Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
carbandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
fave meal for company?

What you favorite dish to serve when you have people over? I am trying to be more creative then pizza!

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
plasmatronix
Registered Users

Re: fave meal for company?

I think lasagna is good because you can prep it all ahead of time and almost everyone loves lasagna!
plasmatronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1.Enchiladas is always a Hit for our company, We use a White Sauce instead of a Red one, (I can pm ya the recipe if you want)

2.Lasagna is another hit for the same reason as plasmatronix You can prep it all the day before and bake just before Company arrives.

3.CROCK POT chilli or crockpot beef stew

4.we also do alot of Carne asada with Beans Rice and home made Tortillas
Old 03-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
lotemp
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always do almond orange chicken with rice and salad. I've gotten a ton of compliments on it so just keep doing it. Don't come to my house more than once though.

lotemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
HLCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: diapermamaagain
seller

My Mood:

Tacos....with a variety of "options" hard shell, burrito shell, salad, quesadilla maker, ect. And plenty of toppings (beans, olives, lettuce, tomato, onions, chicken and beef, cheese, salsa, ect...)

Another favorite of DH is to just cook out. Takes the cooking off of me and gives him time outside with "the guys". We do pork steaks (very cheap!) or burgers. Side dishes are usually simple~potato salad, corn, some kind of casserole or just chips.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

We usually either do Lasagna, Pizza, burritos, grilled chicken or chili. I try to make a pie for desert or lately we have been having ice cream with thickened blackberries (they need out of my freezer..i bought them thinking the kidos would eat them frozen like they do blueberries but they don't)...
Old 03-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
comom
Registered Users
seller
seller

A pork roast in the crock pot is a go-to of mine. Serve with veggies/salad, and a starch (potato, wild rice, or couscous).
comom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
windsong81
Registered Users

We like to grill pizza.
Pizza from the Grill
Pizza Dough
Makes enough for 4-12" pizzas
Combine:
1 C warm water
1T. sugar
1 pkg active dry yeast
Mix:
2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
1 C cake flour
1 T kosher salt
Add:
2 T. olive oil
Combine water, sugar and yeast. Proof until foamy, about 5 minutes. Mix flours and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add oil to yeast mixture once it has proofed, then pour into flour mixture. Knead on low speed 10 minutes (if kneading by hand, knead same amount of time).
Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, dry place until doubled, about 2 hours.
Punch dough down and divide into four balls, pinching the bottoms closed. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place another hour.
Roll the dough on a dry work surface dusted with flour. Shape it into a 10-12" circle or rectange. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
1. Preheat the grill with one side set to medium-high, the other side to low. To transfer the dough to the grill, use your fingertips to lift it by the edges and drape directly on the hottest part of the grill. Close the lid and cook 2-3 minutes (in my experience, it takes a little longer). The crust will bubble and grill marks will appear underneath.
2. Use tongs to flip crust over and move to the cool side of the grill. Brush with olive oil—it adds flavor and contributes to the crispy texture.
3. Add toppings. Keep quantities light so they cook quickly. Return pizza to the hot side of the grill for 4-5 minutes.
4. Pizza is done when cheese is melted. Remove from grill using a pizza peel or the back of a baking sheet.
Oven-Roasted Tomato Sauce
(defeats the purpose of grilling the pizza so as to not heat the house, but is REALLY good, and can be made in advance)
Combine
8 C (4 lbs) Roma tomatoes, quartered
1 C yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, whole (I used jarred minced)
2 t. kosher salt
1 t. red pepper flakes
1 t. sugar
Toss with:
1/2 C Olive oil
Stir in:
1/2 C fresh basil, chiffonade (for those of you, like me, who had no idea what chiffonade is (I figured it was either a method of preparing the basil, or a different herb), it’s a relatively time-consuming method of cutting the basil into strips. It involves stacking the leaves, then rolling them, then slicing them into thin strips. I just coarsely chopped it.)
Preheat oven to 450. Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic cloves, salt, pepper and sugar in a large casserole dish. Toss with olive oil and roast 35-40 minutes until tomatoes have softened. Remove from oven and mash with a potato masher, keeping tomatoes a bit chunks (I pulsed in the blender a couple times).
Stir in basil.
(this makes a lot more than you’ll need for the four pizzas. You can refrigerate the leftovers and serve with pasta. I imagine you could probable freeze it, too, though it probably wouldn’t be as good.
Topping Grilled Pizza
You can use about anything you like on this pizza, but keep in mind this is a thin crust pizza that will be cooked from the bottom, so keeping toppings light is a good idea.
Here are some suggestions
Pepperoni Pizza:
brush dough with olive oil, then top with fresh mozzarella, sliced pepperoni and some Oven-Roasted Tomato Sauce. Sprinkle with thinly sliced fresh spinach, grated Parmesan cheese, coarse sea salt and red pepper flakes.
Mediterranean Pizza:
Brush dough with olive oil, then top with cubed fontina, slices of salami, quartered marinated artichoke hearts, and slivered kalamata olives. Sprinkle with diced fresh tomatoes and grated Parmesan Cheese. Add torn fresh basil leaves when the pizza is off the grill.
Sausage Pizza:
Brush dough with olive oil, then top with grated white cheddar, cooked and sliced link Italian sausage, and some Oven-Roasted Tomato Sauce. Sprinkle with thinly sliced red onion, grated Parmesan cheese, coarse see salt, and crushed red pepper flakes. Add torn fresh basil before serving.

Here's a menu that's really good and fairly easy.

Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce
c. milk
. c. dry bread crumbs
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
c. chicken broth
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 (4 oz) jar diced pimiento, drained
c. grated parmesan cheese
c. minced fresh basil
1/8 t. pepper
1 t. cornstarch

Preheat oven to 350. Place milk and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in milk, then coat with breadcrumbs. In skillet over medium heat, brown chicken on both sides in butter and olive oil. Remove and place in preheated oven to keep warm.

Add broth to skillet. Bring to boil over medium heat and stir to loosen browned bits from pan bottom. Stir in whipping cream and pimiento, boil and stir for one minute. Reduce heat. Stir in parmesan, basil, and pepper and cook until heated through. Mix cornstarch with extra chicken broth and stir into skillet if needed to thicken sauce. Pour over chicken.

Rapid Rise Dough for Breadsticks
2 c. flour, divided
2 pkg. yeast
c. sugar
1 t. salt
c. margarine or butter, softened
1 c. warm water
2 eggs at room temperature
1 c. flour
2 c. flour
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and stir well. Cut in margarine or butter until it looks like coarse cornmeal. Add warm water and beat with electric mixer at medium speed for 2 min. Add eggs and 1 more cup of flour and beat until thick. Stir in remaining flour c. at a time until the dough all comes together. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Cover and let rise for 20 min.
2. Punch down dough and form into breadsticks. Cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Let dough come to room temperature before baking in a 375 degree oven.
3. For breadsticks, roll in mixture of olive oil and Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and grated parmesan cheese.

Oven-roasted vegetables
c. olive oil
2 T. chopped garlic
salt and pepper to taste
2 T. fresh rosemary and thyme, chopped
1 sweet onion, cut into wedges
1 lb. baby carrots
1 lg. sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
1 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
1 zucchini, cut into chunks
1 yellow squash, cut into chunks

Whisk together olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and herbs. Toss with prepared vegetables. (At this point, veggies can be refrigerated until ready to use in a Ziploc bag).

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange vegetables in a single layer on baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, stir and roast 10 min. longer until brown and crusty. For best brown crust on veggies, broil them the last 5 min. of cooking time. Watch closely so they don’t burn.

Creamy Cappuccino Mousse
Susan Moore Vastine
1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
c. cold milk
1 c. strong brewed coffee at room temperature
1 3.4 oz. pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix
t. cinnamon
1 carton (8-oz) frozen whipped topping, divided
additional cinnamon

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in milk until blended. Gradually beat in coffee, and then add pudding mix and cinnamon. Whisk for two minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in 2 cups whipped topping. Spoon into six dessert dishes. Refrigerate until set. Garnish with remaining whipped topping and cinnamon.
windsong81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
dublinmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotemp View Post
I always do almond orange chicken with rice and salad. I've gotten a ton of compliments on it so just keep doing it. Don't come to my house more than once though.
This sounds so good...would you share the recipe?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
lotemp
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinmom View Post
This sounds so good...would you share the recipe?
Here's my Orange Almond Chicken Breast recipe (don't tell my guests how easy it is):

1c fine dry bread crumbs
1/4c finely chopped almonds
1t salt
1/8t pepper
2T chopped fresh parsley
1/4c frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1/4c melted margarine
6 chicken breasts halves

Combine bread crumbs, almonds, salt, pepper, and parsley. Mix well. Combine orange juice concentrate and margarine. Dip chicken into orange mixture and then crumb mix. Place in shallow baking dish and bake at 350 for 60 min.

lotemp is offline   Reply With Quote