Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #11
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: clogged duct for 2.5 days now......

thanks so much heather i never had this problem with the other two...new experience each time i guess lol.

Advertisement

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancifulFanny View Post
I had to hot pack every day, even when I didn't have clogs, simply to try to prevent them. Showering helped, too. Call your doctor or your local LLL. LLL could get you a pump, I'm sure!

I had horrible issues with mastitis - 6 bouts in the 9 months of nursing before I finally called it quits because I was sick of being sick...and I still ended up with a tumor in my right breast that had to be surgically removed (we didn't know until it was out whether it was cancerous or not and it ended up being a result of clogged ducts).
'

oh man!!!!! that is horrible i had no idea that could happen.....oh i want this thing out of my boob now

where do i find the # for LLL??? link please?? (my address bar is MIA right now )

Old 12-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #13
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've also read that if you do start to feel like you have mastitis to drink 1/8 cup of cider vinegar a couple times a day. Farmers use this with their cows to fight mastitis and is supposedly works. (I haven't tried it.) I've also heard that putting the baby's chin where the clog is will help a lot. I had mastitis once and it was no fun. I hope you can get the clog out!
1-800-LALECHE (US), or (847) 519-7730. The second number provides access to an automated system for finding LLL Leaders in the US by entering a local zip code.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #14
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Hot showers help relieve it. Hot compresses. Nurse the baby as often as he will. Pump. A little advil is okay for the pain. Massage the area when the baby nurses and when you take a shower. Kind of push the lump towards your nipple to help work it out. Hang in there and toss the underwire bra. You should start to see some relief in 24hrs if you don't call the doc.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah, I shoudl have added no bra what so ever till its healed. the pressure alone will make it worse.

Another weird trick is for me to jump up and down or wiggle my breasts. Its kind of like trying to get water out of your ear...
for me the force sometimes gets it to "knock" down.
also don't sleep on your (.)(.) !!!

on a note of the abcess or cyst. this usually happens when mothers are told NOT to nurse when they have mastitis. It is THE WORST medical advice I have ever heard (and yes its been told to me) I said are you crazy. I have backed up milk in there and it needs to come out!
NOT nursing will make a mass of milk turn to rock or puss, or both resulting in a absecc that will either need to be drained or cut out.

Not fun. why i say when you get mastitis nurse that baby like crazy, pump on the other side, and take antiobiotics or herbs till its gone. Its nasty.
BUT CAN be avoided.

BTW I have nursed for about 9 years with 4 kids now and only got mastitis 3 times. I does not have to happen as long as you clear up your plugged ducts. Women who have alot of milk are more prone.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #16
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes the bra found it's way into the trash can quickly lol. dh is going to go to walmart to get the garlic and red cabbage first thing when he gets off work (he works 5p to 5a) he went to the local store before work, but they didn't have either :sigh: i've taken a hot shower, he's comfort nursing right now.

i've had that pipe cleaner feeling 3 times today...YOWZA!!!!! but it still seems clogged....what is that about?????

Old 12-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #17
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
yeah, I shoudl have added no bra what so ever till its healed. the pressure alone will make it worse.

Another weird trick is for me to jump up and down or wiggle my breasts. Its kind of like trying to get water out of your ear...
for me the force sometimes gets it to "knock" down.
also don't sleep on your (.)(.) !!!

on a note of the abcess or cyst. this usually happens when mothers are told NOT to nurse when they have mastitis. It is THE WORST medical advice I have ever heard (and yes its been told to me) I said are you crazy. I have backed up milk in there and it needs to come out!
NOT nursing will make a mass of milk turn to rock or puss, or both resulting in a absecc that will either need to be drained or cut out.

Not fun. why i say when you get mastitis nurse that baby like crazy, pump on the other side, and take antiobiotics or herbs till its gone. Its nasty.
BUT CAN be avoided.

BTW I have nursed for about 9 years with 4 kids now and only got mastitis 3 times. I does not have to happen as long as you clear up your plugged ducts. Women who have alot of milk are more prone.

I never stopped nursing through any of the mastitis incidents. I was never told to stop nursing. I lay in bed with him or DH would bring him to me. The cyst/tumor didn't show until January of this year - I stopped nursing last July, so it took 7 months. I did produce a TON of milk and can still produce but on that side it's weird now. This was an odd and rare occurence from what my dr at the breast care center told me.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #18
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myajdw View Post
yes the bra found it's way into the trash can quickly lol. dh is going to go to walmart to get the garlic and red cabbage first thing when he gets off work (he works 5p to 5a) he went to the local store before work, but they didn't have either :sigh: i've taken a hot shower, he's comfort nursing right now.

i've had that pipe cleaner feeling 3 times today...YOWZA!!!!! but it still seems clogged....what is that about?????
I remember it took some time for the clogged feeling to totally go away. Its good your feeling the pipe cleaner thing though.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #19
kingdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, I was just dealing with this Saturday and Sunday and it sucked!!! I had a huge hard mass from my areola back to my armpit. It hurt so bad and I cried during the night because It killed no matter how I laid and I couldn't sleep. The next day I took 2 ibuprofen and let those work for a bit to take the pressure off, put a hot, wet compress on the side of my breast for a little while and made sure DS was good and hungry and latched him on. I was so relieved when he let go and the rock was gone. I just kept telling my DS what a good baby he was, LOL. I understand the concept of nursing frequently, but the last last two times I've had this problem, I have only been able to fix it with a very hungry baby. The snacking just wasn't doing it for me.
I hope you feel better soon!

JoJee Creations Custom pencil portraits and knitted goods
kingdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #20
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a clogged duct too. I really don't want to get sick either. Thanks for posting this, I'm going to try all of the suggestions too.