Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
argecash
Registered Users

Shoes for 1 Year Old?

I need suggestions. Our pediatrician said the Robeez type shoes are not good for the outdoors because they don't have any traction on the soles. Are Pedipeds good? She said they need rubber on the sole.

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Shoes for 1 Year Old?

Robeez does make a tredz version that has a thin rubberized sole for outdoor use.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I bought two pairs of Pedoodles for my DD, who is 13 months. She loves them and they have TONS of traction! I highly recommend them. I also recommend looking for shoes at Marshalls. They've got a decent selection of toddler name-brand shoes and a great price (I don't think I've seen any over $15). Good luck!
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My youngest has a pair of the Robeez Tredz and loves them. They work great outside because while they are still very flexible, they do have a rubber sole that grips.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
craezie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my favorite for that age is see kai run. They are fully lined with good quality soft leather and have flexible rubber soles. They are normally pricey, but I have bought several pairs highly discounted at amazon.com and 6pm.com.

Pedoodles are nice too, but See Kai Run is definitely a little better quality.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
GC's Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

See Kai Runs are great, rubberized soft flexible sole, cute patterns. Pedipeds are ok, but a lot of them don't have rubberized soles (just leather), and a few of the ones that do, the soles aren't that flexible. SKR's are a bit pricey, though. We also have a pair of the Robeez tredz and love them; super cute, you can get them with velcro, and the sole is very flexible (DS likes these best because he can undo the velcro and they have tiny dump trucks on them!). I've heard pedoodles are good shoes, too, but haven't tried them.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love SKR's, and they were the only flexible soled shoe I would buy. They are a bit pricey, but if you can score a deal on slightly used pairs, they are well worth it.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've actually used Robeez for light outdoor use with all my kids so far, and never had trouble with them. I'm assuming that the pediatrician would be afraid of kids slipping and falling because of the lack of traction, but that has never happened at our house. I'd think they are much more likely to slip on the kitchen floor than the sidewalk or lawn!
~Cricket~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
I've actually used Robeez for light outdoor use with all my kids so far, and never had trouble with them. I'm assuming that the pediatrician would be afraid of kids slipping and falling because of the lack of traction, but that has never happened at our house. I'd think they are much more likely to slip on the kitchen floor than the sidewalk or lawn!
That's actually what I was thinking about Robeez. I don't think they'd be particularly slippery except on wood or tile flooring. For light outside use (a one year old probably isn't going to be doing "heavy" outside walking) I think Robeez (or any other leather soft-soled shoe) would be just fine.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
katt
Registered Users

I agree that the Robeez would work just fine outside. DS wore his outside all the time, in gravel, concrete, dirt, and grass. He did fine.

There are other shoes out there: Wiggees have different soles as options, so you may want to check them out.
Look at the 12-24 month sizes.

See Kai Run has the ' smaller' option. I'd go with those first. They have non-slip rubber pad on the bottom so the are still super flexible. which is what you want.
SKR's standard line has 2 different kinds of soles, which you dont' really know until you handle them. One is softer then the other.
The kind that look like the soles are hand-sewn on: Aki are softer then the others: Avery

Even then I didn't put DS in SKRs until he was close to 1.5 and it was cold outside and he wanted to walk.

I also really like Livie and Luca. I get those when I can find a good sale.