Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Bobbysmamak8
Registered Users
seller

Location: Georgia, but half of my heart is stationed in Louisiana!
My Mood:
Non-vaxing military mamas? (& GA moms)

Can you get away with it?
Our old post used to schedule their immunization appointments for me and i got child services called on me because my older ds was 2 months late for his shots, but the base we receive care from now is really lax about it, they don't seem to care or even notice, so i've succeeded in avoiding Tommy's 12 and 18 mo shots.
Is this gonna catch up with me at some point? Am i going to have to deal with some kind of legal repercussions because i'm trying to keep my kids safe?
I know the military, they probably paid bottom-dollar for the cheapest, crappiest mass-produced vaccines they could get their hands on. It terrifies me that i allowed them to EVER inject my babies with anything now that i'm more well-informed about the possible harm they can do.
Also, any GA non-vaxing moms...how did you get around school registration?
Is GA one of the states that makes the exemption process more difficult?
Thanks to anyone who can give me advice about this!
~k8

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Mouse
Registered Users

Re: Non-vaxing military mamas? (& GA moms)

We're military, however we are in NC. The military peds I've had to deal with have all been horrible, however, I stood my ground and have made it very clear that we are not going to vax DD, esp by military docs! I have had cps come out and talk about it, I have had peds call and even yell at me, saying how I'm going to kill my kid this way. However, it just takes LOTS of firm handling as so to speak. We have a legit medical reason against vaxing, though even if we didn't, I would not get them all. The best thing you can do is do LOTS of research, and be prepared to argue your point until the docs are blue in the face and don't care anymore. If you can come back with a good answer everytime, they will stop asking.

As far as school, a religious exemption is the best way to go where I live. We will be getting one for DD when she starts school. My brothers and I both had to have the religious exemptions for school, as it was the only way we could attend. Even having an auto immune disorder wasn't enough to be exempt, but darn it if relgion wasn't. Lol.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Bobbysmamak8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Vaccines have always made me nervous but since i've been to thinktwice.com and other similar sites i am completely freaked out! There is no way i'm going to put that stuff in their bodies, especially MMR- i read that in a recent measles outbreak, 95% of sufferers had been vaccinated against the disease, so not only is the vaccine potentially harmful, it's ineffective!!
I don't want to have to lie and argue and everything but i am determined to protect my children. I wonder if there's any way to purchase vaccines that have been tested for quality and are known to have fewer reactions? It seems like any choice is the wrong choice, i am so confused and afraid for my children.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Lisa_delo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are a Navy family. We chose not to vax this child, We didn't know better with the older two. The last vax they both received was the 2 the 2 years one.

When my eldest turned 4 he was supposed to get more shots and we were being seen by his pediatrician on base who was a older man, I'd say 60 odd. He told us not to bother getting them done if he wasn't going to be going to Pre-K or Kindergarten, he said they stick too much junk in them these days. At the time I didn't think anything of it. We just didn't get him done.

When I got pregnant again I was a lot more informed and decided we would do delayed selective vaccines but we would wait until he was at last 2 if not older. For the most part base have been great, we have had the 'Why's and make sure you know what your doing' But that has been it, everyone has been ok about it.

We are in New England too, which i know is still very backwards with regards to vaccines and standard child care lol

We took our kids to the clinic on base on Monday so we could get their health certificate filled out for a private school we have got them into. The nurse was like " they are not up to date on shots" They don;t need them I told her. They can't go to public school with out them. Good job they aren't going then.

Our pediatrician let me into a secret, turns out they don't even have to be up- -to-date to go the Pre-K.

They are going to a Christian Academy so we just turned the shots down for religious reasons and everyone was great about it.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Hey I am a GA mom and I just enrolled my DS in public pre-k with a religious exemption forum. They had NO problems.

Look here:
http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/georgia.htm
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

BTW- where in GA are you located?
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
nethridge
Registered Users
seller

We were stationed in GA when DS was first born. I would never let me DS go to an on base provider...Never. We used an off base provider that accepted tricare, used a state vax exemption that I had notarized at the legal office on base, and took it to them.

The military and tricare never said anything about it.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Not in GA, but military (Marine Corps). We don't do vaxes, or even well-baby checkups. (Don't get me started on taking a perfectly healthy baby into a waiting room full of snot-slinging toddlers who can't keep their hands to themselves!) We've never had a single problem. DS went to the Naval Hospital twice last year; once for a sprained ankle and once for strep throat, and both times when they asked about his vaxes and I said "we don't vaccinate" they didn't even bat an eye. Just nodded and went on.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm also in GA and registered my kids no problem with a religious exemption, I just filled it out and had it notarized. Easy peasy and no one even batted an eye at it.
I'll be doing it again in a few years when the baby is old enough for school.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
Bobbysmamak8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in Warner Robins
Thanks a lot Mamas, you just made me feel a lot more reassured about starting this journey. There is no way i could vaccinate my kids with a clear conscience now, if anything happened i'd never forgive myself because i KNOW the risks. Now i just have to talk to their dad and get him to understand why this is the best decision for us.