Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you have to be induced what is the best way?

I am 29 weeks pregnant with my second baby, my first baby was a home water birth. This little guy needs to be born in the hospital, and one that is 3 hours away from our home at that (he has a heart defect, Tetralogy of Fallot). My Dr at the hospital we were be delivery at wants to induce me because of how far we live from the hospital, which is understandable, but I am terrified. He said sometime in the 39th week, but I am pretty sure I can get him to give me until my due date. I am planning to go med free again, they have tubs in all the rooms he said I can use as I wish. What can I do before hand to make it easier? I am taking RRL tablets and drinking RRL tea already, was thinking I'd start EPO at 36 weeks, is that a god idea? And what is the best (least invasive/safest for both baby and I) way to be induced?

Thanks mamas I'm having a really hard time with the change in our plans for this birth, I know the changes are necessary, but I am still such a mess inside and don't know where to even start with researching this.

Advertisement

EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If you have to be induced what is the best way?

I don't KNOW.. but I would assume that the balloon thing would be best.

My logic on that is that it isn't injected into you, well.. okay, technically, yes it is.. lol
but, it's not a drug that is going to affect your labor or your baby like pitocin would.

It's just supposed to make your body believe it's time to start labor, but non-chemically.

I have never had the balloon, but I have friends who have and they were able to walk around (waddle around) a bit, so I would think it would be good for a non-medicated birth as well.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/labor...article_em.htm
Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Urchin
Registered Users
seller

I would start with cervical gel. That's what they used on me and it's all that I needed. They applied it twice, and I walked and walked and walked and within 10 hours of the second application, I had a baby in my arms. I was 38w 4d.

Of course not everyone has that experience, but I would say by all means, try that first before more "extreme" measures.
Urchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was induced at 37 weeks using a foley bulb. For me, they inserted the foley into my cervix, blew it up with saline, and taped the other end real tight to my leg. It was very uncomfortable because every time I moved it forced a contraction. Baby was born med free and without further interventions 6 or 7 hours after foley was inserted. I have heard others say that instead of taping it to their leg, the other end of the foley was filled with saline so it was just heavy and it made for a very gentle and gradual dilation. So I guess there are different ways to do it.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

well, given those 2 stories, I'd ask for gel first probably
Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

depends on if your cervix is thinned and starting to soften and baby is low in your pelvis or not.
You can get your membranes stripped and then take caster oil. You can do a large enema. you can have the foley cath ballon placed in your cervix. or you can get the pill inserted and wait for 12 hours. Or pitocin (wouldn't go that way).
Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you are hoping for med free and using the tub I would avoid the PIT at all cost. Most hospitals require constant monitering with PIT and that makes the tub hard if not impossible. Our last LO was induced by membrane rupture. I was 5cm and very effaced. I was able to use the tub and had her a few short hours later.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

If I were in your situation, my preference would be to do the foley bulb bc it's a mechanical dilator and not something going into your system. They have to be able to get it in to the cervix, so if it's not dilated at all, they'll probably want to do a prostaglandin (either cervadil or cytotec) - you can discuss the options with your provider and find out what their thoughts and recommendations are and why. Each provider has their own preference, and their own reasons for it. Mechanical dilation with a foley, and then AROM sends a lot of women into hard labor quickly, but isn't without risks. So you'd want to talk to the provider and find out the risks/benefits of each and see which sets of risks/benefits are most acceptable/appealing to you. I highly recommend a professional doula if your desire is to do labor without any pain medication. They are experienced in helping women cope with the unique challenges of induced labor and can support you and your partner in navigating through the challenges you may face. :-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had to labors kickstarted with cervidil... one at 28w3d. The other the day before I was due. Both times, baby was out within 12 hours of starting it. The way that was explained to me was that if your body was ready for labor, it would just nudge it along. If your obdy wasn't ready, it wouldn't work (and then progress to something else/pit if needed) ... so personally, I'd go with that. I was able to be up and walking the hallways and then got in the tub for both.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have the same concern, I would ask more questions about the tub if that's a big part of your plan. With the baby's TOF I would think they would want you monitored extremely close, is that possible in the tub?