Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
kailansmom04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wool Lovers and Wannabes!

Thanks so much for this thread!! I cant wait to read more. I got my first fnd soaker and sbish pants with more wool on the way and i had no clue what to do with it!!

Advertisement

kailansmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
Lyttlewon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. Why do you have the woolie love to begin with? A friend of mine owns a knitting business and she gave me my first hand knit wool.
2. How many wool longies/soakers/shorties/skirties do you own? I have 8 pairs of longies and 4-5 pairs of shorts.
3. How many of them do you actually use? All of them?
4. How many do you use in one day? We usually use one pair a day
5. What is your preference (interlock, knit, or recycled) and why? Knit. The sizing of knit is forgiving. You can fit a child in it that might not be the right size because it will stretch. I am worried about buying interlock that doesn't fit.
6. Is caring for wool harder or easier than you thought? I think wool care is easy
7. How often do you wash and lanolize? Once a month maybe?
8. What do you use to lanolize? Naturally Luxe Wool wash
9. What do you use to wash? Same as #8
10. Do you have a specific wash routine? I fill my top loader with water. Squirt in wool wash, soak, flip to spin only, spin it out and then throw it on a drying rack.
11. Are there any other tips you have for caring for wool? Keep it away from your dog.
12. Do you use wool under clothes or as clothes themselves? Both
13. How much are you willing to spend on a piece of wool? $80
14. What got you over the fears of wool being to hot/itchy? I wasn't afraid of it being hot or itchy.
15. Have you found a nighttime wool that you love? We just use the same wool that we use during the day.
16. Where's your favorite place to buy wool? or do you make your own (if you make your own then I wanna know how you learned to knit or crochet)? I get a lot of my stuff in yarn for wool swaps. Otherwise I do YYMN customs and Ryann of Woolen Wishes is my favorite knitter. I know how to make my own but I don't usually have the time.
17. Have you ever had a terrible woolie accident that has scarred you? DS got into a bag of grout sand, add water and mix kind of stuff, and had it all over himself. I was afraid if I washed them they would get hard. I vacuumed them off and they were fine.
18. Are you super protective of your wool? I don't like it when people make fun of it.
19. Have you ever wanted to give up the wool? No
20. What would you tell a mama to infect them with the woolie virus? It is a lot easier than it seems and there are plenty of wools out there that are durable and soft.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
mommyfrog
Registered Users

[

The Woolie Survey

1. Why do you have the woolie love to begin with? I think they look cute.
2. How many wool longies/soakers/shorties/skirties do you own? Maybe 10 or 12.
3. How many of them do you actually use?We have 6 in rotation right now.
4. How many do you use in one day? I usually alternate between two.
5. What is your preference (interlock, knit, or recycled) and why? I use recycled for $$ reasons. I want to get some crocheted by my SIL's mom.
6. Is caring for wool harder or easier than you thought? Easier.
7. How often do you wash and lanolize? Every 3-4 weeks.
8. What do you use to lanolize? Lansinoh.
9. What do you use to wash? Burts Bees baby wash.
10. Do you have a specific wash routine? I just wash with the baby wash, drain the water, then put more water in and pour the melted lanolin over them. I do it in the tub, then wash the tub out with baking soda.
11. Are there any other tips you have for caring for wool? No.
12. Do you use wool under clothes or as clothes themselves? I usually use them as clothes, but have put a soaker under his fleece jammies before.
13. How much are you willing to spend on a piece of wool? Don't know.
14. What got you over the fears of wool being to hot/itchy? I never had that problem. I had a wool sweater as a teenager that I loved. Then my mom shrunk it.
15. Have you found a nighttime wool that you love? I still don't use it at night unless it's over a FB.
16. Where's your favorite place to buy wool? or do you make your own (if you make your own then I wanna know how you learned to knit or crochet)? I make my own recycled and would love to learn to crochet or knit to make them.
17. Have you ever had a terrible woolie accident that has scarred you? Nope.
18. Are you super protective of your wool? Ummmm...not really, since it's all recyled and didn't cost much in the first place. I can replace it easily.
19. Have you ever wanted to give up the wool? No.
20. What would you tell a mama to infect them with the woolie virus? I don't know. I think you either love them or you don't. But they are much easier to take care of than people think.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
mrshamilton06
Registered Users

My Mood:

1. Why do you have the woolie love to begin with?
I like the fit. How cute they are and the fact that it is a natural breatheable fiber. I make many of my own woolies for sweaters. The knits i own are 3rd or 4th generation (3 people before my kids) and They PUL i have seen wears out much quicker. Plus a pair of pants is easier than a cover and then comercial pants that rarely fit over a cd bum
2. How many wool longies/soakers/shorties/skirties do you own?
I have 2 footies (in rotation) 2 shorties knit, 4 longies from sweaters, 2 longies that are knit.
3. How many of them do you actually use?
I use all of them. I may have to many but most people i know have just as many cotton items for their children.
4. How many do you use in one day?
one or two. depends if she soaks it or a diaper leaks a bit of poo. if its just a super pee i hang it to air dry and use it later. if it is a poo leak i put it in my wash pile of woolies
5. What is your preference (interlock, knit, or recycled) and why?
I like the look of knits but they can get pricey. even used. I make my own recycled so it is very cost efficient and i love them. I dont use interlock. I owuld rather have something handmade or recycles.
6. Is caring for wool harder or easier than you thought?
easier. i dont like handwashing but i only do it once a month if that.
7. How often do you wash and lanolize?
1-2 months
8. What do you use to lanolize?
Lanolin balm once every 6 months. Eucalan every time i wash. and a lanolin bar for spot cleans
9. What do you use to wash?
eucalan or wool wash bar
10. Do you have a specific wash routine?
uhhh no
11. Are there any other tips you have for caring for wool?
get a swaeter whaver for al the pillies
12. Do you use wool under clothes or as clothes themselves?
as the clothing themselves. with a dress or t-shirt
13. How much are you willing to spend on a piece of wool?
25$ is my max. i buy used tho.
14. What got you over the fears of wool being to hot/itchy?
i never had tose fears.
15. Have you found a nighttime wool that you love?
oh yes. i sleep well now
16. Where's your favorite place to buy wool? or do you make your own (if you make your own then I wanna know how you learned to knit or crochet)?
A friend is helping me with knitting. I learned mainly from you tube. I sew most my woolies tho. I love Woollybottoms. Shannon is a dear. I also find used here or on spots.
17. Have you ever had a terrible woolie accident that has scarred you?
When i first tried wool i lanolized the outside. lol it sucked and i hated wool. then someone corrected me and i found wool love again
18. Are you super protective of your wool? Yes and no. I mean it is meant to be worn and used. i would buy them to worry about them. Thats probably why i have a 25$ limit.
19. Have you ever wanted to give up the wool?
look at 17
20. What would you tell a mama to infect them with the woolie virus?
I dont know. i love it. its cute and functional and has a great resale value.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #15
peeko621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. Why do you have the woolie love to begin with? I like them for the cuteness factor and how well they work.
2. How many wool longies/soakers/shorties/skirties do you own? Well, I'm currently switching from winter to summer. But for the majority of winter I had 7 different pairs of longies (although two were interlock and one was fleece).
3. How many of them do you actually use? I usually rotated through them. Although I do have "regular" clothes also.
4. How many do you use in one day? Just one pair unless it gets poop on it.
5. What is your preference (interlock, knit, or recycled) and why? I love the look of knit and use it to "dress up". My interlock is great for daycare. And my recycled is around the house wear.
6. Is caring for wool harder or easier than you thought? I don't find it any harder than anything else I might use. The only downside is the amount of drying time it takes.
7. How often do you wash and lanolize? Usually about once or twice a month.
8. What do you use to lanolize? I use EweNeedit woolie wash from Hyena cart.
9. What do you use to wash? same as above.
10. Do you have a specific wash routine? It depends on how daring I want to be. Usually I fill up my tub with warm water and put in the woolie wash (usually two squirts per item that's going in). I put the woolies in and swish them around. If need be, I spot clean anything with a wool wash bar. Then I leave it for at least 30 minutes (but usually longer because I often forget it's in there. ). After that I will spin it in the spin cycle of my washing machine, and lay it out on racks to dry.
11. Are there any other tips you have for caring for wool? Definitely invest in a rack to dry your clothes if you want more than just one pair. It is definitely worth it!
12. Do you use wool under clothes or as clothes themselves? I use wool as my clothes.
13. How much are you willing to spend on a piece of wool? Don't tell dh, but I've spent up to $85 on a complete outfit. But my usual range is from $30-50 a piece.
14. What got you over the fears of wool being to hot/itchy? My dh actually wears wool to work (he works outside in the summer heat at a museum) and he says it's very breatheable.
15. Have you found a nighttime wool that you love? I actually don't normally use my wool at night.
16. Where's your favorite place to buy wool? or do you make your own (if you make your own then I wanna know how you learned to knit or crochet)?I don't have a set place. I just look around hyena cart and fsot.
17. Have you ever had a terrible woolie accident that has scarred you? Not yet, just keeping my fingers crossed it never happens.
18. Are you super protective of your wool? not really. Although I've learned that dh should not go near it.
19. Have you ever wanted to give up the wool? nope.

Need I say anything???
Old 03-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
camom2007
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm just dipping my toe in wool too. I want to add a question to OP's survey. OP, I hope you don't mind?

If you have a front loader with a wool wash cycle, do you recommend that for knits, interlock, recycled, etc...?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
TLSinNC
Registered Users

My Mood:

This thread is awesome!
Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #18
selinajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When we started using CDs I was very frustrated with the horrible kushies covers that we had. I saw wool mentioned on DS and researched it. I bought 2 aristocrats covers on FSOT and loved them. Then I made some recycled woolies and was hooked.
I just did the count a couple days ago. I think that it came out to 14 longies, 4 shorties, 4 soakers and 6 wraps.
There are 2 pairs of longies that aren't getting much love due to being a tad too small. So I guess we use 26 of them.
Between 2 and 6. Depends on the day, the diapers and my mood.
Recycled b/c I can make it and it is full of colour and fun prints. I can applique it and make it fun. I also love knit and crochet. They are gorgeous!
So much easier. It is very low maintenance.
Once a month or so. No strict schedule though.
I wash in Eucalan, or with a wool wash from Ewe Need It or Blue House Soaps. They contain lanolin. Then I use a woolie spray after washing, also from ENI or Northern Essence.
See above, same as lanolizing. For the night wool, I will wash in dish soap once in a while if it is getting really smelly. Then I rinse fully and then wash in wool wash.
I wash quite a few pieces at once. I have plastic wash basins and will fill three at a time and put them on the counter. I soak the wool and then put it all in the washer to spin out the water. Then I dry it on a gull-wing drying rack.
A sweater shaver is a great investment!
As clothes themselves. We only use wool, acrylic or fleece longies. No cotton pants here.
The most that I have spent is $38USD. That was a lot for me. I make almost all of ours so it is basically free.
I tried it. My son's bum was cool to the touch on a hot summer day. Some wool is itchy, I just don't use that wool.
Thick recycled soaker or wrap, thin recycled longies over top.
16. Where's your favorite place to buy wool? or do you make your own (if you make your own then I wanna know how you learned to knit or crochet)?
I make my own (recycled) and I am just learning how to crochet too. Self taught crochet...There are some great videos on youtube and nexstitch.com that show you how to do the different crochet stitches.
Nope, I've over lanolized and it was sticky and gross, but it wore off.
18. Are you super protective of your wool?
I love it, but am not psychotic about it. Granted, everyone in this house knows that it requires a seperate wash routine.
Nope, never.
Try it and you'll love it. Would you choose plastic pants or cashmere for yourself.....yeah, that's what I thought! Keep your baby comfy! Some pics to help convince you....

NickNaks - Become a Fan on Facebook for news and updates.
Grand Opening coming soon! Use earlybird20 for 20% off until the grand opening bash!
Also on dotCA!

Last edited by selinajean; 03-28-2009 at 11:58 PM.
selinajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #19
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is fun! I love talking about wool, mostly because a lot of people just don't understand how wool (seemingly non-waterproof) can cover a diaper!

The Woolie Survey

It's soft, all natural, breathable, and it doesn't make noise.

2 recylced made by me longies, 1 knit longies, 4 soakers, and 2 snap covers

I use the snap covers less than the soakers, but all of them.

2, sometimes 3

I'm loving the interlock. I like the recyled longies, but for under clothes I like it to be trim. Interlock is nice and trim.

So much easier!

When it begins to smell or gets poop on it. It usually gets poop on it before it begins to smell. Sometimes though it can go a whole month I think, I lose track. I lanolize just about every time I wash. It's already wet, so might as well.

Lansinoh dissolved in hot water.

Eucalan. But when the bottle is done I'm going to try something else for fun.

Fill sink with wash, let item soak for 15 minutes (usually ends up being much longer because I forget about it). Rinse a little, squeeze, then repeat same process with lanolin instead of wash.

It can take a really long time to dry. As in a day or two.

Both.

The most I have spent is about $30. That feels like a lot to me.

Holding it up to my neck. And feeling the yummy goodness of merino interlock. And the wonderful squishiness of a disana pull-on.

The Disana pull-on. I bought it new and slightly felted it. It is so huge and fits over any dipe and is SO SOFT. I love it. We co-sleep so it's like I get to wear it too when DS is next to me all night!

the FSOT

Not at all.
18. Are you super protective of your wool?
Maybe a little. I kind of lurk around when DH is changing diapers, just to be sure he doesn't mess anything up.

Never. I want more and more!

If you are looking for a beautiful, natural cover for your diapers, you must turn to wool! No chemicals, no itchiness, just yummy goodness. I say start with an interlock soaker and you will be hooked!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #20
geauxd0res
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NAK...so I apologize for any typos...

The Woolie Survey

1. Why do you have the woolie love to begin with? I was tempted by a cute Cuddlewool cover by Little Boppers and it's been downhill ever since I still love Thirsties & fleece too though.

2. How many wool longies/soakers/shorties/skirties do you own? 5 longies, 3 soakers, 5 shorties plus one on the needles, & 2 wraps

3. How many of them do you actually use? A couple longies are still big, but other than that most get used sometime within each week.

4. How many do you use in one day? I rotate between 2-3 covers/pants per day but not just wool necessarily.

5. What is your preference (interlock, knit, or recycled) and why? I use interlock more underneath clothes & knit longies/shorties on their own so they each have their use

6. Is caring for wool harder or easier than you thought? Easier...I was very intimidated at first but it's not that hard.

7. How often do you wash and lanolize? Every 2-3 weeks? Or right away for anything that gets really dirty or has poop on it.

8. What do you use to lanolize? Lansinoh in a tube I got from the hospital when DD was born.
9. What do you use to wash? Eucalan liquid or a wool wash bar for dirty spots.

10. Do you have a specific wash routine? Soak in wool wash for 30 minutes (or usually longer when I forget about things). Or if it needs to be lanolized, melt lanolin in the microwave, then add to tepid water, then drop in wool and soak for a while.

11. Are there any other tips you have for caring for wool? Don't put it in the dryer unless you are trying to felt/shrink something (and if you do check it every 5-10 minutes!)

12. Do you use wool under clothes or as clothes themselves? Both, see #5

13. How much are you willing to spend on a piece of wool? Most I've paid for longies is $50. That's about my limit right now.

14. What got you over the fears of wool being to hot/itchy? Never really had that fear I suppose.

15. Have you found a nighttime wool that you love? I use Luxe or WCW soakers under fleece pjs if she wears fitteds at night.

16. Where's your favorite place to buy wool? or do you make your own (if you make your own then I wanna know how you learned to knit or crochet)? I have two Cuddlewool from Little Boppers, two Luxe soakers & one WCW that I love. Other than that most of mine are from FSOT or handmade by DS mamas. I also started knitting recently. I vaguely remember some from grandma long ago. The rest I taught myself with library books & youtube videos ("Knitting Tips By Judy")
17. Have you ever had a terrible woolie accident that has scarred you? No

18. Are you super protective of your wool? A couple sets of longies I am a little more cautious off. The rest of it, not so much. I just have to make sure DH doesn't put it in the diaper pail but most of the time he's pretty good.

19. Have you ever wanted to give up the wool? No, but I rotate with fleece & PUL so it's easy to take a break from wool for a day or two if I need it.

20. What would you tell a mama to infect them with the woolie virus? Start with something affordable from FSOT; it's less intimidating if it's second-hand and you didn't spend a ton.