Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Your experience with GERD or acid reflux

Yup, just remember it takes anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks to fully kick in, so don't expect an instant fix. One other thing I know a lot of reflux mamas use is mylanta supreme. You can only use the "supreme" cherry one, because it's the only one that doesn't have aluminum in it, and you give them 1-2 ml, just enough to coat their esophagus. Also, you can't give it within 2 hours of their other meds, and only a couple of times a day. but until the prevacid kicked in, it was what got us by.

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i just want to chime in and say that it *may* be something in your diet since you said you were breastfeeding. It seems a lot of docs are quick to give a pill - and it seems a LOT of moms think their babies have reflux, but our ped told us ALL babies have some form of reflux, and it is a laundry problem, not a medical problem unless they aren't gaining weight.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

while, yes, diet can definitely be a factor and should be looked into, the extreme behavior mentioned by all pps is the degree of reflux that can lead to permanent damage. According to the reflux info I have found, 40% of babies have some degree of reflux, and not all of those require meds, but even though my baby was gaining weight, her esophagus and lungs were in danger, and she did need meds. I agree that most docs are pill happy, but this is also a condition that needs to be taken seriously.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
i just want to chime in and say that it *may* be something in your diet since you said you were breastfeeding. It seems a lot of docs are quick to give a pill - and it seems a LOT of moms think their babies have reflux, but our ped told us ALL babies have some form of reflux, and it is a laundry problem, not a medical problem unless they aren't gaining weight.

I agree that all babies may reflux (ie. spit up) at certain times...but the degree of symptoms is the major determinent of wether it is a disorder or just a occasional "upset tummy". For example maybe I only experience heartburn when I eat nachos vs. suffering with it on a daily basis. My DS had chest x-rays done due to the amount of "rattling" in his chest and he was found to have scar tissue in his lungs which can be indicative of aspiration. ie. milk was going into his lungs and causing damage. Also, severe reflux can cause a lot of damage in the esophagus if left untreated. I agree that all non-drug measures should be tried, but sometimes that isn't enough.