Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2006, 01:40 AM   #11
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:
Re: Importance Of A 5pt Harness....( Get the tissues!)

Im sorry. I wasn't meaning it rudely. I have been having horrid week. Totally horrid. Had to take a shower and bawl it all out today in fact...........I messed up what I was going to say so it came out bad instead of: "yep, there were 2 threads here, if you do a search you'll find lots of great info in them as we had carseat techs helping all of us w/ our questions. There were two videos posted I believe. Both very sad."

sorry I was tired and burnt and upset and slacked on my kindness and empathy.

Advertisement

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:19 AM   #12
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMTo2 View Post
Im sorry. I wasn't meaning it rudely. I have been having horrid week. Totally horrid. Had to take a shower and bawl it all out today in fact...........I messed up what I was going to say so it came out bad instead of: "yep, there were 2 threads here, if you do a search you'll find lots of great info in them as we had carseat techs helping all of us w/ our questions. There were two videos posted I believe. Both very sad."

you sound like you need a . i hope today is better for you.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #13
RedneckWoman
Banned

My Mood:

that's a great video, but the car seats are held in by seatbelts right? So What difference is the type of carseat used going to make in a seatbelt failure situation? Some of us can't afford a brand new car with all the fancy schmancy latch systems and such. I can see a 5pt. making a difference should the seat remain in place, and the idea that a top tether alone would've made a difference is just dumb. Great now the child and his seat are free to swing about the inside of the car becoming a danger to themselves and other passengers.

don't get me wrong. Proper use of a car seat is vital and getting the best one you can afford makes sense, but in the end most rely on the seatbelts and that puts us right back at square one.

Does this make sense?
RedneckWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #14
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG
Old 12-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #15
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong---I saw this thing a few weeks ago and cried through the whole thing.

I think the little boy who died was in a booster seat. The seatbelt did fail BUT because he was in a booster seat he had no protection when he was thrown from the car. What I got out of it (assuming this is the same video I saw a few weeks ago--i can't make myself watch it again) is that with a traditional car seat and a five point harness, if something horrible happened (like the seat belts failing) and the child and car seat were thrown from the car, at least the child is in a five point harness and is in a car seat and therefore has some protection.

Last edited by Mom2Taylor; 12-07-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Mom2Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #16
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...your+kids+safe

The kid in the video was in a booster. He had something under it like a towel or something. Also, they think the belt failed because it got bumped/unlocked if I remember correctly.

5pt harness keeps your kid safer than a booster. The above thread I posted is the first one that popped up, it has the details and links to sites (sites on recomendations for kiddos and also for info on what the studies they have done show).

There are lots of ?'s and they were answered by car seat techs.

And thanks for the hug mama, I'm so glad you understood and forgive me.

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #17
cicily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For those that aren't able to get a Britax, the Fisher Price Safe Voyage looks to be a good option. It is made in conjunction with Britax and uses the Decathlon Shell and Marathon Harness system.

Fisher Price Safe Voyage - Black
Fisher Price Safe Voyage - Red Circus Plaid
Fisher Price Safe Voyage - Circus Dots
cicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #18
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Red face Re: Importance Of A 5pt Harness....( Get the tissues!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckWoman View Post
that's a great video, but the car seats are held in by seatbelts right? So What difference is the type of carseat used going to make in a seatbelt failure situation? Some of us can't afford a brand new car with all the fancy schmancy latch systems and such. I can see a 5pt. making a difference should the seat remain in place, and the idea that a top tether alone would've made a difference is just dumb. Great now the child and his seat are free to swing about the inside of the car becoming a danger to themselves and other passengers.

don't get me wrong. Proper use of a car seat is vital and getting the best one you can afford makes sense, but in the end most rely on the seatbelts and that puts us right back at square one.

Does this make sense?
Actually yes seatbelts are used and was up until recently the only way to fasten the carseat in. (Within the last 10 -5 yrs I think) Then the LATCH system came a/b. It tethers the seat to the inside of the cars seat in. The tether rod is either welded or bolted to the frame of the car. In the state of GA if you have Medicaid then you qualify for a new seat that has a 5 point harness and the latch system and is absolutely free. You go to the seminar (as I have stated) that is also free. To me though, my child's life is priceless! For my girls to be safe when we are in our vehicles is worth whatever I have to pay. ALL of the newer model seats are REQUIRED to have the LATCH system by law. So it's not JUST the expensive seats that have the "Fancy" stuff. We are as broke as a hant....but a parent has to do what a parent has to do, KWIM? I would much rather my child be in a car seat with a 5pt harness come loose in the vehicle and have some protection than just be flying around free to hit anything. There isn't much room for a seat to fly around but a loose child....well..I am sure you get the picture. This sounded kind of rude, but it wasn't meant that way. Safety for children should be TOP priority even if it costs $$$$, I am sure if you child was the one thrown from the vehicle you would give and $$$$ to get them back!
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #19
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMTo2 View Post

Sounded like you needed that! No problem....IT seems like EVRYTIME I have started ANY kind of thread someone has posted to me that it's already been done....yada yada yada...Just got the best of me..LOL I guess I shouldn't have been so quick to judge.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #20
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: Importance Of A 5pt Harness....( Get the tissues!)

Also I just seen this reality show on TV a/b hopitals. There was a 2 yr old that was brought in to the ER and his little sister that was 1 year old. The 2 yr old had been in a booster and the younger one was in a convertible car seat W/ a 5 pt harness. The 2 yr old died, the baby didn't. He flew out of the booster seat....the seat belt worked fine but he came out from the force of impact. He met all the requirements for the booster too. He was 42 lbs (big 2 yr old huh?) and was tall enough for the seat....but it still didn't hold him in! The mother was screaming as they brought her child by her in the ER...he had already died by the time they reached the hospital.