Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

Food Processors... What do you use yours for???

I just scored a 6-cup food processor from Wal-mart for only $5 on clearance (originally $25.) I was so caught up with getting a great deal that I didn't stop to wonder what on earth I needed a food processor FOR

I remember that back when I was trying to make my own detergent I wished I had a FP so that I could shaving up the soap easier (like the instructions said to.) Other than that, I have no clue what people DO with food processors.

Sooooo.... please share mamas

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Food Processors... What do you use yours for???

My DH got one for me for Christmas, though I have no idea why. So far I've used it to make salsa. I also use it to chop up a lot of veggies if I'm doing something like soup - my kids won't eat them if they are too big of pieces, and this saves time. If DS hadn't gone straight to table food I would have also used it for making homemade baby food.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Heyheybaby83
Registered Users

They're good for making pastry dough, pesto, chopping things up, etc. Sorry, I'm NAK, so it's hard to elaborate a lot! That's an awesome deal you got, though!
Heyheybaby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
My DH got one for me for Christmas, though I have no idea why. So far I've used it to make salsa. I also use it to chop up a lot of veggies if I'm doing something like soup - my kids won't eat them if they are too big of pieces, and this saves time. If DS hadn't gone straight to table food I would have also used it for making homemade baby food.
Everyone I've talked to says they're great for baby food. Problem is, our 10-month-old has never really had an interest in pureed foods either. I do like the idea of using it for veggies that I cook with. I hate it when DH cuts up onions because he makes them way to big for me and the kids. This would be great for prepping veggies for chili, soups, tacos and stuff. Less dishes to wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyheybaby83 View Post
They're good for making pastry dough, pesto, chopping things up, etc. Sorry, I'm NAK, so it's hard to elaborate a lot! That's an awesome deal you got, though!
OMG-- we love Pesto! I never though of it. I just looked up an Italian pesto recipe and I am so excited to try it
Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Cindydg
Registered Users

My Mood:

We use to make baby food, nut milk and lots of other fun stuff. Anything a blendar can do your FP should do better!
Cindy
http://vegetarianmamma.blogspot.com
Cindydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used mine a ton for babyfood. Now I use it for making salsa and laundry detergent mostly. lol I do chop my onions in it a lot for other things though or to just throw in the freezer if I think they'll go bad before I can use the whole bag.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
Becky32982
Registered Users

My Mood:

I also use mine to make baby food and chop up veggies for dinner. It works on cheese too.

I have a dough attachment so I can mix dough but I don't use it very often.

My favorite thing to make in my processor is Hummus. I dont make it authentic because I cant find any tahini out here in the middle of nowhere. I use dried chickpeas that I have cooked and I puree it with olive oil, water, salt, and garlic. It is so good and tastes so fresh!

I love Swagbucks!!! I earn free giftcards just by searching the web. SWAGBUCKS
Becky32982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
melyaro
Registered Users
seller

I only like onions super duper small, so I chop them very fine in there, then freeze them in a thin layer on a cookie sheet. After they are frozen I break them into smaller pieces and put in a ziplock... so much easier when a recipe calls for chopped onions!

I also use it to puree vegetables to hide in smoothies (my youngest is on veggie strike right now). I steam spinach and carrots and puree with some fruit until completely smooth, then add a tub of yogurt. Couldn't live without the food processor!
melyaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
bezmommy1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband brought one home from his dad's house that is probably 20 years old but had never been out of the box I plan to use it mostly for shredding cheese, veggies etc. I just learned how to make hummus and have been using the blender, so this will work much better. I want to try making olive oil mayo too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
I used mine a ton for babyfood. Now I use it for making salsa and laundry detergent mostly. lol I do chop my onions in it a lot for other things though or to just throw in the freezer if I think they'll go bad before I can use the whole bag.
I make my own laundry soap too and have been shredding it by hand. You don't notice the soap leaving any residual scent in the plastic bowl? I would love to be able to use mine for shredding soap!
bezmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
ttmomma
Registered Users
Formerly: ree**23
seller

My Mood:

Collecting dust ;(

Recovering CD addict & momma to DS, who refuses to wear CD's no matter how fluffy
ttmomma is offline   Reply With Quote