Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Registered Users
the growing family-having more kids?

since this is a fabulous group of people from all walks of life, i am did you know you wanted to continue adding to your family?
(and...does your family size match what you grew up in? does your family size fit the area you live in? was money an issue in your decision?)

we have 2 kids. before having kids, dh and i knew we wanted 2 or 3 kids. each of us came from families of 2 kids. and we live in an area in which most families are 2 kids. sometimes 3. a family of 4 gets talked about as being big and i even hear "what are they thinking?" comments. i lent maternity clothes to a friend and her mom brought them back to me, saying, "you probably won't need these again" (because we have 2 already). so, support of a growing family worries me a bit. we are not religious, so religious beliefs don't play into it at all for us.

so here we are. our son is now 15 months old and about the age we should be thinking about when we might want to try for #3. my dh is a "yes" on having a 3rd, but would respect my "no" if i said i didn't want to go for it. financially, we are okay if dh stays employed. (i lost my job last year during maternity leave and haven't found a new one, which seems okay for now, but a whole other thread topic, really!) we would probably need to move houses due to size of this one and quality of the school system we are in (can't afford private).

but, i have reservations. (see above, my dh doesn't. he is ready.) how do i know if i want a 3rd? sometimes our family feels complete, sometimes not. sometimes i long to be pregnant and go through newborn stage again. sometimes i think that must be crazy to want to go through that again.

and sometimes i have a tough time managing the 2 that i have. how do moms of more do it?

help! input and personal experiences would be helpful. thanks.

N, wife to M , and nutty, earth friendly, thrifty, homeschooling mamma to my girl bug , born 9/04, my grinning boy , born 12/07, and three angel babies.
Join us as we creatively live lightly on less. My blog: Creative. Light. Less.

Last edited by katia; 03-27-2009 at 05:55 PM.
katia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: the growing family-having more kids?

Right now we have 2 kids as well. I came from a home with 3 kids and DH came from a home with 6 kids.

In the future we think we want to have at least 1-2 more. Our two are boys and we would really love a little girl someday. Sometimes I feel like our family is already complete with our 2 little guys so who knows what the future will hold. I know I'm not much help.

It would also depend upon if I was able to stay home with the kids. We will probably spend time meditating/praying about it in a few years and see what feels right at that time. I know what you mean . . . Somedays I feel like I'm running around crazy with 2 kids.
bethiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
My Mood:
Re: the growing family-having more kids?

I'm from the traditional family of 2 kids. DH's family had three.

He's constantly joked, before I got pregnant, about having 10 kids. Me, I'd never want to have an only child - having my sister for a friend was invaluable growing up, but I can't imagine having a very large family either. I think 4 would be my limit, but we'll see after the next one if I'm interested in having any more. I'm not a happy pregnant person, or I wasn't with DD.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote