Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

need help...poop/gas question

DD is now on Alimentum formula. Did great the first couple days now we are back to having issues.
Please give suggestions for helping alleviate her gas and to get her pooping.
We have given her milk of magnesia (don't like this) for the constipation and mylicon and gripe water for gas.
I am looking for ANY suggestions (the more natural the better)

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: need help...poop/gas question

When we put DD on Alimentum it took about a week for everything to get lined out. I would stick with the Mylicon for gas and give it a day or two on the poo and see if things regulate.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, give it some time. Switching formulas is a big adjustment for little tummies. That is why they tell you to find one and stick with it. Just sometimes it take awhile to find the one that works.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
chrissyb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is she on allimentum for allergy or other? If its not a milk allergy you might consider trying Enfamil Gentlease. We tried switching dd to Nutramagen (same as allimentum) when we were questioning a milk allergy. The ped tested her stool for blood and it was neg (indicating no allergy). But she is definatly sensitive to milk (noticed with nursing). The nutramagen made her MISERABLE. gassy, really uncomfortable after eating. But the gentlease seems to keep her comfy. She also has terrible reflux. Anyway, good luck.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
hpalmatier
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Enfamil Gentlease was the only thing that worked with my DS for a while and now is on regular formula. Babies do not have to poop everyday, my Ped. told me when I was concerned about my son. She said every 2-3 days is ok. Good Luck!!
hpalmatier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

we tried lactose free from day 2 up til last week and then the dr. changed to alimentim because of: constipation, diarehea, congestion every time she eats, spitting up so hard the formula shoots through her nose and causes her to stop breathing and turn blue, a rash, very gassy, fussy.
She is going to be getting an upper GI x-ray to see if we can find a cause
Old 04-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

you can try some chamomile tea - very diluted. We did about 1 tsp tea in 1 - 2 oz. water.
you could also do some physical stimulation like pedaling legs and massaging the abdomen.

GL, hope it resolves quickly
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
janel5
Registered Users

The post doula at my birth center recommends acidophiles from a health food store to help regulate.

Janel
janel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
chrissyb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom92905 View Post
we tried lactose free from day 2 up til last week and then the dr. changed to alimentim because of: constipation, diarehea, congestion every time she eats, spitting up so hard the formula shoots through her nose and causes her to stop breathing and turn blue, a rash, very gassy, fussy.
She is going to be getting an upper GI x-ray to see if we can find a cause
Did she have bloody stools? From what I understand bloody stools are the biggest sign of a milk protein allergy (you ped can do a simple test called hemoccult if you didn't see blood). A milk allergy is completely differant from lactose intolerace. True lactose intolerance is very rare and I believe that can be checked for in a blood test. Your dd's sympyoms sound a lot like my dds when she was diagnosed with reflux. The spitting up causes the burn and irritates the mucous membranes in the nose causing congestion. Have you trialed a reflux med to see if it helps? And I would still say try the gentlease. It is differant from the similac sensitive. Your poor lo sounds a lot like mine and the gentlease works the best for us. And the constipation and diarrhea could very well just be from so manr formula switches. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wanted to add that DD ahd to do Alimentum until about 6 months old and we switched to Gentlese with no problem. I think her preemie yummy just needed a little time to catch up. Is your LO still having trouble?