Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
MelindaLW143
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wool Lovers and Wannabes!

I see posts every single day asking about wool...everyone wants to try it, and everyone wants to know why it's so loved. I know I have a 100 questions about it, and no matter how much I troll these boards, I feel like no one can give me the definitive answers I'm looking for, or the shove over the cliff into the woolie pit. Sooo, I'm starting this thread hopefully to get some incite, and maybe help a few others out. Woolie mamas...this is a survey for you!

The Woolie Survey

1. Why do you have the woolie love to begin with?
2. How many wool longies/soakers/shorties/skirties do you own?
3. How many of them do you actually use?
4. How many do you use in one day?
5. What is your preference (interlock, knit, or recycled) and why?
6. Is caring for wool harder or easier than you thought?
7. How often do you wash and lanolize?
8. What do you use to lanolize?
9. What do you use to wash?
10. Do you have a specific wash routine?
11. Are there any other tips you have for caring for wool?
12. Do you use wool under clothes or as clothes themselves?
13. How much are you willing to spend on a piece of wool?
14. What got you over the fears of wool being to hot/itchy?
15. Have you found a nighttime wool that you love?
16. Where's your favorite place to buy wool? or do you make your own (if you make your own then I wanna know how you learned to knit or crochet)?
17. Have you ever had a terrible woolie accident that has scarred you?
18. Are you super protective of your wool?
19. Have you ever wanted to give up the wool?
20. What would you tell a mama to infect them with the woolie virus?

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Titus2woman
Registered Users

Re: Wool Lovers and Wannabes!

I'm a woolie wannabe and can't wait to crochet some for our coming October baby blessing! Hope I love it as much as I think I will~I've romanticized it to a pretty high standing... LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Len27
Registered Users
seller

lol, good post! I'm a wool rookie, but I see how it catches on. For me, I started with something un-scary- two recycled wool shorties off a woman who sells on etsy. She was awesome to work with and helped me figure out sizing and style. I would have preferred soakers, but they just weren't going to work with my DD's longer rise. I went with a thinner lambswool one and a thicker merino wool one- both are very, very soft and don't seem to bother DD at all- we primarily use them for naps right now, though once we get some warmer weather and she can go without pants I think they'll be great under dresses!
The wool tutorial in the FAQ section here is great- someone posted a step by step washing and lanolizing thread with pics and that was VERY helpful. I feel like I sorta know what I'm doing now.
And now I have a wool cover on the way! A CYA cashmere wrap to be exact, I'm excited. Not quite ready for the world of longies and whatnot, but I like what we have.
Advice for other rookies...find a simple way to jump in. For me that was recycled wool because it's not as expensive.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's cute and functional

Currently, 3 longies, 4 soakers, 2 shorties

All but the shorties...those are for summer

Probably 2 or 3

Interlock. It works the best

No...it's very easy.

Every week or two. We don't have a large rotation so whenever they start to smell or leak.

Liquid lanolin from ENI

Either baby wash or Ecover wool wash

Yes. I rinse the items and then soak them for 20 min in a sink of wool wash. Rinse and drain. Then do a lanolin soak for 20 min.

Use a spray lanolin in the wet zone every few uses.

Both!

I have a pair of Sbish pants that I paid $60 for. But I figured out that I can get a few things for that price. So while I love them I had to start bargain shopping.

Using it for myself. Interlock is soft and cuddly. And works good in any temp.

We usually use a wcw soaker at night. And it is damp in the morning but nothing else is

16. Where's your favorite place to buy wool? or do you make your own (if you make your own then I wanna know how you learned to knit or crochet)?
On FSOT.

No. Not yet Lol. Almost though. DS spilled red juice all over his sbish longies and I was freaking out. Grabbed a towel, wiped the pants off and no stains or wetness! The stayed dry through the whole thing

No. Not super. It's interlock so it's less likely to have a catastrophic shrinking issue.

When I first started wool I did give up. I bought a pair of longies and they were scratchy. So I sold them and quit for months. Then I decided to give it another go...and apparently it was only that pair that was scratchy.

It's easy to use, easy to wash, and we haven't had even 1/8th of the leaks we had with PUL!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
lashon20
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I want to know about wool also as I wanna buy some Kiwi Pie and Luxe wool covers.
lashon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
jpicasso
Registered Users
seller

I fell in love with wool because it's cute

Um No longies, 3 soakers and at last count 13 pairs of shorties

All of them at some point or another

1 unless we have a blowout or DS makes a mess on whatever he is wearing

Interlock, works the best, easiest to wash

easier

Every 2 to 3 weeks

Either Northern Essence or Ewe Need It liquid wool wash

Same as above, Ewe Need It wool wash bars if I need to scrub a stain. Sometimes if my interlock is really dirty, I throw it in the wash machine.

I guess, fill a bowl with warm water with a healthy squirt of wool wash

Not really that I can think of

Both, but mostly as clothes

The most I've spent is $48, if I found something I REALLY wanted, I might spend more but probably not

Rubbing it on my face and not feeling irritated. Also the first day my DD spent in wool, she didn't seem a bit uncomfortable

Yes, Grateful Buns

For crochet - sophiasmomma here on DS, favorite knitters are Little Trunks and Tree Frog Knits

Nope

Nope, I personally buy and make things for my DS to wear, he's a baby and is going to be messy and have butt explosions

nope

It's super cute, and much more breathable than PUL
Old 03-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
MelindaLW143
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Calling more woolie mommies!!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
JMBaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

I always wanted to try it and I finally was talked into a wool soaker by the owner of a bricks and mortar store. It infected me.

I have no longies yet (though I would LOVE some SBish longies!), 2 soakers, 4 wrap covers.

I don't use the soakers anymore because my son outgrew them but I use the rest of my covers.

Usually just two or three but I'm transitioning into using wool all day and that might mean more.

I like interlock and whatever is used in Loveybums Crepe covers because it's so thin and light and works really well. Not crazy about the look and thickness of knit.

MUCH EASIER than I thought.

It's been two weeks since I've washed a cover except a tiny spot on the side. I lanolize on an "as needed" basis (i.e. if I notice the wool is starting to feel wetter).

Just lanolin and Eucalan wool wash.

Eucalan wool wash.

For washing I just mix recommended dose of Eucalan in tepid water and wash.

Not really. It's pretty darned easy.

I have used it under clothes successfully and I would love to get some SBish karate pants to use as clothes.

Around $30 or so depending on the wool.

I felt it and it was so soft. I put it on him and my baby was cool to the touch.

Loveybums all the way.

Here on FSOT.. it's so cheap and usually very gently used.

No

Not really.

NEVER!

It just plan works and if you end up not liking it you can always sell it and there will definitely be Moms who will buy it!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
JaeCraig
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like to try new things. I tried it... I liked it! Plus, it's something I can make myself for really cheap when you're talkin recycled.

I have 5 recycled longies, 2 knit longies, 2 knit shorties, 1 soaker

hmm, I use most of them I guess. I cycle through them for outfit matching mostly.

two-ish

I haven't used interlock yet. (I'm a little afraid to, because I get to obsessive. ) I love the look of knit, so those are my fav. for going out.. but I love the ease of care and inexpensiveness of recycled. For night I use a soaker that I super reinforced in the wet zone.

easier than I thought.

My guy still spits up constantly so I wash more often than other people might. If we manage to avoid spitting spots then every couple of weeks. As it is, I just kinda make a wool pile and wash when the pile gets big enough anyway.

Just lanolin and baby wash

baby wash

inside out and I wash in my kitchen sink with room temp water.

If you are using pure lanolin make sure you get it REALLY mixed up and dissolved. Otherwise you get lanolin spots

As clothes. I still use PUL if I'm putting clothes on top.

Recycled I can do for as little as free or as much as $5. Knit can be $$ so far I have a $60 limit though. (some are way more) I'm thinking of allowing $50ish for some interlock after reading here though.

Some wool out there is just so so so soft and cuddly.... I could barely believe it was real wool

Make my own recycled soakers. They're the best so far.

FSOT. I am teaching myself to knit right now though. I have one shortie and half a longie under my belt.

No

only the knit

I'm a part-timer anyway, so no

It is SO much fun. You think diapers are fun, think of a whole external world of diaper covers the whole world can "ooh" and "awww" at.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
precious_caden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. Why do you have the woolie love to begin with? Not sure- I got into fitteds but didnt love PUL covers. I liked that wool was breathable and people were crazy over wool so I thought I'd give it a try.

2. How many wool longies/soakers/shorties/skirties do you own? A bunch for the new baby. Mostly Interlock, some knit by me. I will post pics soon.

3. How many of them do you actually use? When I had wool with DS, I had a lot and didn't use it all. But I knit my own so I went a little overboard.

4. How many do you use in one day? I would rotate through a few favorites.

5. What is your preference (interlock, knit, or recycled) and why? I loved interlock soakers (luxe) and knit shorties in the summer, knit longies in the winter. The only thing about interlock I hated was the lighter colors show dirt more, and no matter what I did I couldn't get it nice again (even with machine washing).

6. Is caring for wool harder or easier than you thought? Easier. I started out washing and lanolizing separate, which was a waste of time. I found that wool wash with lanolin in it worked just fine.

7. How often do you wash and lanolize? I had a lot, so every 2-3 weeks. I loved the scents so sometimes I'd wash more frequently for fun.

8. What do you use to lanolize? Just used wool wash with lanolin, although its nice to have a scented lanolin spray to freshen up between washings (plus I'm addicted to the scents)

9. What do you use to wash? Naturally Luxe liquid WOW wash

10. Do you have a specific wash routine? Just warm water, swish the wash in the sink and lay wool in inside out. If wool was really dirty for some reason I'd rinse first in the same temp as the water. I dont rinse after its in the wool wash, but Ill lay in a towel to gently get the excess water out, or Ill spin in the washer to get water out.

11. Are there any other tips you have for caring for wool? Don't use hot water, and don't rinse in cold and put it in warm right away. The temp difference can cause felting. Also don't agitate while its in the water. Be careful not to over lanolize.

12. Do you use wool under clothes or as clothes themselves? Sometimes I used a Luxe soaker under clothes. Mostly just wool by itself.

13. How much are you willing to spend on a piece of wool? Whatever the cost of a new Luxe is, although I'd rarely do that. Id buy on FSOT. And as far as knit goes, I just buy the yarn and knit myself.

14. What got you over the fears of wool being to hot/itchy? The Purewool I ordered. It was so soft. I started with recycled and didn't find the love. Then I found BFL, and from there I realized wool was soft. However I cannot do Peace Fleece. I get itchy.

15. Have you found a nighttime wool that you love? I didn't really use wool at night, but when I did I have some crocheted shorties that rocked!

16. Where's your favorite place to buy wool? or do you make your own (if you make your own then I wanna know how you learned to knit or crochet)? Knit my own, learned on knittinghelp.com. Other than that I love buying on FSOT

17. Have you ever had a terrible woolie accident that has scarred you? No

18. Are you super protective of your wool? No, but if I was paying retail for a nice pair of knit longies I might be.

19. Have you ever wanted to give up the wool? No but I go back and forth a lot between pockets, fitteds and wool, and AIO's. My mood changes a lot and sometimes I'm not in the mood for it.

20. What would you tell a mama to infect them with the woolie virus? Get a Luxe soaker for the summer, one that's in excellent condition and has colors you love. Try and find a good deal on FSOT for knit stuff. Get some yummy wool wash.