Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

delete

update in post 160

Advertisement

Last edited by mycdsqueaker; 06-15-2009 at 07:04 AM.
mycdsqueaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WIC Changes? Near Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom92905 View Post
Sometimes those people do a real bang up job of making people feel like crud.

So apparently they are only covering Good start now even if you have a script from the DR???????? DD is on Alimentum and I got told that he shouldn't have even written it (and this is the very short version of the lecture I got). We totally can't afford $25 a can for her formula.

Best of all I got told I might as well be scooping the water from the toilet since I have been using city water to make her formula

Mama I hadn't heard about these new rules. As for the water as long as your cities water is safe to drink for everyone else you baby is fine in drinking it mixed with formula. You have to keep in mind that you are basically getting told what the WIC person on thoughts on this are. It doesn't mean anything. I would call another WIC office in your state and see if that is truly the rules about the formula having to be Good Start..I would think having a DR. Script would definitly supercede that. WIC cannot dispense medical advice and denying a need medically approved formula doesn't sound right.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Rollins4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I completely agree with Kimmyann! Doc orders are what needs to be followed here.

ETA: I would have told them to start supplying bottled water! Morons!
Rollins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
ladybenz
following my heart to the art

My Mood:

My doctor's office suggests tap water be mixed with formula because babies need the flouride to strengthen their growing teeth.

And to you mama. Perhaps you can write to the makers of alimentum and get some coupons?
ladybenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom92905 View Post
Sometimes those people do a real bang up job of making people feel like crud.

So apparently they are only covering Good start now even if you have a script from the DR???????? DD is on Alimentum and I got told that he shouldn't have even written it (and this is the very short version of the lecture I got). We totally can't afford $25 a can for her formula.

Best of all I got told I might as well be scooping the water from the toilet since I have been using city water to make her formula
I hate WIC for this very reason. The stupid thing is they'll "grandfather" baby is who are six months and older (and moving on to solids so they would ACTUALLY tolerate the change better) but infants under six months old have to switch (and those are the ones who usually CANNOT tolerate it!). This happened with my niece when she was about five months old and the switch gave her constipation issues that she STILL HAS. And WIC wouldn't let my sister get anything else, not even with a script, even though the doctor said it was the formula causing the constipation issues. My niece was born in August of 2005 too, has been off of formula since August of 2006 and as I mentioned, still has issues BECAUSE of Good Start.

Any chance at all of relactating? I ask because my younger sister just had her third baby about a month ago and after a day decided to put her on formula. Well, after a week, the baby started getting constipated so my sister relatched her with success. I have read that within a four month period, it COULD be done, the mom just needs a lot of support and help to do this including help with herbs to get the milk supply back up so it's not always possible but it's not impossible either. It depends though on the baby since I know some little ones can have really bad allergies and therefore make it almost impossible to breastfeed but I'm not sure of your situation so I thought I'd throw that out at you.

Unfortunately, and I know this really sucks, but WIC pretty much goes with the lowest bidder and it's not always the stuff that all babies can tolerate. That's one of the problems with WIC, lack of options for many parents. Even though I was breastfeeding, we were off of WIC not long after my daughter turned six months and after a certain point, it would have been pointless for us to even get WIC because most of the stuff we got wasn't covered. The program is meant to keep babies from failure to thrive and that's about it. But my understanding is even the cheap formula, they don't cover all of the cans a mom would need in a month leaving many moms trying to figure out how to cover it all.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
lada
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is the reason I'm so lucky and thankful I breastfed. The dietary restrictions were a huge pain, but we could not have afforded $25 a can formula, and we didn't qualify for WIC.

I would call and ask to speak to someone in charge. If the rules really have changed, unfortunately there's not a lot you can do about it. Hugs!

Love you, Heather! 4/23/77~4/16/09
Ladies, go feel your boobies!!!!
lada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Beaker
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
Mama I hadn't heard about these new rules. As for the water as long as your cities water is safe to drink for everyone else you baby is fine in drinking it mixed with formula. You have to keep in mind that you are basically getting told what the WIC person on thoughts on this are. It doesn't mean anything. I would call another WIC office in your state and see if that is truly the rules about the formula having to be Good Start..I would think having a DR. Script would definitly supercede that. WIC cannot dispense medical advice and denying a need medically approved formula doesn't sound right.
I totally agree. Our pedi warned us about WIC and the medical advice. They go too far too often. He has had kids come in to his office sick because of WIC.
Can you qualify for food stamps? Maybe there is a church nearby that would help.
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
seller

I have thought about the relactating option. She is only 5 weeks old. I ALWAYS have high levels of colustrum (even not preggo) so I wonder if it would be easier to do
Old 04-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
I totally agree. Our pedi warned us about WIC and the medical advice. They go too far too often. He has had kids come in to his office sick because of WIC.
Can you qualify for food stamps? Maybe there is a church nearby that would help.

I emailed the pedi and told him everything they told me. No we can't qualify because we make to much. I do get the similac checks for $5 off and I am sure I can probably get coupons from the pedi so I might be able to get a can for $15 which is a little more doable! I am sure he will give us samples as well.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
ladybenz
following my heart to the art

My Mood:

Definitely try relactating if you are considering it. There's lots of info about it on http://kellymom.com

And I KNOW you can get lots of support and help from the wonderful breastfeeding mamas here.

That said, I know lots of formula companies will give you coupons if you ask them. I breastfeed my boys, and we never supplemented, but on a twin website I go to, lots of the mamas had to supplement and many of them got coupons just by sending emails to the formula companies. It couldn't hurt to try.
ladybenz is offline   Reply With Quote