Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Febrile Seizures- question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsmum13 View Post
Are you sure you are not talking about either grand mal or petit mal seizures? I have never heard of anyone being medicated from a febrile seizure. There is really no reason to medicate once the temp has come down the risk for seizures is gone.
As far as I knew, they were febrile seizures. He got them due to a fever he had but he had had four of them from the time the ambulance came and got him to the time he got to the hospital. I don't know, maybe they thought they were something else and that was why he was medicated or maybe it was that they didn't know much about those kinds of seizures back then. I don't know but he was medicated for awhile. He did finally grow out of them though and only had one more about a year later and that was it and I don't think he was medicated that time.

Advertisement

My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
*Aimee*
Registered Users
seller

My son had one at around 1.5 years. He had had a fever all day and then it shot up to 106. We took him to the ER because they wanted to find a reason why he had a fever (he had no other sickness symptoms). It turns out he had a double ear infection! I felt horrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATTYBATSMOM View Post
As far as I knew, they were febrile seizures. He got them due to a fever he had but he had had four of them from the time the ambulance came and got him to the time he got to the hospital. I don't know, maybe they thought they were something else and that was why he was medicated or maybe it was that they didn't know much about those kinds of seizures back then. I don't know but he was medicated for awhile. He did finally grow out of them though and only had one more about a year later and that was it and I don't think he was medicated that time.
My understanding from when my son had them was if he had anymore it was serious. Apparently youre only allowed like 1 per sickness or something. So I can see why 4 in such a short time would be so troublesome.

As far as the vaccine thing goes, usually what happens is a child gets a fever in relation to the vaccines (an extremely common reaction) and the sharp rise in the fever from NOT having one brings on the seizure. So, while it isn't the vaccines, it is ya know?

All we were told is if they have on expect them to get them very easily. So now our DO wants us to medicate (tylenol or advil) anything over 101.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #13
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My friend's little boy is unvaxed and has had two. He is also ASD, so he's the exception, not the rule. Kids with ASD are more prone to seizures in general, so it may be that he had the febrile seizure because he is autistic? However, he had the first seizure before the ASD dx, at around 18 months or so? IDK, but his first was from the sharp and quick rise in his temp with an ear infection. In fact, the knew he had the ear infection. I was with her when it happened. We had just left the ped.'s office because he's been grouchy and pulling at his ears. He did have and infection so we left with a script. He had no fever in the office. We left, and 10 minutes down the road, I looked back to check on him and he was seizing. We turned straight around and headed back to children's hospital. His fever was 105 at that point. The second one was a couple of years later. He had been dx'd with ASD at that point and though the seizure was brought on by a fever, they were told that in children with autism, seizures aren't uncommon.

Don't know if any of that helps with your theory regarding vax's and febrile seizures, but he was unvaxxed and had two.

To the original poster, it is caused by the rapid rise in the fever, or from a sustained very high fever. The brain can't handle the signals sometimes for whatever reason and in an order to try and regulate the body's temp, it misfires and causes the seizure.