Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
HobbyHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mommytimestwo
seller

Febrile Seizures- question....

not sure if thats how it is spelled. DD (16mos) had one this weekend. She had been hot and tired that evening, and then she had one around bedtime. That was the first, hopefully the last one we have ever dealt with. I had never even heard of them.
so since it is fever induced, my question is= do they have one because they have a high fever or do they get the high fever all of a sudden because they are going to have one? kind of a tricky question i know, but I am driving myself crazy checking her for a temp every hour or so.
anyone ever deal with these? any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

HobbyHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Kita
Registered Users
seller

Re: Febrile Seizures- question....

I'm pretty sure it's the fever that causes the seizure, but ya know--in this case, I'd call your doctor to get some real answers and assurances.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Jillarin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The seizure is caused by the rapid cooling/heating. You know how you feel really hot one minute and freezing the next? We have experienced it and although it looks terrible, there is nothing wrong with it and it won't hurt her/him.
Jillarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
spotsmum13
Registered Users

My Mood:

it's not just a fever it can also be overheating. My dd had one when she was about 4 months old because I had over dressed her on a warm fall day. She is 7 and (knock on wood) has never had one again. I would check with the doc, but really if she doesn't have a history of seizures, she should be fine.
They have one because of being over heated usually by a fever. No they don't get a fever because they are going to have one. They can also have one if you use a alcohol bath to lower the fever because it lowers it too quickly causing a drastic change.
If she seems to be feeling better I wouldn't be checking her temp. If she was going to have another one there is no way to prevent it anyways.
living in Mummy to DD #1 born Aug 21, 2001 (9years) DD#2 born still Aug 24, 2007, and due 09/09/2011
spotsmum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

They usually come as a result of a high temperature. Also, there are some studies that say that kids born to moms who are prone to migraines. From talking to other parents, I've noticed a trend where most of the kids who have had seizures have also had vaccinations but that's what I've noticed so far, not sure if that is an actual relationship or not. But I do wonder if vaccinations make it harder for the brain to deal with rapid changes in body temperature especially since they were not all that common until later in the 90's. My nephew had one in 91 and again in 92. He was 10 months old when he got the first one. I was babysitting him and it scared me half to death (I wasn't even 11 yet). They didn't know anything about them then and had my nephew sedated for a week trying to figure out what caused them. When he came out of it, he had five teeth. They had him on anti-seizure meds for the longest time which killed his appetite. He grew out of them though by the time he was two or so. And yes, he was vaccinated.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
spotsmum13
Registered Users

My Mood:

I really don't think this is a debate over vaxxing or not. But I also don't think it has anything to do with having a child vaxxed. Febrile seizures have happened for years, and vaxxing your child has been done for longer than the late 90's. Especially since my mother who was born in the 50's was vaxxed because she has the mark on her arm.
If you took your child to the hospital after it happened I am sure they would have checked your LO over.
living in Mummy to DD #1 born Aug 21, 2001 (9years) DD#2 born still Aug 24, 2007, and due 09/09/2011
Old 04-01-2009, 05:49 AM   #7
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsmum13 View Post
I really don't think this is a debate over vaxxing or not. But I also don't think it has anything to do with having a child vaxxed. Febrile seizures have happened for years, and vaxxing your child has been done for longer than the late 90's. Especially since my mother who was born in the 50's was vaxxed because she has the mark on her arm.
If you took your child to the hospital after it happened I am sure they would have checked your LO over.
Not looking to start a debate, all I was saying was that of the parents I have talked to, the ones who have had little ones have those kind of seizures were also kids who were vaxed. I didn't even think about the relationship until I had talked to one parent whose son had them but none of the other kids did and the other kids either had fewer vaccinations or not vaccinations at all. Also, since the 1990's a lot of things with vaccinations have changed including the number of them as well as when some of them were given. I just think it is something that parents should keep in mind, that's all.

If there are any parents who have had children who were not vaxed but have had febrile seizures, I'd love to know because again, this is only a theory I have developed talking to other parents, I really am not sure if this is actually the case or not. I also mentioned that children born to moms who are prone to migraines are also prone to febrile seizures and this was the case for my nephew as his mom has HUGE issues with migraine headaches. Now this is a theory I have read about in articles online but it's also not one that has been proven for all cases.

I'm not entirely against vaccinations myself but I do think the one size fits all deal with them needs to be changed and I think too many vaccinations are given too soon. Like any other drug out there, there are side effects and there are those who are more prone to those side effects than others. Doctors need to help parents make a better choice by giving parents ALL of the information they need to make that choice. But that's all I'm going to say on that as you are right, this is not a debate on vaccinations but I did mention that as a possible reason for the mother to consider.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
kalika44
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest and my youngest both have had a febrile seizure. The oldest at the time was fully vaccinated, the youngest has never had a single vaccine. No history of migraines for me either. Oldest had the flu when she had hers. The youngest just a fever from an ear infection that caused hers. All the doc's say its when the temp gets too high too fast. Oldest had a fever of 102.5 and we were in the ER waiting room in the middle of dec (living in PA at the time) when hers happened. During the seizure temp went to 105. All the docs said that febrile seizures are hereditary. My brother had one. Now 2/4 of mine had them. So far no one else in the family has had any. Both were about the same age though, 1.5-ish.

So yes, my completely unvaccinated dd had a febrile seizure last spring.

Last edited by kalika44; 04-01-2009 at 06:27 AM.
kalika44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalika44 View Post
My oldest and my youngest both have had a febrile seizure. The oldest at the time was fully vaccinated, the youngest has never had a single vaccine. No history of migraines for me either. Oldest had the flu when she had hers. The youngest just a fever from an ear infection that caused hers. All the doc's say its when the temp gets too high too fast. Oldest had a fever of 102.5 and we were in the ER waiting room in the middle of dec (living in PA at the time) when hers happened. During the seizure temp went to 105. All the docs said that febrile seizures are hereditary. My brother had one. Now 2/4 of mine had them. So far no one else in the family has had any. Both were about the same age though, 1.5-ish.

So yes, my completely unvaccinated dd had a febrile seizure last spring.
Good to know, as I said, it was a theory of mine just from what I had seen so far with parents and something that was seen in one family. As far as we know, there is no history of febrile seizures with my nephew's family, not on his mom or his dad's end so not sure where they came from but with the migraine thing with his mom, there may be a link there along with, POSSIBLY, vaccinations. But really, who knows what triggers the things that are triggered in the brain?

What year did your brother have them? I know when my nephew had them in 1991, they really went all out as far as the treatment of them, as I said, he was on anti-seizure meds, phenobarb, I believe and he had no appetite for YEARS due to it. Nowadays, they don't seem to worry about them at all. I'm just glad my daughter never had them, it was definitely one concern I had with her when she was little.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
spotsmum13
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATTYBATSMOM View Post

What year did your brother have them? I know when my nephew had them in 1991, they really went all out as far as the treatment of them, as I said, he was on anti-seizure meds, phenobarb, I believe and he had no appetite for YEARS due to it. Nowadays, they don't seem to worry about them at all. I'm just glad my daughter never had them, it was definitely one concern I had with her when she was little.
Are you sure you are not talking about either grand mal or petit mal seizures? I have never heard of anyone being medicated from a febrile seizure. There is really no reason to medicate once the temp has come down the risk for seizures is gone.