Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He-ey! A clerk asked me this afternoon...

... "Are you the grandma?"

I'm 38, with a 3 year old and a 9 month old, and everyone USED to have trouble believing I'm as old as I am! And the clerk was in her 50s or 60s, not some teenage twerp who thinks everyone above 22 is ancient. I guess it's time to start learning to apply eye-bag concealer....

Oh, and then when I told DH, "Guess what a clerk said to me today?", he guessed correctly!

ETA: Here I am last August:

Advertisement

Last edited by S Starr; 04-03-2009 at 05:41 PM.
S Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: He-ey! A clerk asked me this afternoon...

wow that's rough. I get the "are you pregnant?" but I am just fat. People need to stop talking!

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

People need to realize that that there are GREAT moms out there that are not teens or young 20s. It is always safer to assume the best in a situation....she should have asked if you were the mom. Sometimes I am unsure if it is the mom or grandma (I have worked at a bank so I had to know who was the mom for kids opening up accounts). I think it is safer to assume mom. There are many young grandmas out there but ALSO there are moms out there that aren't in there 20s. It's is totally normal but somehow people don't get it. My mom just turned 50 and she has a second grader.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boysmama View Post
wow that's rough. I get the "are you pregnant?" but I am just fat. People need to stop talking!
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I've wondered sometimes, like at a park, if a grownup is the mother or grandmother, but I always try to skirt the issue, like by talking to the child instead of asking "How old is your child?" And as to the "are you pregnant?" -- zipped lips here!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awww hugs I have got that twice now, once from a checker in the grocery store and once a woman who was parked next to me and talking.
Dd yelling mommy at me gave them no clue I used to get crap for being "not old enough looking" if I was in a bar etc. Now I guess my age caught up with me finally. It sucks.
But I'm an older mom anyway, just not old enough to be grandma (yet) I hope.

Last edited by MCR; 04-02-2009 at 11:24 PM.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

I've been asked if I'm the nanny...

yea people need to not.

hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:37 AM   #7
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my! I'd probably have burst into tears!

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh man, not looking forward to that! Especially if I end up with as much gray hair in 12 years as my old sister does now. *sigh* But what's new? At 13, people thought I looked 18 and I've NEVER been carded. It sucks. Stupid gray hair that I started getting at 14. Pooh.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:12 AM   #9
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

what's really sad is there are lots of 38 year old grandmas. I don't think it was bc you look old, but bc most moms are so darn young. i mean i was 24 and way older than most people in my own family are when they have their first kids. Someone asked my dad that when i was little (he was 30 when i was born and 40 when my youngest sibling was born). He said something like, "just bc i wasn't a stupid teen like you..." Not the way to handle it, but it really hurt his feelings too. I wouldn't take it personal, just take it as a sad reflection of how many accidental teen moms we have in this country. Nothing wrong with the on purpose ones!
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #10
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson View Post
what's really sad is there are lots of 38 year old grandmas. I don't think it was bc you look old, but bc most moms are so darn young. i mean i was 24 and way older than most people in my own family are when they have their first kids. Someone asked my dad that when i was little (he was 30 when i was born and 40 when my youngest sibling was born). He said something like, "just bc i wasn't a stupid teen like you..." Not the way to handle it, but it really hurt his feelings too. I wouldn't take it personal, just take it as a sad reflection of how many accidental teen moms we have in this country. Nothing wrong with the on purpose ones!
Yeah, definitely have seen a lot of that too, especially in my younger sister's crowd, she and her friends were in their mid-late teens when they all had kids. I was 25 and the FIRST in my group of friends and the rest are just now STARTING to catch up with me. I was actually older than most of my family have had kids, my mom and older sister were both 21. My grandmother was the oldest at 33 and my younger sister was the youngest at 18. But I wasn't ready for kids at 18 or at 21 so I waited a little longer. lol I probably won't have anymore though. Fertility in my family has been kind of iffy this generation with a lot of pregnancy losses. My younger sister, while she's only 23, will not be having anymore. When she ended up having a cesarean with her last one, she got a tubal at the same time. In a five year period, she's at six pregnancies but only three live births. The other three were two miscarriages and a stillbirth.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote