Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Jeb-O
Registered Users

Re: twins - identical vs fraternal questions....

There is an online DNA test that is $99. That is the only "true" way to know.

I'm 99% certain ours are frats, but they were never tested. They just look like total opposites, were in separate sacs and had fused placentas.

Advertisement

Jeb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
mommygonewild
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my guys had separate sacs and they said they could not tell if they were diamniotic/monochorinic util after birth.

as far as i know monochorionic doesn't necessarily mean they share the same placenta, but the outer chorion/outer membrane that surrounds the sacs.

here's what I just found on About.com

When monozygotic twins are contained in a shared chorion, they are referred to as monochorionic. The chorion is the outer membrane of the sac surrounding a fetus in utero. Monochorionic twins can be either monoamnionic or diamnionic.

so basically they couldn't tell if one egg split or not. the only sure way to tell in utero would be if they shared a sac...mo/mo.

so after my guys were born they examined and determined they did share the outer chorion and are identical.

hope this helps. i know you get conflicting info.

#1 Rule - Do not listen to the US tech, they are NOT doctors (unless it's your Dr reading it).

Last edited by mommygonewild; 03-29-2009 at 04:52 PM.
mommygonewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
Twinvillageiowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You actually can't tell without a blood test for di/di. That is what mine are and we were told that 100% they were frat. but nope, they are ID!!!! We did a cheek swab test when they were about 1 and just like I kept saying, they are identical. Having seperate everything just means that the egg split really early
Old 03-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
Twinvillageiowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And FWIW, I would do the dna test. It is only like $100 bucks and ID twins are direct organ donors and blood donors.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
Super Mom Of 6 Girls
Registered Users
Formerly: GirlyMama81
seller

We were also told the only true way to tell is by DNA. My twins each had their own sac and placenta and they are identical. We did do DNA but it only cost like $120 from a lab I found an add for in a twin magazine. Mine are greater than 99% identical. But if I had waited I would of known. They will be 6 on Halloween and if they are seperate I have even mixed them up. Bad mommie!!
Super Mom Of 6 Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #16
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyMama81 View Post
We were also told the only true way to tell is by DNA. My twins each had their own sac and placenta and they are identical. We did do DNA but it only cost like $120 from a lab I found an add for in a twin magazine. Mine are greater than 99% identical. But if I had waited I would of known. They will be 6 on Halloween and if they are seperate I have even mixed them up. Bad mommie!!
My twins were later determined to be identical after my entire pregnancy I was told they were fraternal b/c they had seperate sacs. BUT at birth we were told there was an 80% chance they were frat. and only 20% that they were identical due to one placenta but whether or not it was fused was the question. I never heard anything back from pathology about it. I asked our Ped what she thought just looking at them and she said identical because they both had ingrown toenails on one foot pretty bad and the other foot just a little. LOL

It was never really a big deal, they don't really look alike to me, but to everyone else they do. Some people can't even tell them apart. But we participated in an MIT Twin Language Research Study when they were about 1 or 2yrs old and got t-shirts and $20 every month plus at the end you got free zygosity testing. 3 YEARS LATER no to mention 2 or 3 houses later... I get a postcard in the mail offering us our DNA testing since we were on file as never recving it! I was so excited and they sent us the kit and we sent it back and within a couple weeks we found out they were 99.999999998% identical!! LOL It was a fun experience since EVERYONE asks, but I never would have paid for it OOP.

And I don't know if anyone has mentioned this as I only scanned the posts, but there are actually rare forms of identical b/g twins and idendtical mirror twins as well as twins who have been conceived from 2 sperm inside one sac of 2 eggs... it's crazy! I watched a show on Discovery Health on twins recently and they talked a LOT about the different types.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #17
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post

And I don't know if anyone has mentioned this as I only scanned the posts, but there are actually rare forms of identical b/g twins and idendtical mirror twins as well as twins who have been conceived from 2 sperm inside one sac of 2 eggs... it's crazy! I watched a show on Discovery Health on twins recently and they talked a LOT about the different types.
I saw that too! It's crazy all the different things than can happen. The b/g id's are so rare, I never bring it up. I think that's what happens when the 2 sperm fertilize one egg or something like that, but I can't remember. Oh wait! I remember. It's when the sperm that fertilizes the egg has an extra x gene. So instead of being xy or xx, its xxy. This is actually a condition that can happen to a singleton boy. I can't remember what it's called or what it's symptoms are. Anyway, it when the egg splits, one becomes xx and the other xy (boy/girl). I knew some twins in high school that were g/b that I would have thought were ID if I didn't know better. Anyway, mine are g/b and when people ask I do tend to say something like, "well, they are g/b so not id." But, in the back of my mind I think of that show and the rare chance that it does happen. It's like 1 in a million or something though.