Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Will vinegar soak get rid of poop smell?

I just started having poopy smell isues with "clean" diapers. So I've started sniffing them as they come out of the dryer. If one still smells like poop, it goes back into the wetbag to get washed again.

Yesterday I put my clothes line up, and I line dried all of my diapers. As usual, I smelled them as I was taking them off of the line. All of them were fine, except for one pocket diaper. It's odd, I NEVER have stink issues with my prefolds or with my bamboo fitteds.... just my AIOs and pockets.

This was the diaper that DS had a MAJOR blow out in, and since we weren't home when it happened, it didn't get rinsed off right away. Should I soak all my diapers in vinegar if they smell poopy?

So if I should soak in vinegar...how much and how long? Should I soak in oxyclean instead? Is oxyclean safe for colors? I've never had this issue...up till now my wash routine has worked fine at keeping stink away (mostly amonia), so I'm not sure what to do.

I read the stripping thread, but it talks about ammonia, not poop.

Thanks
God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
mommy2gr8kids78
Fairies and Fireflies~ Add Magic

My Mood:
Re: Will vinegar soak get rid of poop smell?

I hate my pockets for this very reason. My prefolds always smell great after a wash but not my pockets. I've used Vinegar, stripping, bleach, different detergents, everything. I just can't seem to get rid of the smell. I used Bac-out too!

For me, vinegar didn't work.
mommy2gr8kids78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
jade1930
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I soak the diapers overnight. We use prefolds and pockets. I fill the washer for a rinse, add about a cup of vinegar and just let the diapers sit. The next morning, let it run, do a full wash and a second rinse with less water then line dry. Vinegar is the best!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To fix the problem now, I would soak in oxiclean free and rewash.

But in general, it sounds like you have some sort of detergent problem - too much, too little, the wrong kind. Whatcha using?

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
To fix the problem now, I would soak in oxiclean free and rewash.

But in general, it sounds like you have some sort of detergent problem - too much, too little, the wrong kind. Whatcha using?
Wash Routine:
Spray off poop diapers with diaper sprayer.
Squirt poop diapers with Bac-Out.
Toss all dirty diapers into wetbag to await washing.
Cold pre-wash with no detergent.
Hot wash with Charlie's Soap
Hot post-wash with no detergent
(my dryer only does cold rinse).

For a while I was using the whole amount of Charlie's Soap. I had no poop smell issues, but I started to have ammonia issues. Stripped diapers and figured out that my ammonia issue was detergent build up. So then I started using 1/2 the amount of detergent.

Up-on checking for suds at the end of the rinse cycle (during the cycle that i used detergent) the water still looked kinda dirty, so in the third cycle (normally no detergent) I added another 1/2 squirt of Charlie's. The water in the rinse looked clean, and there were no bubbles.

Then I hung all my laundry up. Prefolds, fitteds, inserts (mostly bamboo or zorb) and wipes all smelled clean. So it's just that one pocket (it was the only pocket in the wash that day) and the AIO's that smelled Poopy.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1930 View Post
I soak the diapers overnight. We use prefolds and pockets. I fill the washer for a rinse, add about a cup of vinegar and just let the diapers sit. The next morning, let it run, do a full wash and a second rinse with less water then line dry. Vinegar is the best!
Do you soak every load of diapers over night in vinegar? Or only occisonally, when you smell issues?

Thanks
God bless,
Michelle

Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
LibertyChic
Registered Users

My Mood:

Vinegar hasn't worked for me on poop stink issues. I usually end up giving them a shot of bleach about once a month...
LibertyChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyChic View Post
Vinegar hasn't worked for me on poop stink issues. I usually end up giving them a shot of bleach about once a month...
Yes, you could try a bit of bleach occasionally.

This is how I would tweak your routine:

I would use vinegar in the prewash to get rid of the ammonia.

Then you can use the full amount of Charlies. That should help the poop smell, especially if the water was still looking dirty.

Another hot wash.

Once per month, a tablespoon or two of bleach if necessary.

Strip those stinky pockets and AIOs separately.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Yes, you could try a bit of bleach occasionally.

This is how I would tweak your routine:

I would use vinegar in the prewash to get rid of the ammonia.

Then you can use the full amount of Charlies. That should help the poop smell, especially if the water was still looking dirty.

Another hot wash.

Once per month, a tablespoon or two of bleach if necessary.

Strip those stinky pockets and AIOs separately.
I didn't think you were supposed to use bleach on PUL and elastic?

Thank you.
What is your favorite stripping routine?

When I have stripped before, I would wash my diapers (cold-prewash, hot wash) and then just keep washing on hot with no detergent until there are no bubbles. Since my washer only does a cold rinse, what I would do is wait for the "wash" cycle to finish, then as it's starting to fill up for the rinse cycle, just turn it off, then turn the knob back over to the wash cycle and keep washing in hot. I'd also add a few pots of boiling water from the stock pot and my next largest pot.

Suggestions?
Thanks
God bless!
Michelle

Old 03-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
I didn't think you were supposed to use bleach on PUL and elastic?

Thank you.
What is your favorite stripping routine?

When I have stripped before, I would wash my diapers (cold-prewash, hot wash) and then just keep washing on hot with no detergent until there are no bubbles. Since my washer only does a cold rinse, what I would do is wait for the "wash" cycle to finish, then as it's starting to fill up for the rinse cycle, just turn it off, then turn the knob back over to the wash cycle and keep washing in hot. I'd also add a few pots of boiling water from the stock pot and my next largest pot.

Suggestions?
Thanks
God bless!
Michelle
No, you are not supposed to use bleach on many diapers; I would take out all covers and anything that doesn't smell before adding the bleach. But one or two tablespoons will probably not cause any problems, and if you are going to not be able to use the diaper because of the smell, bleach seems like a better option than throwing it away. BumGenius! are supposed to be bleached once a month.

I strip exactly the way you do. For the offending pocket, I would take it into the kitchen and scrub the fleece with a drop of Dawn and a toothbrush, then rinse it like crazy in the sink, and then proceed with the stripping as you described. If you have hard water, you can try some Calgon water softener or RLR.