Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
allergies to pharma. drugs

So along with Daniel's other numberous allergies we are starting to see that he is allergic to pharma drugs that he gets from the doc for colds and such.

Does anyone else have this issue and what do you do as an alternative?
I've YET to find an allergist that can test for such allergies.

Advertisement

eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Leslieann
Registered Users
seller

Re: allergies to pharma. drugs

Do you mean prescription drugs? If so you have to ask the doc for something else.
My son is allergic to red dye and has to have alternative meds for almost everything since most meds for kids have the red dye in them. For instance he cannot take the typical pink amoxicillin he has to have dye free which in that case means tablets.
In your son's situation however they may need to find antibiotics and other meds to which he does not react. You may try a homeopathic approach . There are many good naturopathic doc if you are in a city area in the US.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope he is already dye free in all his meds.
This was a reaction to a compound liquid med that he got for broncitis and then another med for pink eye. Seperate times.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Leslieann
Registered Users
seller

what kind of reaction did he have?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oral med.-he woke up each night screaming because his tummy hurt and then proceded to throw up 1-2 times.

eye drops-30min after would throw up 4 times no joke!

We had a PILE of nasty laundry to do within 2hrs.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

is it all the meds, or just some? my ds1 can't have amox, he is allergic and breaks out in bumps.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i don't know we have tried to use most herbs/eo on him, but i didn't find a mix until after the fact.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:

There are a couple of alternatives here:

--he could be allergic to the medication itself. For example, penicillin allergies aren't uncommon (I was allergic as a child). Penicillin is one that an allergist *can* test for, which they did for me when I turned up allergic to a different type of antibiotic.
--he's allergic to something in the carrier of the medication. For example, red dyes, or corn. A friend whose child is allergic to corn has to get all his meds from a special compounding pharmacy
--he's stressed out by receiving meds. For example, eye drops shouldn't cause vomiting, but might cause a kid to get really upset, which would cause vomiting. Or things that don't taste good cause him to gag (I have this issue).
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadiera View Post
There are a couple of alternatives here:

--he could be allergic to the medication itself. For example, penicillin allergies aren't uncommon (I was allergic as a child). Penicillin is one that an allergist *can* test for, which they did for me when I turned up allergic to a different type of antibiotic.
--he's allergic to something in the carrier of the medication. For example, red dyes, or corn. A friend whose child is allergic to corn has to get all his meds from a special compounding pharmacy
--he's stressed out by receiving meds. For example, eye drops shouldn't cause vomiting, but might cause a kid to get really upset, which would cause vomiting. Or things that don't taste good cause him to gag (I have this issue).

i would say yes do this, but i was reading that the ingredients in eye drops pass through into breastmilk, so i would guess that your body does process it somehow.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
jks06457
Registered Users

My Mood:

um, sulfa, phenergan, benedryl and that is what i remember at 11:30pm. also REALLY bad with gen. aneth.

BEWARE OF BINDING AGENTS!!!!!!!!! if he has Celiac (saw your other post) then be SUPER aware of them.