Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
HappyHank
Registered Users

My Mood:
Bread machines

I want to get one, but have some quesions.
If you have one, which one? do you like it? Can you make WW with it? How hard is it to use? Does it take up space? What DON't you like about it?

Thanks!

Advertisement

HappyHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
ericamichelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bread machines

I have one and use it all the time. We don't buy bread from the grocery anymore.

I'm picky and want whole wheat with no preservatives and no HFCS.

I make batches in advance and keep them in ziplocs that I reuse. Then when I want to make a loaf of bread, I add my wet ingredients, yeast, and the contents of a ziploc bag.

I have the Corner Bakery by The Breadman, and it makes a vertical loaf. If I could have any machine, I would get a double paddle horizontal loaf maker.

When I want to store bread from my vertical loaf, first I cut the loaf in half vertically, then I slice each of those halves into serving slices. Much easier to handle that way. Then I place the slices into a Tupperware celery crisper (vintage, not sure if they still make them.) Fits the slices perfectly, and fits in the fridge perfectly.

I keep my bread machine in the pantry so it is out of the way.

My other favorites are dough for focaccia bread, dough for rolls, etc.

I'm getting hungry now, lol.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
hpalmatier
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love mine. We use our on special occasions but you can use it to make anything. I havent been that brave to try much. Mine does take up quite a bit of room but I just store it under the cabinets.
hpalmatier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is it hard to make bread? I've never done it but I like the thought of a bread maker.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Can you freeze the bread from the bread machine?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLil'Mountaineers View Post
Can you freeze the bread from the bread machine?
Yes, we freeze bread all the time. Just make sure you slice it before you freeze it or else you have to defrost the whole thing just to get a few slices. We also have the Corner Bakery Breadman baker and have used it for years with great success. My only complaint is that the non-stick coating on the paddle is coming off and when I tried to get a non non-stick one, they told me one doesn't exist and I could buy a replacement for like $20 plus shipping!! What I want is bread machine with a stainless steel paddle.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have the breadmaker machine that starts with a z. Ok, the brand is called Zojirushi. It makes good bread but the loaf isn't always even on the top. We eat it anyways . I have been using it a lot lately and it is good to have around if you run out of store bought bread. Bread with active yeast takes like 3 hours. It does take up a lot of space.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a bread machine and I like the ease of it, but I've had a hard time finding recipes that I really liked for it. Most of them seemed to be lacking in ...something. I don't know what. What I have learned (thanks to the magic of the internet, as well as my sweet old Grandma who has been using a bread machine for decades) is that you get better bread out of it if you use it for the dough cycle and then bake the actual loaf in the oven. However, if you have a KitchenAid mixer, you can do the same with that, I suppose (I have the mixer and believe it or not, I have never tried making bread with it).
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
momtoamiracle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom gave me her Sunbeam since she prefers her Kitchenaid mixer to make bread.

I love it, takes up little room on the counter, is very easy to use. I have a fantastic recipe book that has awesome recipes. They come out great every time.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
treyci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a bread machine, too - that sits on top of my refridgerator and has since I got my KitchenAid mixer... do you have both? I would FSOT your bread machine.. ha ha. Or - you can see what sort of stuff you can find on maybe some of the food websites? foodnetwork.com, vegetarian.com, etc. it's worth a shot, at least. the only recipe i have for bread is banana bread my gram makes, it's amazing but you can't make it in a bread machine.
treyci is offline   Reply With Quote