Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dumbo -- sensitive preschooler! yours?

DH has been telling DD about Dumbo, so today we rented and watched it for her third birthday. Despite our watching with her and explaining (putting the best faces on things) and making cheerful comments, she broke out wailing when Dumbo and his mama were separated and sad!

We like the fact that she's empathetic, but since I have clinical depression and anxiety, we worry about that..... (DH says, "It's okay that good country songs make you weepy, but BAD ones?") She's also scared of escalators, elevators, tall slide ladders.... Would/did your preschooler cry at Dumbo?

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dumbo -- sensitive preschooler! yours?

We have a very sensitive 3 year old boy. It's kind of annoying right now, but I'm sure it will be a good thing later on in life. Mine has never seen Dumbo, but many Disney movies are too much for him. I try to stick to the PBS and Noggin type shows/movies still.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 03-31-2009 at 11:22 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Yup. There was an episode of BARNEY that was too much for my dd as a toddler Dumbo was out of the question. Thomas the Train too- the trains are often scowling and nasty to each other. There was even a commercial for a grocery store with this little animated guy that bounced across the screen that would send her screaming! PBS kids was about all we could watch until she was around 4-5. I think she started understanding more at that point and could see why things happened, that some things that looked scary were not, etc. It's crazy b/c, my almost 3 yr old son is nothing like that- he loves Gremlins and is not scared at all.

Oh, and she had to go to childcare when she was 3 and would crawl under the table and cover her ears when the kids got loud. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it now!

She is 8 now, very smart, and not at all anxious. It took her until this year (2nd grade- she went to private 4k, public 5k, homeschooled 1st) to really come out socially, but she is doing great!

Last edited by Nanner99; 04-01-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Nanner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Husky359
Registered Users

I just wanted to say Dumbo really scared me when I was a kid! Sorry, this is probably off topic. But the drunk part or whatever it is really freaked me out. ;-)
Husky359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Starr View Post
DH has been telling DD about Dumbo, so today we rented and watched it for her third birthday. Despite our watching with her and explaining (putting the best faces on things) and making cheerful comments, she broke out wailing when Dumbo and his mama were separated and sad!

We like the fact that she's empathetic, but since I have clinical depression and anxiety, we worry about that..... (DH says, "It's okay that good country songs make you weepy, but BAD ones?") She's also scared of escalators, elevators, tall slide ladders.... Would/did your preschooler cry at Dumbo?

Nope. She is very sensitive though. Are the things your LO scared of things that you have increased anxiety about as well?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
angelmama1209
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got rid of Dumbo because I didn't like a lot of the behavior it portrayed, but DD has recently started bawling during Fox and Hound when the lady takes Tod to the preserve and leaves him. Totally breaks my heart.
Shanna - married to Joshua (12/9/00), mommy to Princess Hailey (4/27/05), our Sweet Imp Ashlyn (11/3/07), Our Crazy Head Curly Top Alexa :wave2:(6/3/09), Sassy Little Juliet (3/2/12) and new baby Tristan (1/10/14)!
angelmama1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky359 View Post
I just wanted to say Dumbo really scared me when I was a kid! Sorry, this is probably off topic. But the drunk part or whatever it is really freaked me out. ;-)
Definitely! We skipped right over that part!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom92905 View Post
Nope. She is very sensitive though. Are the things your LO scared of things that you have increased anxiety about as well?
No. Mine is social anxiety, mostly -- and fairly well under control right now, although I still would rather have online conversations than go to parties <g>. She does have a little of that personality too -- gets silent around people she doesn't see often, edges closer to me and blinks balefully at aunts and uncles if asked for a hug.... and of course she has an extroverted cousin who will go to anyone, with a smile!

Last edited by S Starr; 04-01-2009 at 10:02 AM.
S Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

I also cried at dumbo and the wizard of oz and all kinds of movies ... I was probably about kindergarten age. I was also terrified of escalators for a LONG time, I still get nervous on them lol...
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

I also have a sensitive little guy

Cries and gets scared at certain shows or characters; we have to be very careful about what we let him watch.

ETA: escalators always scared me as a kid
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote