Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:
Postpartum Depression

Is it possible to get postpartum depression 7 months after having your baby? after Abi was born I was so happy. I didn't have baby blues nothing! Now all of a sudden I feel like everything is coming all at once. I'm severely depressed and most of it is towards her. I feel so awful that I have these thoughts in my head. I just want to know if that's normal so long after?

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
sbouvier511
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Postpartum Depression

You can absolutely get Postpartum that late. I did with DD. I was right at 7 months as well. It took me about 2 months to figure out what it was.

Once I went to my midwife and got something to take for it - life got so much better! That's all I would say - it's totally worth it to go talk to your Dr. or MW and let them help if that's what it is.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
SillyEllie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbouvier511 View Post
You can absolutely get Postpartum that late. I did with DD. I was right at 7 months as well. It took me about 2 months to figure out what it was.

Once I went to my midwife and got something to take for it - life got so much better! That's all I would say - it's totally worth it to go talk to your Dr. or MW and let them help if that's what it is.

I just feel so lost because I lost my health insurance and I don't qualify for state assistance so I don't know what to do. I'm sure I need to get on medication but I don't know how about to get on some. I'm pretty sure the health department doesn't prescribe depression meds. Anyone have any ideas or know a website that could help me if I don't have health insurance?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
grace'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel for you! I, too, have ppd. As a psychologist, I'll tell you that it can hit even two years after birth! You can try looking at your local hospitals. One of them in my city offers a free counseling ppd group. I go to it even though I didn't deliver there and they are fine with it! Many hospital websites in their ob/delivery section list the resources in the area for ppd. You can call your ob/midwife to get help, too, or the hospital you delivered at. In my experience, you mention ppd to a health professional and they are all over it! Don't be afraid to tell them exactly how bad the depression is and your fears about how to pay for meds! Put it all out there, even though it's hard. They'll bend over backwards to help you. My regular doctor prescribed my meds and you can talk to them about free samples and programs--many times the drug companies themselves will provide free medication because it gives them a tax break. My sister went to the website of the drug company and got her meds for free for a year that way. There are websites that offer referrals for ppd, too, that may be able to help you find help in your area. Also, you can contact local mental health agencies and ask about a sliding fee scale. I've only worked in OH and MI but in both states there is funding at certain agencies that offer sliding fee scales for free help. You'd get counseling there and medication (often times there is also a fund to pay for medications!). Bottom line: help is out there so hang in there! Feel free to PM me if you want a friendly "ear."

Just some quick things I wanted to mention: Meds for ppd generally take 4 days and you start to feel some effects (which really gives you hope!), 2 weeks and you're really feeling better and a whole month after you start taking them you feel their full effects. They usually start you with a low dose and bump you up about 2 weeks later. The meds get you to a place where you can function again and counseling can be sooooo helpful, too! In my limited time with the ppd group, I've found it so great to talk to other moms feeling the same way--my other friends without ppd just didn't understand.

You are brave to ask for help and it's the best thing you can do for your lo. Actually making the calls and saying I needed help was one of the hardest things I have ever done and I'm a psychologist--I knew how important it was to get help! I know I got help because of my daughter, I didn't really feel like helping myself! This is not your fault and is not a reflection of how much you love your lo. The thoughts you think can freak you out though even though you know that you'd never follow up on them. Hormones, hormones, hormones--blame them! Good news: Within four days of taking meds, I started to feel the connection with my daughter again. I was really off-task before the meds like I had ADHD but now I can actually accomplish my to-do list again. I know it's hard when you're depressed to do all the work to find ppd resources in your area but it'll be worth it! If you try and still can't find help, let me know. I can call in a favor to a friend in OH who can help us track down help for you in FL.
grace'smomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
grace'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another quick thought: Call that health department! They might not prescribe meds, but they'll know who in your area does and who can do it free/cheap.
grace'smomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
jhf
Registered Users
seller

It's absolutely possible, especially if you were exclusively breastfeeding and introduced solids at six months. The hormonal shift that goes with the shift in milk production can absolutely kick you over the edge. That's why it can happen when you wean too. And even if you're not breastfeeding it can just plain happen that late.

While you're working in getting some help with meds, there are some things you can do to try to lessen the symptoms. This page is a good resource: http://www.kellymom.com/ppd/ppd.html

Good on you for being self-aware enough to realize you need help. It's a hard thing to do. When I went through it I had to have my friends and husband intervene - I wasn't able to recognize for myself how bad of a state I was in.
jhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
SillyEllie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you all for the help
Old 04-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
bmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dd is just about 6 months old, and I am just realizing that things aren't right with me. My mom asked me the other day if I was depressed and encouraged me to see a dr. I have an appointment for Monday, and I'm hoping things can start getting better soon. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who got hit late. I was so happy early on and was so on top of things, and now I can't do anything. Yuck.

Thanks to grace'smomma for the extra info on the timeline of the meds working. I'm so looking forward to being back to normal. It's making me nuts that I just can't snap out of it.

Oh, I agree that health professionals take ppd very seriously. I called to make my appointment, and was asked what it was for. I said I have a 6mo and have been feeling depressed and anxious, and she was very quick to say yes, let's set something up right away. Made me feel better. Now I just have to try to get through my appointment without bawling my eyes out!
bmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:06 AM   #9
bugnbear
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh this hits such a sensitive note with me Please dont try to cure yourself without help or meds..do what you can to get help now before you are too far gone..I missed out on my sons first couple of years of life because I was strong enough to get myself out.....I have spent so much time crying thinking about what I missed out on because of the haze.....theres still days that it comes into effect again but I am finally after 5 years able to fight it off

I was suicidal with my ppd and almost took my life at one point, thank goodness I made it through and am now living a regular happy life..... I hope all you mamas with ppd are able to find help and the light at the end of the tunnel
Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
SillyEllie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugnbear View Post
Oh this hits such a sensitive note with me Please dont try to cure yourself without help or meds..do what you can to get help now before you are too far gone..I missed out on my sons first couple of years of life because I was strong enough to get myself out.....I have spent so much time crying thinking about what I missed out on because of the haze.....theres still days that it comes into effect again but I am finally after 5 years able to fight it off

I was suicidal with my ppd and almost took my life at one point, thank goodness I made it through and am now living a regular happy life..... I hope all you mamas with ppd are able to find help and the light at the end of the tunnel
I talked to my husband about it. I told him everything I was feeling and everything I was thinking. I feel alot better that I got it out in the open. I'm still looking for a md I can see and afford. I went to the county health department and they wont help me