Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is it normal for child to get a cold after antibiotics for strep?

Is it normal for a child to get a cold after taking antibiotics for strep? DD took antibiotics for strep for the past week and a half. Yesterday she started in with a bad cough. Does she have the cough/cold cause her immune system is messed up from the antibiotics?
I have given her honey and put vicks on her chest. She doesn't have a fever, is eating well, acting active as normal, no runny nose(yet) and still drinking fluids.

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
jujusmommy
Registered Users
Formerly: catherine**ne

My Mood:
Re: Is it normal for child to get a cold after antibiotics for strep?

I am not sure if the antibiotices have anything to do with it. From what our Peds tell us, Juliana will pick up a cold and just as she is getting over it, she will pick up a different but similar cold. This cycle can continue for months. I would think that she ad Strep, and then picked up a cold. The antibiotics are not going to help the common cold, nor prevent it. Hopefully she will feel better soon!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujusmommy View Post
I am not sure if the antibiotices have anything to do with it. From what our Peds tell us, Juliana will pick up a cold and just as she is getting over it, she will pick up a different but similar cold. This cycle can continue for months. I would think that she ad Strep, and then picked up a cold. The antibiotics are not going to help the common cold, nor prevent it. Hopefully she will feel better soon!

I was thinking the same thing. She probably picked up another cold. I was reading in a magazine the other day - kids before they are 5 have an average of 8-12 colds a year. One a month??? I feel like that is what we have been doing lately.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is possible. Antibiotics kill off all bacteria, even the good, which helps the immune system.

I would give her a probiotic to counter the effects, and help her immune system.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS just got off med's for tonsillitis on Sunday and today we found out he has pneumonia =( So I'd say anythings possible!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
It is possible. Antibiotics kill off all bacteria, even the good, which helps the immune system.

I would give her a probiotic to counter the effects, and help her immune system.

And some Vit C
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote