Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Please read...low tone and torticolis....

When my son was born (via vbac) he had a single umbilical artery, extra digits, sacral dimple (ultrasound came back normal), and they said he was floppy....
we went to occupational therapy for tucked thumbs and pt for the torticolis. The therapist said he has low tone. She said this but seems to think he is doing great. I was so worried that he wasn't going to turn out okay.
Now at 8 months, he sits, pulls himself up to stand, crawls (still alot on his belly kind of crawl but also regular crawling sometimes) plays with toys, interacts with anyoone who talks to him, calls for me, and is just wonderfully delightful.
HERE is my question:
He goes to pt every two weeks now for the torticolis but she also does other stuff with him. He is VERY flexible. My daughter is and so am I. I constanly had injuries playing sports because everything would pop out or twist. If he seems on task with everything else, could this really mean he has some other serious mental or developmental issue? I was just looking up "low tone" on the internet and started bawling my eyes out! I am so worried now. I thought since he is doing all of these milestones we were out of the woods.
Do I really need to worry?
Could this be from the VBAC?
Could low-tone be genetic? (My doc always called me loose-jointed)
I had to have an xray and a lung scan when I was 6 weeks pregnant with him, could this have caused anything?
Isn't it unlikely that he would be developmentally delayed if at this point he is on-task?

Please give me some comfort, advice, support...I have worried about my sweet boy since he was born. I just started to relax enough to really enjoy him. Watching him reach these milestones has put me at ease. Now reading this stuff, I am freaking out. Am I over-reacting? When I was reading all that stuff about low tone, these poor kids were like a year old and not sitting up. My son can do all of these things, how does this make sense?

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Please read...low tone and torticolis....

My dd had low muscle tone as an infant, she didn't sit up until 8-10 months but she did stand at 12 months so I think if you help them and depend son the severity you can build muscles and get them stronger. My dd is able to walk and run now , she just started walking at around 3 years old but now at 4 she runs and is fun to chase her.
try not to worry too much mama, I don't think any of the things done while pg affected him, I am not a dr but I want to say he will be however he was created regardless, be proud of all his milestone, and also remember boys do things at a later time than girls do sometimes, it all depends on the child, as long as the pt says he's doing well, thats what counts.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
mama22boys
Registered Users

My DS had tort and is low tone. We discovered it when he was about 3 months old. He went through physical therapy. His is now 15 months old. He was slower to do a lot of things like sitting up and crawling. He still doesn't walk but he cruises on the furniture. My older son, who had no issues, didn't even walk until 16 months so we are a family of later walkers anyway. My DS is also pretty flexible and his PT said he will probably always be that way. He was also a month early which also accounts for some of his delays. There can be very severe forms of low-tone but mild ones as well. Some kiddos can never suck from a bottle and are often tube-fed. But it sounds to me like your son is on the less severe side of things. I think it is definitely possible that it could be genetic and could be what happened in your son's case. I worried so much about my DS and I still do from time to time but I really think he's going to be ok, and I think yours will too. I think we might be facing some speech issues in the future with my DS, which is common with low-tone kids but I really think that's the extent of it. Just enjoy him!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
ktmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if you will ever stop worrying about him, at least I haven't with my youngest. She had tort and started getting PT at 2 months. Turns out she had a mass in her neck. Once it was removed (at four months), she started improving. She was late with most of her milestones, but still in the average range. I kept wondering if there was more going on with her and if she would have difficulties in other areas. I felt just like you, not able to enjoy her. It was hard. I will say that DD was dismissed from PT around 22 months and is doing great. It was hard to dismiss her, I didn't want to let them go. It really is a wait and see kinda thing. But the good thing is, if you have other concerns down the road, you are already getting services and they will work with you closely as he develops. Keep being a great mama and give him lots of love.
Katie - DD#1 - 5/05 and DD#2 - 4/07
Search and Win with swagbucks
See my Shopping Reviews
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

It seems to me with all the support you give him and the progress he's made developmentally, he will likely be very normal as he ages!!! Just keep working with him!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the support. I called the therapist and she said everyone is on the spectrum regarding tone. He is just on the lower end, just like I am. I feel alot better. He is perfect no matter what! He is the sweetest boy.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
clothmomof3
Registered Users
seller

I know how scary things can be, my YDD has been in therapy since she was 6 m old for the same to things and she has sesory issues we are in therapy for as well. I would saw he is just low tone, he seems to be developmentaly on track..... just keep an eye on him watch for the little things that noone else would notice. We have delt with a huge mess of stuff and still have no "official" diagnosis, other than SPD
So keep your chin up stay off the internet and keep an open dialog with you therapists your and you ped, write down any concerns you have so you remember to ask!
Good Luck, you LO is in my prayers!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
rle376@hotmail.com
Registered Users
seller

My son Josiah is 4 and has low muscle tone. He recieves OT and PT services. He is able to run, play, climb slides, etc. He has above average intelligence. He does struggle in some areas like riding a bike, etc. It did affect his speech a bit, he does have some oral weaknesses and he has been difficult to potty train.
He is however a healthy, happy little boy. He is unaware that there is anything different as to how his little body functions. I was low tone as well as a kid. For us at least it is genetic. There is nothing that could have been done to prevent it. The unknown is so difficult. I have learned to avoid researching the internet. Time will show what is reality for our kiddos. And most likely it is not nearly as bad as we can imagine.
rle376@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Us4&AngelCorey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what is a sacral dimple

due January 26
Us4&AngelCorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
Danielle0407
Registered Users

My DS has low tone as well, we don't know why, he has had an MRI done and that looked ok. He still isn't walking and is 19 months now. he has only been crawling for the last 6 months, and couldn't sit up on his own until his first birthday.