 05-20-2006 at 12:09 AM.
hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #20
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The first one I ever went to was at the college health clinic because it was a woman. Then when I got pg with my first dd I looked specifically for a woman in the phone book & she was HORRIBLE. Luckily she was part of a joint practice & the guy was AWESOME & he delivered #1. With #2 I wasnt going to go back there because I didnt want to take the change of having to deal with "dr mary" but when I called they said they were separate single OB practice now, so I went back to the guy Then we moved up where we are now & the only choice in our rural area is family Drs who can also deliver or the ONE OB in the county (a guy). I went to the guy & didnt like his bedside manner, I felt he treated me like I didnt know what he was talking about even though I had worked in OB offices that spring & had a college degree. So I m/c'd & decided to go to a family Dr with the next pg....had complications & she said, either go back to this OB or you have to drive 45min to the next nearest one! So I went back, we had a "chat" and its been great ever since. Very willing to listen to suggestions after my 3rd m/c & then carried the 4th pg to term
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote