Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
AttachedMama
Registered Users
seller

DS's Asst. Principal said he's going to do drugs!!

DS's best friend "S" got into trouble and was sent to talk with the AP. The AP told him that he needs to stop hanging out with his friends because they're going to do drugs and he doesn't need to be around that.

"S" only has 3 friends, 2 (my DS and another boy) that are in his class that he actually gets to talk to during school hours. DS came home pretty upset today and I don't blame him. He's totally insulted! I'm so angry I just don't know what to do.

I've explained to DS before that the way he dresses :

..sometimes gives people the wrong idea about him, but I'm not going to make him dress a certain way. He's copying a lot of the bands he likes, most of which happen to be Christian punk bands.

I just can't believe the AP thought it was appropriate to tell a student that his friends ARE going to do drugs. Not that they are now, but that they will. I think that's a horrible thing to label 10 and 11year old boys with!

Advertisement

AttachedMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Re: DS's Asst. Principal said he's going to do drugs!!

I hope your son makes the Godly choice.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
rds989
Registered Users
seller

Totally inappropriate behavior on the part of the principal. I can understand his general idea - that he's concerned about the friends your ds has, but to predict that those kids WILL do drugs is unacceptable. Can you complain to the school board or something?

I hope your son is able to see things clearly enough to make his own decisions - and that you're able to give him good counsel.

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11507.0
rds989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Carrie
Registered Users

School administrators have the worst judgement sometimes. An AP around here told a student he needed Jesus in his life...based on clothing that indicated the student was of a different religion. I wouldn't complain to the higher ups--they will likely side with their person. I would talk to the AP in person and ask him why he thinks that and explain that you think it was inappropriate.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was put on the "drug" list in high school just because I wore tie-dyes! They were allowed to search me or my locker any time! I was a good student, too!

I think it's rude and immature. You cannot foresee someones future by how they dress! There are plenty of sober punk rockers! I'd complain to the president, they are supposed to be good role models, not give bad predicitons for kids!
Don't let it insult you, though, just encourage your kid to proove them wrong and laugh at them if you can.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
hockeymom6201
Registered Users
seller

In highschool there were more crazy dressed drug free people , Than the A&F Stoned Team !!! lol Admin needs to learn where to draw a line !!
Old 05-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
smugsmilz
Registered Users

I would call AP and tell him that unless he is paid to be a fortune teller-put away the tea leaves and teach.

smugsmilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:23 PM   #8
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

Unbelievable! I think you need to either talk to the ap or someone else at the school. I don't think he should get away with making remarks like that about your son. What he says might affect other peoples opinions of your son - it can change how teachers treat him and eventualy can really harm your son if he is seen as a bad kid, troubled, etc. He's already been harmed by it IMO. My friend's son was labeled a troublemaker a while back, the word spread & several of his teachers treat him poorly/with distrust based off their expectations because of what the others say. It really sets him up for failure.

Anyway, that's worse case, I don't mean to upset you, I just think people who work with kids needs to be fair to them & understand the impact of their assumptions/predictions that aren't based in fact.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

My dh has a cousin who dresses in black, with those weird bracelets, black fingernail polish, piercings, chains hanging off him...but he is seriously the absolutely sweetest teenage boy I have ever met in my life. Not exaggerating. Other people obviously don't see him that way because of the way he looks. It's not right to judge a book by its cover, but that's what happens.
I still say that your son should be encouraged to continue expressing himself through dress, as long as he continues to be God-honoring (I am assuming because of your post that you are Christians).
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #10
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It urks me when school officials say junk like that. I use to dress that way (still wear my leather jacket too) and I think I turned out rather well and have never touched a drug a day in my life. I hate it when they judge a book by it's cover. I would complain to the school. They had no right saying something like that. By the way your DS has such a cute face! My nephew dresses the same way, it's a style. All kids have a style they follow.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote