Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
3Daisies
Registered Users

Your experience with GERD or acid reflux

Our girl cried 4 hours straight yesterday evening. By the time she zonked out I felt like I had been in combat & was defeated. It's exhausting trying to console an inconsolable baby.

So I had thought this is probably colic since it's occuring at it's worst in the evenings, but now I'm wondering if GERD or acid reflux might be the cluprit.

Z has been spitting up more it seems in the last 3 days but this may be normal? Also, she cries and seems to fight the breast but not at every feeding. Mostly in the evenings when she's so fussy.

What I'm curious about is if your baby was diagnosed with GERD, did they cry at every feeding? Did every feeding seem painful? Because if so, GERD isn't what Z has; she cries at the evening feedings mostly. She's fine throughout the day.

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Your experience with GERD or acid reflux

My son was diagnosed with GERD at about 6 weeks. Before that I was sure it was colic. My son's case is also complicated by the fact that he was ventilated for the first 24 hours of life so some of his feeding issues and reflux are secondary to having a tube in his throat and not being able to breastfeed until 48 hours.

But, these are the symptoms he had: spit-up constantly (even hours after eating), large "vomits" after feeding especially if my milk flow was fast. He always sounded congested in his chest, and you could feel it "rattle". He also always seemed to have a stuffy nose and bad breath.

As far as behavior at the breast, he would bob on and off the breast at most feedings, he never seemed comfortable nursing. He fussed a lot at the breast also and cried a lot after feeding. I would say he was definitely worse in the evenings! He also had very poor weight gain and I had a lot of difficulty with my milk supply because of he would be off and on the breast during a feed. He seemed constantly hungry but it would hurt him to eat.

I tried a lot of different positions for feeding and found that lying down to nurse (so he was on his side too) worked well. Also holding him so that he was sitting up facing me and then reclining so that he was pretty much lying on my chest/stomach worked really well. This really helped to slow the milk flow so that he could manage it better.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
3Daisies
Registered Users

Oh, so Z does a lot of those things...bobbing on & off the breast ( but not at every feeding) and spitting up way after a feeding. Funny you mention the stuffy nose because she's always had that and when I mentioned it to our first pedi, said to get the saline drops that it was just becaue they can't blow their nose and gunk gets backed up in there is why it always sounded that way.

She will also sometimes want to nurse, then pull away & cry but I figured it was because she needed burped or i ate something she didn't like..

Anyway, I made an appt & was able to get in today. I hate to see her so inconsolable like what has happened the last week or so and now I'm thinking it's not just colic afterall. If there's meds to help ease her discomfort, well bring 'em on.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
jacobsmommy924
Registered Users
seller

DS was on medication for acid reflux. He was a VERY fussy baby in the beginning. So fussy at times I felt as though I was not enjoying him It made me so sad to see him like that and the lack of sleep was making it even more difficult.

I ended up taking DS off of his medication when he was around 5-6 months old. He wasn't acting very irritable anymore and I was told by the doctor that the medication didn't help with the constand spit up and throw up, it just eased the pain. And honestly, I didn't want him on any medication if he did not have to be.

Once I took him off, he was fine. He was still spitting up constantly (we would go through more than 10 bibs and NUMEROUS receiving blankets a day!). But he was acting happy.

I think the medication did help a little in the beginning with the fussiness. I think as DS grew he was just able to handle it better.

Hope you get this all figured out mama. Everyones situation is different, but I know how emotional and frustrating it can be. You just want your baby to be happy
jacobsmommy924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd has reflux. She would nurse for a minute or two, and then pull of and scream and scream. sometimes she would refuse to eat at all. she glurped and burped a lot, but nothing usually came out of her mouth. she would swallow it back down. She always sounded like her lungs were full of gunk. She also gets the hiccups all the time. She was inconsolable in the evenings especially (reflux is often worse in the evening). I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Just before she was 2 months, I took her in, and the dr gave us a prescription for prevacid. 5 days later, she was a completely different baby! (the meds can take up to 2 weeks to work).
Anyway, it definitely sounds to me like your baby has reflux. It's totally normal for reflux baby's feeding to be erratic and for it to get better/worse throughout the day, and over time. If she does have reflux, it's important to get it under control because the acid can spill into the lungs, and also can damage the esophagus permanently. The meds DO NOT fix the spitting up, they just reduce the acid so that it isn't painful and damaging. My pedi said that many babies grow out of it around 4-6 months, but my dd is just hitting the worst of it, i think.
Hang in there, it WILL get better! I've been in your shoes, and I know exactly how hard it is.

Last edited by The Fancy Pansy; 03-27-2009 at 12:47 PM.
The Fancy Pansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
1sttimemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS has reflux, and unfortunately he's not a member of the vast majority that outgrows it by 6-9 months. In those early days he was definitely worse in the evenings, and because it wasn't treated properly it grew to be horrific all day and all night. He was and is a refluxer that wants to eat, because it puts the fire out, but if he's weighted out of his meds he is PETRIFIED of being burped. I truly believe this is because the ped didn't listen to me and just blew it off as colic when I brought it up initially. DS was 2 1/2 months old when they finally agreed to try the zantac and it was night and day after just a week on the meds. He's still a spitty baby, but he's a happy spitty baby.

I'm not a fan of meds for babies, but with reflux I FIRMLY believe that it is necessary. If you've ever suffered from acid reflux imagine the pain you felt either until you took something or until it went away, then imagine your LO suffering from it. If you haven't ever had it, you're lucky, but take it from me... it's horrible! Babies don't have the coping mechanisms we have for pain. If you think it could be reflux, please talk to your ped about it.
1sttimemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
luvmybubs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am SO sorry to hear about what you are going through. My ds had reflux. At first, I thought he had latch issues. The symptoms are similar to what you describe ... basically a very unhappy baby which is so hard on top of post partum hormones. I almost cry now to think of how frustrating that period of our life was!

We are fortunate to have a pediatric practice that literally wrote a book about Natural Baby Care. We first tried all the homeopathic things, chamomile tea, probiotics, none of that worked. Then onto the drugs. We started with Zantac. It might have helped a little, but my friend told me that her son was on prevacid and I should just try it.

PREVACID changed our baby! He is still on it and he is about 11 months old, but if I miss one dose, he cannot eat and you can tell the stuff is burning his insides. I know its incredibly painful from adults who tell me they have had it.

Our doc said its a really safe drug and it helped us SO much.

Also, I found he was very sensitive to cow milk and even a teeny bit of coffee in my milk. So you might try to figure out if youre baby is sensitive to anything you eat. Actually, this was the first thing we tried. We also went to a chiropractor. Honestly, the only thing that helped was prevacid. (I only hope he gets off it soon because our insurance does not cover a lot of it and its expensive, but worth every dime for my baby's health and happiness ... not to mention my sanity!)

Best of luck to you!!
luvmybubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh! prevacid has a savings program! if you go to their site you can get a card that takes $25 off every time you get the prescription!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I don't like about the prevacid (i don't know about zantac) is that it has nutrasweet in it. I'm sure it's the tiniest amount, but it still bugs me. We are going to try to switch our dd to prilosec (oral suspension), but we'll see how it goes.
And I agree with pp, that if dd misses just one dose, it's awful. Also that she's super sensitive to caffein. I tried going off dairy and it didn't make a difference (that was before the prevacid), but if I accidentally forget to ask for decaf, we have a nightmare for the next 24 hours or so.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
3Daisies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
oh! prevacid has a savings program! if you go to their site you can get a card that takes $25 off every time you get the prescription!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for mentioning this! I will definately check into it since I left the Docs office with a Rx for Prevacid!! Thank heavens since you all are telling me that Prevacid was a lifesavor for you. I'm so glad we will shortly be on the road to happiness again!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
AutumnTrees
Registered Users

My son has reflux but I think we are very lucky because I can help a lot with positioning. He was very fussy at first and began chiropractic care on his second day. He's had the rattly chest, *constant* spitting up, occasional (once per day?) vomitting, doesn't lay down, stuffy nose, grunting, etc. But, as long as he is being held upright he is totally happy. He hasn't had any feeding issues. So, I just hold him..... lol