Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 AM   #1
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
activities for 1 year olds?

what can i do with these boys???? they are 13 months old. most of the time we play in the living room. they have a ton of toys, but i try to keep it under control so it doesn't turn into clutter. last night i let them play in flour on the kitchen table, which was only fun for oh, 30 secs. what do you do with kids this age? im such a dork, i used to nanny for kids their age, and i worked in day care with this age group, but i can't seem to figure out what to do with my own kids!!! help!

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: activities for 1 year olds?

We play with rice or beans in a Rubbermaid Tub with measuring cups. Actually you can put a lot of sensory stuff - cottonballs, oatmeal, water, pudding (very messy, but fun).
Bubbles
Playdoh
Let them use your kitchen spoons, pots and pans to play with for awhile.
Those are all "special" things that we do on rainy days.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The boys here just make a mess. Throw toys and books everywhere. And diapers, wipes, shoes, whatever they can get into. But it's okay with me. It's all fairly easy to pick up at the end of the day and they have a blast exploring and finding new things every day.

Try bubbles. Coloring, use non-toxic crayons just in case they eat them. Watermelon is fun for kids if you can find it. Squishy and fun to play with, good to eat too. Bananas for that matter, strip them down, stick them in the high chair and let them mash for as long as they want.

Both boys here love for me to make block towers, or stack anything really, and knock it down. lol. Anything they can destroy.

Oh, my friend's daughter LOVES to rip apart catalogs! She'll spend hours doing that! She's only like 6 months too.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we spend a lot of time with just playing (rough housing), climbing, pots and pans, that kind of stuff

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
CakeMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
The boys here just make a mess. Throw toys and books everywhere. And diapers, wipes, shoes, whatever they can get into. But it's okay with me. It's all fairly easy to pick up at the end of the day and they have a blast exploring and finding new things every day.

Try bubbles. Coloring, use non-toxic crayons just in case they eat them. Watermelon is fun for kids if you can find it. Squishy and fun to play with, good to eat too. Bananas for that matter, strip them down, stick them in the high chair and let them mash for as long as they want.

Both boys here love for me to make block towers, or stack anything really, and knock it down. lol. Anything they can destroy.

Oh, my friend's daughter LOVES to rip apart catalogs! She'll spend hours doing that! She's only like 6 months too.

this would be us! i find it better to just let him explore and throw things around. that's what he likes to do best. also pudding paint is fun and edible!
CakeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
targhee
Registered Users

They're such explorers at that age, I would give them good ways to explore (so they don't destroy the house ). Try fingerpainting with pudding (definitely non-toxic), filing the kitchen sink and letting them scoop and pour, if you live somewhere warm digging is a good one (sand or dirt), balls! they can roll all over the place, blankets to hide things under (hide themselves under), and books, books, books, books! Hook 'em on books while they're young!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 AM   #7
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

My girls just love to explore and make messes. I've learned to live with it, mostly. Mostly I just let them go at it and clean it up. It's a hard age to entertain.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

mine make forts out of playsilks and chairs then their baby sister will get under there with them and I'll find them reading to her.

but when my oldest was that age, she would garden, play with blocks and knock them down, and a bunch of other things mentioned above. (I was still Active Duty so she was with a babysitter from 0600-1900 ) but her babysitter didn't have any kids and she was GREAT!!!

good luck with finding fun things to do! I think you've got a few good suggestions going on here. I love to let all my kids go outside and dig (living in the desert makes it easy to "locate" places to dig )
Old 12-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #9
little*sprouts*garden
Banned
seller

We use the rubbermaid rice/beans idea too. We like bigger noodles too...uncooked of course....try shells, twists, etc.

I also have made homemade play-dough (you can even "scent" it with koolaid)...its funny....I only buy koolaid to dye dipes or make play-dough

Good 'ole magnet numbers and letters for the fridge...those work good to keep them occupied while you're in the kitchen...however, they DO make me insane sometimes as I can't stand stuff on the front of my fridge!

I don't use pudding but I let my daughter "paint" with yogurt...I'm just kind of a freak about sugar at a young age and I would literally go BONKERS if she started eating all of her pudding "paint" KWIM?

My kids always love to play with laundry baskets!!! (Especially when I have "freshly folded" clothes in them!)...Sooooo just "trick" your kids and throw a bunch of play or dress up clothes in a laundry basket and they will spend HOURS taking them out and putting them back in.

Oh yeah....my ULTIMATE favorite.........this kept my little girl busy for sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long.......wash the tops of baby food jars and put them in a container (like the size of a wipe container or use a small wetbag size) and they LOVE the sound of them....this was a SUPER "toy"

There is always a cardboard box too....that is always fun for little ones (and there isn't much to make a mess with that!! )
little*sprouts*garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #10
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks mamas! im already doing most of the same things you all are, so i must be doing ok! i haven't done the 'texture table' as we used to call it at day care (rice/beans, etc) so i'll try that next. yea, most of the time they just explore the rooms. they are really into putting things into other things. oh, and peek a boo with each other with the drapes. i think i a going to ask my dh or sister for a copy of 'toodler play' for christmas so i can have a few more ideas.