Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby mix up

I have actually often thought this about my son. He was a c-section baby, born very still and very gray. He never let out a sound and he was rushed off VERY quickly. I was given more meds (not for sure why because I wasn't hysterical or anything) and I slept for 6hrs after the c-section (with my daughter, I didn't sleep at all)
I got to see my son after that and he looked completely different. The pictures of him being taken out of the ER and the pictures of him 6hrs later look like completely different children.
Its really bizarre.

So I've given this a lot of thought since he was around a week old and it all set in how different he seemed.

I decided that I wouldn't want to know. If he turned out somewhere down the line that he's not my biological baby and someone else has that child, I don't care. He is MY child. No one, no test, nothing will ever change that. I would have no desire to see the other baby, that wouldn't be my kid anymore. No matter who's genes he has, Cyrus is mine.

Advertisement

Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drearina View Post
How long are we talking? a day old? A month old? 12 years old? At some point there's a tipping point where biological attachment is negated by environmental nurturing. I wouldn't take a 10 year old out of their home, that's their home! But I would want a relationship with them if they were my bio child.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
mom2~3offspring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I coudn give up any of my babies now. So i would wnt to keep the baby i came home with and try just having a pen realsionship with my bio. It would kill me to lose any of these kids now
mom2~3offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
silver
Registered Users
seller

I would raise the child that I had been raising all along.

Mothers and fathers are defined by the care and love they provide, not by blood. I think children would be massively hurt and and confused if they were sent to a new home.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

This has always been on the back of my mind. I didn't see DS until he was 6 hours old. I didn't even know my own son in the NICU, I had to have the nurses point him out to me

I seriously can't think of this subject.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #16
~Ryleigh's_Momma~
Banned

My Mood:

I don't even want to think about this happening. I can't even tell you'd what I'd do. I would definitely want to keep BOTH children but that is not fair to the other parents, nor the child (depending on the age)

I do have to say, I work in L&D, and I don't see ANY way that this could ever happen at my hospital because of the measures we have in place.

Even if a baby needs to be resuscitated after birth, it is done by a team in the labor room or OR. Both baby and mom get banded before baby ever leaves the room. Baby isn't taken to NICU until stabilizing measures are done right then and there, and even IF baby was taken to NICU w/o a band, he'd be the only one in there w/o one, and the same nurses that were there for his birth would go with him into the nicu.

Any time a baby is taken out of the mom's room, the band is matched with the mother's by us before we leave the room. I often complain about it, because it's a PITA to have a baby in the nursery, get it calmed down, swaddled up, and then have to unswaddle the baby once you get to mom's room to check the band (I often joke that I wish we used ear tags instead of hand/foot tags, lol)
The bands are checked and verified again before hospital discharge.

I DO sometimes see situations where babies could be taken to the wrong room (for instance, mom's room was moved, and the original room is still listed on the crib card) but that would be fixed when the nurse checks the bands. Even if nurse didn't check the bands at one of those times, checking the bands before hospital discharge is a HUGE part of the d/c process (you have to sign off in like 5 diff places) and it would be caught at that time.
I also see situations where a baby might get a wrong procedure/shot/bottle, etc, because when the nursery is full and it's really crazy sometimes people don't check the chart (grr) but a complete baby switch-- Never.

I just don't see any way that this could happen, and I shake my head and wonder what the heck the other hospitals are doing when I read of those stories.
~Ryleigh's_Momma~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
fourstac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my baby at home so this thread is not possible for me...

Thank goodness!!! It brings tears to my eyes just imagining how hard that would be. YIKES!

I have to go now.
Stacy: semi-crunchy/silly wife to Alex WAHM to home-waterbirthed perfect DD, Parker, (11/07) and new DS (10/10) Co-sleeping, non-vaxing, BFing, APing, coffee-drinking, deal-obsessing, dog-loving 100% Mom.
www.facebook.com/parkerbuttonspage Fresh Sewn goodness-handcrafted bags
fourstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #18
Mom2KG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd want both babies. Keep the mix up baby, kidnap the bio baby and head somewhere hot, sunny and south of the border.
Mom2KG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
rvela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2KG View Post
I'd want both babies. Keep the mix up baby, kidnap the bio baby and head somewhere hot, sunny and south of the border.
rvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:15 PM   #20
katiematie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thinking about being in that situation literally makes me sick to my stomach as i type this. Its something i could never ever in a million years even begin to imagine the outcome. I would want both, but that is unrealistic i know. However, my blood or not my blood, the child i raised is mine regardless and there is no way i could give him up if i found out he wasnt mine. At the same time, i would want to raise my biological child as well...like i said, its gut wrenching to even think about :-(
Katie, single mama, BFing, CSing, non-vaxing, CDing, vegetarian mommy to Elijah-7, Aubriana-6, Rowin-4 and baby #4 due August 2012.
katiematie is offline   Reply With Quote