Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

why have kids????

While picking up DD1 from DC yesterday there was a mom picking up her 3 kids. She is pregnant and about to give birth anyday. She said that she doesn't want to have this baby until AFTER April 9th as she has to re-certify at that time. She is open that she recieves gov't assistance for childcare. When I asked what one had to do with another she indicated that if she has the baby before she recertifies that the other 3 kids would have to stay home with her since she wouldn't be working and she didn't want them all home because she doesn't want to deal with them all (she didn't say couldn't...she said didn't want to). If she has the baby after that time the kids will be approved for daycare during that time.
I don't get it if you don't want to deal with your already existing children why have another?

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: why have kids????

Probably didn't mean to have them.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are lots of people out there like this. They either didn't intend on having children (or this many) or they wanted the children but don't actually want the parenting responsibility kwim? It's sad. I hope she has the baby before the time. Why should the city be paying for daycare for her when she is home? It's infuriating how people "use" the system.

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I absolutely am not defending parents like that, BUT, if she realyl doesn't "like" having the kids at home with her all day, maybe it is best they go to a daycare and give mom time away. Definitely not the best situation when mom is very stressed with 4 children, kwim? Yeah, she probably shoud quit having kids if she is going to be that way, but they are already here and at least they are being cared for instead of abused or neglected because mom can't handle it all.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

It bugs me too.

As a daycare provider, it also offends me. Sometimes I feel like the dumping ground.

I have one family that drops the kids off at the butt crack of dawn (the second I am open) even though they don't go to work until 10:00 or 11:00.. "because they woke up" She doesn't do their hair, and the toddler gets thrown in the door with last night's clothes on, sometimes last night's diaper, and STARVING. I don't give them breakfast until 8:00... so she follows me around screaming at me. Mom drives 10 miles to drop them off, then 10 miles back up the hill, then later she drives 10 miles back, and another 15 East to go to work.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
nethridge
Registered Users
seller

That is just wrong...seriously.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom92905 View Post
While picking up DD1 from DC yesterday there was a mom picking up her 3 kids. She is pregnant and about to give birth anyday. She said that she doesn't want to have this baby until AFTER April 9th as she has to re-certify at that time. She is open that she recieves gov't assistance for childcare. When I asked what one had to do with another she indicated that if she has the baby before she recertifies that the other 3 kids would have to stay home with her since she wouldn't be working and she didn't want them all home because she doesn't want to deal with them all (she didn't say couldn't...she said didn't want to). If she has the baby after that time the kids will be approved for daycare during that time.
I don't get it if you don't want to deal with your already existing children why have another?
Are you sure you're not misunderstanding her?

I can see wanting to have the kids in daycare when you have a newborn at home for the first few weeks at least. That way mom can nap when new baby naps without having to worry about entertaining, feeding and otherwise caring for the other kids. I know for myself I can't go too long being too short on sleep or I get hideous debilitating migraines for which I have to take drugs that are not conducive to breastfeeding, so sleeping is a big deal for me. Those first few weeks can be hard enough without having to care for and entertain other children during the day too.

Just offering another interpretation.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote