Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
The*Fab*Four
Mama behind Jem*Jam Customs!
Formerly: Jem*Jam Customs
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mamas of Large families (7 or more) crock pot cooking?

How big is your crock pot?

I have a small one and it just doesn't hold enough.
I want to buy a larger one, but I am looking for recommendations.

Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

J{4.04}, J{11.05}, J {8.09}, J {3.11}
Sweet Baby Girl J will arrive the week of May 12th {34w} due to a Placenta Percreta.
The*Fab*Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
epernat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mamas of Large families (7 or more) crock pot cooking?

I only have four kids now, but my husband is a dairy farmer and eats more than two people combined! I have a Rival crock-pot. I honestly can't remember how many quarts it is, but I can put a big chicken in it! I love it because you can take out the "crock" and wash it in the sink, or soak it or even put it in the dishwasher!!!!
epernat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
stanfordmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have 9 kids (age 16 - 5 mo)and we do foster care on top of that. Our crock pot cooking is now in a Nesco roaster. I bought a "crock pot" a year ago and just opened it Friday. My intent was to use it for small meals at our camper. I used it on Friday for sloppy joes to hold the meat. Then we served it on buns with chips. I found that for our family the Nesco holds about the same as a 4 gal pot. (about 18 qts) but we don't fill totally due to stirring needs. It will roast 2 large chickens side by side for me with plenty of stock to boot!
stanfordmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

We use a crock pot a lot. We have this one~ http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10390172
We are actually going to get a second one to put side dishes in. {potatoes, etc} We can actually get a lot of food in the one. I think the oval shape helps a lot too. I had a round one, but because of that shape, it just didn't hold what the oval shape holds.

My DH doesn't mind buying another one because we use ours a lot. It saves a lot of money from eating out. Plus it gives us tasty, healthy food that no one has to slave over. Just put it in the crock pot and forget it until it is time to eat!

There are lots of great tasting recipes for the crockpot too. You can either buy some cookbooks, look online for recipes, or get some crockpot cookbooks from the library.

HTHs!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Forgot to add that we have the 6 qt Oval Size.

It says it is ideal for 6+ People or 6 lb Roast

My DH has made a small turkey in ours twice
Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
AngelBee
Registered Users

Taking notes...
Old 05-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I only have three kids so far, but we have two crock pots so that we can make a meat portion and a vegetarian portion. I've also used the extra one to cook side dishes or desserts.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
mama2tstnjb
Registered Users
seller

We use an electric turkey roaster for our crock pot. Its like an oven on top of the counter which we can set the temp to whatever we like. It works great for us. I can put a roast, potatoes, carrots, ect in it and have plenty of room for enough to feed the whole bunch!
mama2tstnjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm pretty sure mine is the 6 qt oval, too. Made by Corningware Electrics. One of the best Freecycle finds I've had yet!

We are a family of 6 (my 2 oldest are grown and moved out), but I've made meals for bigger families than ours. I made 6 lbs of roast beef to shred up and make bbq beef sandwiches not too long ago.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
mamakven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperingMama View Post
We use a crock pot a lot. We have this one~ http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10390172
We are actually going to get a second one to put side dishes in. {potatoes, etc} We can actually get a lot of food in the one. I think the oval shape helps a lot too. I had a round one, but because of that shape, it just didn't hold what the oval shape holds.

My DH doesn't mind buying another one because we use ours a lot. It saves a lot of money from eating out. Plus it gives us tasty, healthy food that no one has to slave over. Just put it in the crock pot and forget it until it is time to eat!

There are lots of great tasting recipes for the crockpot too. You can either buy some cookbooks, look online for recipes, or get some crockpot cookbooks from the library.

HTHs!
This is the same one i use for our family of 7, including a 14yo boy and 10 yo boy and we usually have enough for leftovers :-) i'm glad someone else posted it because i still don't have enough posts to post a link!
rebecca
mamakven is offline   Reply With Quote