Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #21
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

Re: WIC Changes? Near Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
Have you tried to see if your baby will latch on? You may not need a whole lot of help to get things going again

I work FT so a pump is a necessity.

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #22
NataschaN
Banned

Breastmilk is free

Try to re-lactate. It will work.

As for WIC being a PITA. I have heard this many times over. We actualt qualified for WIC back when I was oregnant with our son but we did not needed it, so I refused to get it. Now I heard that WIC gives you a breastpump if you breastfeed, so I wish I would have know that back then.
Don't let them walk all over you. Complain. Write letters. Have your Pedi contact them. They are JUST WIC, not your parents or commanders. Tell them to do their job and not to bully you.
NataschaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #23
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Just want to check in and offer some but also tell you that in most states you don't have to live in the town you receive your wic checks from. You can transfer to a different office, even using a "bogus" reason. For example, I lived in town X but received checks in town Y 20minutes away because I liked them better but told them that it was more convenient for me because I had to drop my mom off at work everyday anyway so I was in that area. Also, there's a wic office closer to my house in town Y because we live on the very outskirts of town X so they've told me at my wic office many times that if I prefer I can receive checks at the office in town Y. So you don't have to reside in the town you receive checks in and if you hate the office you go to now because they randomly make up rules, you can switch to a different office and possibly get better service. But I agree with most people lthat barring re-lactation, you should raise a stink and tell them that her pedi prescribed this formula and they need to provide it. Also, if you are on state health insurance(well, if the baby is), you may be able to get a pump prescribed to you for the purposes of re-lactation. If the pedi says that your daughter would do better on breastmilk and says you need a pump for relactation, you can call your ins company and tell them and they may give it to you for free with a prescription from the doctor. I have medicaid and my youngest was born almost 2 months premature. We got a medela symphony(it's a hospital-grade pump) prescribed to us before I left the hospital for 3 months. I was allowed another 3 months if our breastfeeding relationship wasn't established by then. It was completely free to me because her neonatologist said I needed it to maintain my supply until she came home because she was low-birthweight and premature and too fragile for formula. WIC doesn't provide pumps in my state so otherwise I would have been out of luck.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #24
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would go back and nicely explain that anything else is not an option and that you've called around and that there don't seem to be any changes that would prevent your daughter from staying on what is working for her and that you would like to get your checked re-made to include the alimentum. Sometimes you just have to be tough and stand your ground with WIC.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #25
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataschaN View Post
Breastmilk is free

Try to re-lactate. It will work.

As for WIC being a PITA. I have heard this many times over. We actualt qualified for WIC back when I was oregnant with our son but we did not needed it, so I refused to get it. Now I heard that WIC gives you a breastpump if you breastfeed, so I wish I would have know that back then.
Don't let them walk all over you. Complain. Write letters. Have your Pedi contact them. They are JUST WIC, not your parents or commanders. Tell them to do their job and not to bully you.

Yes....its not so simple because I am on meds so I need to figure something out that will work for both of us.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #26
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
Just want to check in and offer some but also tell you that in most states you don't have to live in the town you receive your wic checks from. You can transfer to a different office, even using a "bogus" reason. For example, I lived in town X but received checks in town Y 20minutes away because I liked them better but told them that it was more convenient for me because I had to drop my mom off at work everyday anyway so I was in that area. Also, there's a wic office closer to my house in town Y because we live on the very outskirts of town X so they've told me at my wic office many times that if I prefer I can receive checks at the office in town Y. So you don't have to reside in the town you receive checks in and if you hate the office you go to now because they randomly make up rules, you can switch to a different office and possibly get better service. But I agree with most people lthat barring re-lactation, you should raise a stink and tell them that her pedi prescribed this formula and they need to provide it. Also, if you are on state health insurance(well, if the baby is), you may be able to get a pump prescribed to you for the purposes of re-lactation. If the pedi says that your daughter would do better on breastmilk and says you need a pump for relactation, you can call your ins company and tell them and they may give it to you for free with a prescription from the doctor. I have medicaid and my youngest was born almost 2 months premature. We got a medela symphony(it's a hospital-grade pump) prescribed to us before I left the hospital for 3 months. I was allowed another 3 months if our breastfeeding relationship wasn't established by then. It was completely free to me because her neonatologist said I needed it to maintain my supply until she came home because she was low-birthweight and premature and too fragile for formula. WIC doesn't provide pumps in my state so otherwise I would have been out of luck.
There are a couple really nice nutritionists there...I just seem to never get them LOL. No we don't have state insurance (Medicaid) but I can check to see if maybe my plan would cover one. Thanks for that great idea
Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #27
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom92905 View Post
I have thought about the relactating option. She is only 5 weeks old. I ALWAYS have high levels of colustrum (even not preggo) so I wonder if it would be easier to do
I would definitely go for it! There are SO many benefits to the breastfeeding but I know how hard it can be for many moms because support can just be SO hard to find! If it hadn't been for my husband, I'm not sure I would have gotten as far as I have and that was knowing that us kids (and therefore our kids) have issues on formula.

There's also the option of an SNS system which is a system of tubes that lead from a bag and ends at the nipple and goes into the baby's mouth with the nipple and the bag can have either expressed breastmilk or formula but it helps get the supply of the breastmilk up while keeping baby's frustration at bay because they do get something and it helps them to stay ON the breast. Another thing that can be done is have a weekend where hubby can help out and you can stay in bed that whole weekend with the baby, skin to skin and just nurse, nurse, nurse. That I recommended to my little sister (after her baby had been off of the breast a whole week) and it helped her out a lot.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #28
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom92905 View Post
Gonna look into it. I have to figure out something about a pump...I sold mine to a mama on here we totally can't afford one right now.
WIC may be able to provide one (you have to ask) or your insurance company may even cover one. Mine did and I was on medical assistance. I would send you my pump but I'm in South Korea, and the pump is in the states with my younger sister. Seek out the hospital's lactation consultant, that was how I was able to get mine.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #29
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, you have gotten lots of good advice already.

WIC always does a good job of making me feel like poo too, if it makes you feel any better. And I mixed our formula with tap water.

The only thing I could suggest on the formula issue is to have them call the doctor. I have a problem with my milk drying up prematurely (even on Reglan ) and my middle child had a bunch of weight gain issues because of it. The doctor wrote me a script for the preemie formula to help her gain weight, and WIC gave me a hard time about. I just kept telling them over and over that her DOCTOR said she needed to be on it, here's the prescription. Finally the nutritionist called the doctor and confirmed it with him.

Hope you can find a way to make it work for you.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #30
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATTYBATSMOM View Post
WIC may be able to provide one (you have to ask) or your insurance company may even cover one. Mine did and I was on medical assistance. I would send you my pump but I'm in South Korea, and the pump is in the states with my younger sister. Seek out the hospital's lactation consultant, that was how I was able to get mine.
Just called and my ins. doesn't cover them. I will call WIC and ask about it. Thanks for the thought