Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Still waking every two hours to eat

No flames Mamas, but after 5 babies, I know what I've done right, and I also know what I've done wrong.

If I were in your shoes Mama, I'd do what S Star said, and work out a sleep schedule as soon as possible. If you don't now, it could be months and months till you sleep more than 2 hours at a time.

I would also try (if she'll take it) a bottle of organic formula at her last feeding, or an organic free range egg YOKE , boiled for 4 min. My DS would not take a bottle, so I did the egg yoke, and it worked, and it is also so beneficial for their developing brain. My DD would take a bottle, and it helped her sleep longer periods. http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html

At this age, its very easy to let them cry it out for short periods of time. My DS would be so tired, and I'd nurse him, and he'd wake up, and cry. So I'd lay him down in the bassinett and pat his back...yes he'd cry, but he knew I was there, he wasn't hungry, or wet, just exhausted. After a few days of this, he began sleeping SOO much better!

If you wait longer, they begin sitting up and then standing up, and at that point, its much harder.

My other advice would be to look into an Amby hammock crib http://ambybaby.com/ and if that's out of budget, then try the carseat. Also white noise can help as well.

Also, I had a few babies who refused to sleep on their backs. After nights of no sleep except on my chest, belly to belly, I put them to sleep on their bellies, and wola, they slept! (I did a lot of research on sids before doing this though...its SOOO much more than belly sleeping..(.smoking, not BFing, vaccinating, pillows...etc)

Lack of sleep can seriously cause so many issues, and its no fun for you or those your around~ ask my husband

Anyways, I HTH at least a little.

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasures Of Mine View Post
No flames Mamas, but after 5 babies, I know what I've done right, and I also know what I've done wrong.

If I were in your shoes Mama, I'd do what S Star said, and work out a sleep schedule as soon as possible. If you don't now, it could be months and months till you sleep more than 2 hours at a time.

I would also try (if she'll take it) a bottle of organic formula at her last feeding, or an organic free range egg YOKE , boiled for 4 min. My DS would not take a bottle, so I did the egg yoke, and it worked, and it is also so beneficial for their developing brain. My DD would take a bottle, and it helped her sleep longer periods. http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html

At this age, its very easy to let them cry it out for short periods of time. My DS would be so tired, and I'd nurse him, and he'd wake up, and cry. So I'd lay him down in the bassinett and pat his back...yes he'd cry, but he knew I was there, he wasn't hungry, or wet, just exhausted. After a few days of this, he began sleeping SOO much better!

If you wait longer, they begin sitting up and then standing up, and at that point, its much harder.

My other advice would be to look into an Amby hammock crib http://ambybaby.com/ and if that's out of budget, then try the carseat. Also white noise can help as well.

Also, I had a few babies who refused to sleep on their backs. After nights of no sleep except on my chest, belly to belly, I put them to sleep on their bellies, and wola, they slept! (I did a lot of research on sids before doing this though...its SOOO much more than belly sleeping..(.smoking, not BFing, vaccinating, pillows...etc)

Lack of sleep can seriously cause so many issues, and its no fun for you or those your around~ ask my husband

Anyways, I HTH at least a little.
Let me guess, fan of the Pearls or Ezzo.

Babies who are breastfed should not get anything OTHER THAN BREASTMILK for the FIRST SIX MONTHS. And yes, that includes formula. Here's a good article: http://www.breastfeed.com/articles/issues-for-mom/the-case-for-the-virgin-gut-3451/

Also, babies who cry it out release stress hormones, it's not good for them to do and it can even cause a baby to stop growing. Not to mention, crying it out should not be done before six months of age (shouldn't be done at all, really).

One of the things that really helped with those periods of not getting much sleep was to have hubby help. My husband was GREAT for some of the overnight stuff. One of the things he would do (and only HE did this) was to bounce lightly on an exercise ball while holding our daughter. Many times, this helped her to sleep because it mimics what it would have been like for her in the womb when I was walking around. Sometimes it didn't work so then hubby would bring her to me for a feeding but really get him to help, he fathered the child, he should help too.

It's a matter of balance really but the thing to keep in mind is that there ARE reasons for this, babies do NOT do this to be manipulative or mean, they do this due to biological signals that are totally normal. They were designed to be this way. The reason that it is such a problem for so many parents is that our society has moved AWAY from what used to be natural by putting babies in cribs and not holding babies all the time. These were VERY normal things for parents to do until recently. The thing to also keep in mind is this: babies are not fully developed when they are born. They have to be born early in a sense because if they were to stay inside of us as long as they really need to, their heads would be too big to be born. So they come out earlier than they should really and because of that, NEED that close care from mom SO much more than many other species do. I know that it's hard to keep in mind when one is so tired but it really is important to the infant to get that night care just as much as the care they receive during the day.

The only thing I have to say about the stomach sleeping is if you do this, don't EVER put your infant in day care. Most of them HAVE to put the baby to sleep on their backs, they CANNOT let them sleep on their stomachs or sleep in the swing. So then a baby who can't sleep on their back really ends up rather disliked by childcare providers. I know, my older sister had an in-home daycare and HATED when she got babies that could not sleep on their backs. She even kicked out some of the ones who were especially difficult at naptime. So, that's all I wanted to say about that one but once babies are able to roll over, the back/front thing is not as big of a deal anyway.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

nak...my 8 mo still wakes every 2-3 hours and i think i am used to it and it no longer bothers me...i secretly will be a little sad when he no longer needs me at night
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=NATTYBATSMOM;6826234]Let me guess, fan of the Pearls or Ezzo.

I honestly have no idea what you r talking about? Off to google it....
Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No luck on google, what is she talking about Mamas?

Oh and awesome article! Never heard it like that...So that means if I gave my DD a bottle 1x every other week, I ruined her intestinal flora?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #16
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my earlier post, I wasn't recommending CIO before 6 months, just not picking the baby up *instantly* every time she cried. Trying to get her used to a bed. I have nothing against co-sleeping, for people it works for, but I think second+ children need to learn to be *able* to sleep on their own, or it can be impossible for an SAHM to get them the sleep they need. I'm having a huge battle with this. Tonight, for example:

6:45 DD2 hit her sleepy time. I successfully put her (asleep) in her bed. Yay! Great cheers! I'd rather put her down drowsy, but it was perfect timing!

7:10 DD1 didn't want her lights out. Screamed at me, and woke DD2 up. Because DD2 is unwilling to be in her bed awake, I had to go get her.

DD1 was having a hard evening, and spent the next 35 minutes coming out of her room, wailing, etc. Every time I went to her, DD2 woke all the way up again.

Bottom line: I lost the sleepy "window" and couldn't get DD2 back down until 8:50. Some nights it's 10:00 or 11:00.

And during the day, there's the same issue: if I can't put her in her bed, and just try to get her a nap on my lap, she's apt to wake up if DD1 laughs, and then that nap is shot. It's not that she's not tired. I just have to be able to put her in a room away from DD1 and *leave* her there sometimes, and I almost never can.

Talking about parents formerly co-sleeping and nursing for minutes here and there -- I bet a lot of that happened in less industrialized cultures, where the mamas had a village helping them raise the kids, and weren't at home by themselves with two or three....
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #17
doodah
Registered Users
seller

well every kid is different and 3 months is still very young. It sounds like you are doing a great job though. I agree with the posters that recommended making sure she is getting larger meals less often and also wearing herself out betweens naps. Don't feel like you HAVE to do co-sleeping, etc. if it is not working for you. Just do whatever is right for your family and your sanity. We co-slept for five months and then moved dd to her own crib. She was waking up and snacking out of habit at night and it was totally not necessary. She learned to fill up at meal times because nothing was going to be offered 10 minutes later. We also did a variation of CIO. Might seem harsh to some mamas but I work at home and needed her to sleep thru the night for my own sanity (which she was doing within days of the changes we made). I now have a 15 month old that naps and sleeps regularly in her own twin size bed. She can crawl out but doesn't as we are very consistent with sleep routines. She is on her way to be potty trained already so obviously I am doing something right with her. Good luck to you and I hope you find your solution soon!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #18
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Regarding the article....I did not read it but seriously, there are so many "new findings" coming out from various "experts" that you really will go crazy if you take each one seriously. I HAD to supplement with formula with my daughter in order to breastfeed because I was not making enough milk. Eventually, I built up my milk supply and do personally believe that breast milk was best for her. However, should I have stopped just because I couldn't do ALL breast milk? I did the best I could for my daughter. She is very healthy, very big for her age and advanced in speech and other areas. Again, to the OP, just do the best you can and that will make you a great mom! It is nice to get ideas on the forums but take it all with a grain of salt.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #19
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I HAD to supplement with formula with my daughter in order to breastfeed because I was not making enough milk. Eventually, I built up my milk supply and do personally believe that breast milk was best for her. However, should I have stopped just because I couldn't do ALL breast milk? I did the best I could for my daughter. She is very healthy, very big for her age and advanced in speech and other areas. Again, to the OP, just do the best you can and that will make you a great mom! It is nice to get ideas on the forums but take it all with a grain of salt.
There is a HUGE difference between using formula to help with supply and being able to at least do SOME breastfeeding and introducing a bottle of formula JUST to get a baby to sleep through the night, especially as the reason that formula helps the child sleep through the night is because formula doesn't digest as well as breastmilk does. When it comes to things like these, I feel that the more information a mom has, the better a decision she can make for her child.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

I also supplement with formula. I have a low supply and if i don't supplement at night he spends 5 hours a night clusterfeeding. my nipples were getting so sore I wanted to stop bf altogether! however it doesn't help him sleep at night. a little longer maybe but not a huge difference.
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote