Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #21
ttmomma
Registered Users
Formerly: ree**23
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby mix up

hmmm...interesting question. Are we're talking a few weeks/months, or more than a year or so?? I think that would factor in what I'd do. Either way to think about this, I just don't know how I could ever let go or accept that my bio child was somewhere out there being (hopefully) loved and cared for by parents other than me. On the other hand, I can't imagine having to give up a baby/child I raised if I found out he/she wasn't biologicial mine. Scary to even think about this.

Advertisement

Recovering CD addict & momma to DS, who refuses to wear CD's no matter how fluffy
ttmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #22
mbsr76
Registered Users

Oh, goodness. There's no way I could give up the children I am raising, regardless of whether there was a mixup or not. My son is 2 and my daughter is 7 weeks and I am completely and utterly attached to and in love with both of them and that wouldn't change if I found out they had been mixed up.
mbsr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #23
KatiesMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

It would be terrible for all involved.

I've thought of this because the nurse took dd for something (can't remember what) and brought her back without her id bracelet. It must have fallen off. And when she came back into the room with her the alarm went off. They said it was just the battery in her alarm died but... it crossed my mind, lol.

But DD looks JUST like MIL as a baby so I'm pretty sure we have the right one.

Just to explain: At the hospital I delivered at the babies have a lojack type system around their ankle. If a baby leaves the room without checking with a nurse first the alarm on the room goes off signaling police to come and all the external doors to the maternity ward go on lock down. And of course they can track the location of the baby as long as she still has her ankle alarm on.

There will be no baby napping from that hospital, lol.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #24
NataschaN
Banned

I don't know.

After all I would have loved and riased that child. Why would it chance my love for the child to find out that it was not my bio child?
Of course I would be outraged about the mix-up, but I don't know what I would do further. This is a hard question to answer...
NataschaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #25
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Because of a deep yet unrealistic fear of this happening that I have always had I never ever ever let my babies out of my sight for one millisecond after I have them. DS#1 was an emergency c/s and DH and I had already discussed before hand that in this case he would not leave our son's side until I was fully alert and had him in my arms. There was once that a nurse came in when I was alone with him and tried to physically take him from me saying that it was policy that he must go to the nursery if I did not have help in the room due to my c/s... I quickly let her know that I would press assault charges on her if she laid one finger on my child! There was never a second after the birth of any of our 3 sons that DH or I was not with them.
I didn't even allow the nurses to bathe or weigh them... I did it myself. I don't believe a single nurse even picked Aiden up at all in the hospital. My doc handed him to me immediately after he was born and I handled everything from there DH said that I was the one the nurses would be talking about every shift change [handing over the chart] "Here's your nutcase tonight!"
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:04 PM   #26
~Ryleigh's_Momma~
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatiesMom View Post
It would be terrible for all involved.

I've thought of this because the nurse took dd for something (can't remember what) and brought her back without her id bracelet. It must have fallen off. And when she came back into the room with her the alarm went off. They said it was just the battery in her alarm died but... it crossed my mind, lol.

But DD looks JUST like MIL as a baby so I'm pretty sure we have the right one.

Just to explain: At the hospital I delivered at the babies have a lojack type system around their ankle. If a baby leaves the room without checking with a nurse first the alarm on the room goes off signaling police to come and all the external doors to the maternity ward go on lock down. And of course they can track the location of the baby as long as she still has her ankle alarm on.

There will be no baby napping from that hospital, lol.
At our hospital we actually put 2 bands on baby- one on the ankle and the wrist. The odds are slim to none that BOTH would fall off 2 babies and have them get switched before anyone notice the bands are gone. Also, the bands usually loosen on the 2nd or 3rd day after birth because of weight loss, and most of us will tighten up the bands when that happens (the bands cannot be loosened but they can be tightened)
~Ryleigh's_Momma~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #27
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
Formerly: Beth's_Mommy
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaliff View Post
I'd probably want to keep both. I can't fathom going through that.
This is exactly what I was thinking, even though I know that wouldn't work out. I couldn't imagine going through that situation.

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4

I_am_Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #28
Jubilee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This would be so traumatic for mama and babies...but I bet if it was only a few days after the switch, the babies would be relieved to get their biological mamas back b/c they would still recognize their smell and sound

After several weeks, it would get extremely difficult to give the wrong baby up...

After several months, I would definitely want to keep the baby I had raised and just keep in touch with the biological child

Such a tough question! The sad part is I bet by law you would have to give the baby you had raised up....that would be so devastating. I think about my relationship with my 14m old and it makes me sick to think about giving her up for a strange baby.

Last edited by Jubilee; 04-01-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #29
LambyPants
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our hospital has electronic bands with all the information recorded in them along with the plastic-y name tags, an alarm sounds if they are ever taken outside of the L&D doors. They are placed on the wrists and ankle after birth in front of the parents. They also keep armed security guards at the elevator and stairway points. anyone going out with a baby better have discharge papers and be in a wheelchair. They check i.d. against the parent names on hospital birth certificate, too
Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #30
rileykidmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know this is kind of a weird reply, but my dd couldn't have been mixed up in the hospital because of all of the "differences" she was diagnosed with both in utero and at birth. Her problems are really rare (1 in 300,000 births), so the likelyhood that another baby was born on the same day in the same hospital with the same condition is almost unfathomable.