Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What's your favorite Gluten Free Recipe?

I have been GF for a week now. I can already see a difference in the issues I was having. I tried Bob's Red Mill pancake mix and I hated it . I'm going to try to tweak it. My small town doesn't have much to offer that's GF, but I'm going to Kroger this weekend to stock up for the month. I want to know your favorite GF recipes so I can add them to my collection! OR your favorite GF products out there. I have bought brown rice, white rice, and soy flour. I also have Bob's pancake mix as I mentioned it before. I love Kame's Rice Crackers with cheese or peanut butter. I am just looking for some other snacks. My dd is allergic to milk & eggs, so if I could avoid those, that's great, too. If not, I can always make her something different! TIA!

Advertisement

Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Missing our tiny love bugs 6/11, 4w4d and 10/11, 9w1d
amberpayne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
mamajf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's your favorite Gluten Free Recipe?

Super target sells gluten free waffles and I really like those the best and price too. I can't remember the brand, but they are near the veg burgers and other health foods.

I haven't tried any boxed stuff yet so im curious to see what others say.

I also eat a lot of corn tortillas as my bread and lots of beans, lunch meat, veggies and fruit.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When we were GF, I just used regular recipes and subsituted a combo of brown rice flour and other gf flours. Try looking up gluten free goddess ( I think her blog is called Karina's Kitchen). She had some good ones!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajf View Post
Super target sells gluten free waffles and I really like those the best and price too. I can't remember the brand, but they are near the veg burgers and other health foods.

I haven't tried any boxed stuff yet so im curious to see what others say.

I also eat a lot of corn tortillas as my bread and lots of beans, lunch meat, veggies and fruit.
The nearest Super Target is about 2 hours away . I bet Kroger would have those, though. I need to find corn tortillas, too.

BTW, I found Jerusalem Artichoke lasagna noodles at Ingles and they taste just like regular lasagna noodles! I was really impressed
Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Missing our tiny love bugs 6/11, 4w4d and 10/11, 9w1d
amberpayne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like pamela brand mixes. our walmart carries them. I make waffles and freeze them. I know it's eggs but I have a great angle food cake recipe that uses potato starch as the flour. Dinner ideas, taco soup, meat loaf, lots of soups. Taco salad (corn chips), for snacks, carrots, yogurt, chips and salsa. I don't actually eat gluten free my self but I cook for my 2 sil's who do.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
tjcjlc99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

for a snack, rice krispie treats but with rice chex instead of rice krispies. i make these a lot.
other than that, i just try to adapt recipes.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

Ds2 can't handle gluten so I'm just starting with GF cooking. I've made a few GF recipes--nothing stellar, but no disasters. I have been really inspired by this blog: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ but there are lots of GF recipe blogs out there. I love the ones where people post comments about their own experiences with the recipes. We used her Big Banana Muffins recipe as ds's b-day "cupcakes" and even wheat-eaters thought they were decent.

BTW, we have a large Asian market here, and I have been able to get tapioca starch, white rice flour, sorghum flour, millet flour, and rice noodles for MUCH cheaper than the HFS. Everything is imported, so it doesn't have the Celiac Foundation seal, but usually ingredients are listed clearly.

I'll be watching this thread for more recipe ideas!
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 AM   #8
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have LOTS of favorite GF recipes. I wouldn't have a clue where to start!
I do not buy pre-packaged waffles or pancake mixes though - bleh.

I'm not a big Bob's Red Mill fan either. I've been spoiled here in Germany, and I make most stuff myself... except for a few items that are really super good here.

For waffles/pancakes, my mom has a recipe that is the best ever. It has to cool in the fridge for a while after mixing so it gets thicker, but it works great!

Quote:
Waffle House type Waffles (adapted by Linda)
1 1/2 cups GF flour mix
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsps Guar or Xanthan Gum
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 Tbls.granulated sugar
2 Tbls butter, softened
2 Tbls shortening
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp vanilla

Soften butter and cream with the shortening and sugar. In a seperate bowl mix all dry ingredients together. Add liquids slowly to the sugar mixture. When completely mixed, slowly add dry ingredients. When batter is mixed, you may use or the orginal recipe said store overnight in the fridge and set out to warm up a little before using. I added chopped pecans to my waffles as they were cooking. (I add frozen blueberries, but they stuck to the griddle. YIELD 8 waffles.

There are a lot of great gluten free blogs out there, Book of Yum, Gluten Free Goodness, Gluten Free Food Reviews, Gluten Free Mom, Gluten Free Mommy, Gluten Free Gobsmacked, Ginger Lemon Girl ... I have others in my favorites but I haven't looked at them in a long while.

I also get emails from A Year of Crockpotting, but I haven't done any of those in a long while since I have a HUGE crockpot.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:15 AM   #9
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah, for cereal, Chex is coming out with a lot more gluten free cereals this month --- and Envirokidz is awesome.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot View Post
Oh yeah, for cereal, Chex is coming out with a lot more gluten free cereals this month --- and Envirokidz is awesome.
I hadn't heard this! Great news! Must be Corn Chex? Anything else?
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote