Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

Question Baby kicks legs before getting tired?

I don't know if this is normal or not, but just before DS gets tired and wants to go to sleep, he goes through a period of about an hour where he kicks his legs furiously. I've started putting him in his jumper so that he can get it out of his system, then he starts rubbing his eyes and is quite content to nurse and go to sleep. I've noticed that when he wakes up in the morning he also kicks his legs a lot when he first wakes up and sometimes when he's falling asleep he still has what looks like that falling reflex but only in his legs.

I don't even know if it's possible for babies to have restless leg syndrome but is this normal and I'm just over reacting??

Advertisement

Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
Re: Baby kicks legs before getting tired?

Sounds like it's maybe his way of trying to stay awake (or help himself awake when he wakes up). Other than that, IDK.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I personally think you are over reacting. There is nothing that you mentioned that is abnormal to me. He is probably just getting out his energy and discovering what all he can do with his body. As long as he is happy and healthy in every other way, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS2 does this. His legs are almost always kicking or twitching. While he nurses and unwinds, his top leg has to fidget for a bit before he passes out. DD did not do this and DS1 had to be held tight to keep the movement down.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Liddle1
Registered Users

me too!! I have to literally pin him down to nurse him at night to get him to fall asleep, otherwise it's kicking and arm flailing like crazy!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 AM   #6
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jonathan does that, or wiggles and bounces to stay awake... the child is afraid he will miss something if his eyes close for one second. LOL

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds likes to press his legs against something (usually me) and stretches out before going to sleep.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, my son is like that too! He kicks his legs and rolls over and tries to escape (right off the foot of the bed) every time we lay down to nurse/go to bed. Its his way of fighting sleep. My oldest has to have his feet on me or DH (or something!) to go to sleep. I think its kinda cute
Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Liddle1
Registered Users

he's starting to do that with the feet at night too, has to have them touching me. which is fine except that when he starts waking up at night he kicks me :P
Old 04-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

my dd does a bunch of silly things to keep herself awake. When she was a baby she would either windmill her arms or kick her legs like you are describing. She just did not want to miss out on the world around her by sleeping...lol Now she is about 15 months old and she puts her finger on her eyeball and squishes it around when she wants to stay awake...she giggles cuz it totally grosses me out and I kind of freak out and try to get her to quit...now it is a game I am sure. lol
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote