Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Registered Users
3 mth old-introducing binkie and new sleep spot?

Well I'm very happy that after struggling for 2 mnth learning to bf my son loves my boobies so much - buuuttt I really don't want to be his binkie anymore. Its also gotten worse that now in the day he'll only nap with one in his mouth. Second problem is because his reflux was so bad he would only go to sleep for the night in the swing. Well he also has this problem of his head being sideways that the dr. said was unrelated to the swing and we are having to do stretches and physical therapy for it.

So I want him to learn to sleep in his cosleeper at night and in the day. Last night was the first night and went well. He finally stayed down to sleep at 10 (an hour later than usual) woke to feed at three, slept in my bed at that point and fed again at 6:30. Problem are in the day. We've tried yesterday and today not going well for nap. So I wanted him to have some relief and tried giving him the binkie. It calms him but he doesnt understand how to keep it in his mouth or how to suck it. we struggled an hour and half to get him to stay asleep and then it was only a 30 min nap-i know he needs more.

what should i do? keep trying with the binkie? I'm trying to unlatch every time he decides to nap on me, and also so he can get a more effective feeding. i like the bonding and letting him sleep a little but now its out of hand and he wants to sleep all day on my boob without even eating, just in his mouth!

Mama to Ledion Jan 11, 2009 Sofiola August 7,2010
Chessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: 3 mth old-introducing binkie and new sleep spot?

I know there are many mamas that are adamantly against a binkie but I can only give my personal experience. It sounds like you are needing a change to keep your sanity at this point. Do whatever it takes to get him to nap and get yourself rested. You cannot be the best mom if you are exhausted and at your wits end. I would keep working on trying to get him to take the binkie otherwise you will be his paci until who knows how long. Have you tried different types of pacis? My daughter always did much better on the orthodontic style and our breastfeeding teacher said this was the best type if you are wanting to avoid nipple confusion. My dd liked the Gerber nuks. If your son has reflux, I am guessing he would like to be inclined at all times for sleep. Have you tried swaddling? Some swaddling blankets go up to the neck and will help hold that paci in place. Besides that, I would also concentrate on getting him to eat larger meals less often so he is not snacking all day. That should help with the reflux too since his digestive system will not be working all day every day. Hang in there and hope you find something that works asap!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: 3 mth old-introducing binkie and new sleep spot?

for more info
oherin is offline   Reply With Quote